LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2006, 12:31 AM   #1
brgurung
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy same old problem of nic card and sound card detection in 10.2


hi, i tried installing slackware 10.2 today in my PC(dual boot with win xp). installation went fine with x-window configured properly. But i have problem with my sound card and network card.
For sound card, i used 'alsaconf' to configure.... it detects my sound card (snd-hda-intel) and says everything is just fine...but when i play some songs, not even a beep comes......
Another problem is tat it fails to detect my network card (Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection)...i tried 'netconfig' (both during installation n afterwards)...after choosing DHCP as an option (among three choices : Static IP, DHCP, loopback) the screen to 'probe for network card' doesn't show up...it directly goes to 'confirm setup complete' menu... when i do 'ifconfig -a' afterwards, it shows only loopback mode enabled....
i even tried uncommenting the related module in rc.modules...but it gives some error while trying to load the module.....
i know these are common question, asked frequently... but can anybody please show me the light? is there any option other than compiling the new kernel?
 
Old 07-19-2006, 04:18 AM   #2
The_Outlander
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Australia
Distribution: Slackware 12.1
Posts: 235

Rep: Reputation: 30
The e100 module is the correct module for your adapter. It is not listed in rc.modules.

I have the same adapter, and experienced the same problem initially.

Open a terminal and as superuser do;
#modprobe e100

Then do;
#ifconfig

eth0 should show up.

You can then setup your internet connection/network as required.

If modprobe e100 produces errors, then it is not set in your kernel .config file.

Did you compile your own kernel after installing slackware or are you using the 2.4. that comes with slackware.

As far as the sound card is concerned. Just work your way through KDE control panel sound settings and Kmix to make sure that sound is not muted.
Kmix enables you to display the volume control in the tools menu bar. Mixer can be accessed from there.
 
Old 07-19-2006, 07:34 AM   #3
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 11,122
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgurung
hi, i tried installing slackware 10.2 today in my PC(dual boot with win xp). installation went fine with x-window configured properly. But i have problem with my sound card and network card.
For sound card, i used 'alsaconf' to configure.... it detects my sound card (snd-hda-intel) and says everything is just fine...but when i play some songs, not even a beep comes......
Another problem is tat it fails to detect my network card (Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection)...i tried 'netconfig' (both during installation n afterwards)...after choosing DHCP as an option (among three choices : Static IP, DHCP, loopback) the screen to 'probe for network card' doesn't show up...it directly goes to 'confirm setup complete' menu... when i do 'ifconfig -a' afterwards, it shows only loopback mode enabled....
i even tried uncommenting the related module in rc.modules...but it gives some error while trying to load the module.....
i know these are common question, asked frequently... but can anybody please show me the light? is there any option other than compiling the new kernel?
Hi,

For the eth0 device;
Code:
#dmesg |grep eth       #see if the device is recognized
                       #if so then

#ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.10       #give eth0 static IP
#route add default gw 192.168.0.1 #your gateway
#ping 192.168.0.1                 #check gw connection
#ping 72.14.207.99                #ping outside to google.com 
#ping google.com                  #check DNS
If you successfully get the eth0 device up static then you could either run netconfig to set /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf or edit the file.

If the device is not recognized then;
Code:
#modprobe e100                   #probe device
#lsmod                           #should see the module
#netconfig                       #setup eth device
You could now ping as in the first example to check the network out.
 
Old 07-19-2006, 01:05 PM   #4
brgurung
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
hi.....i tried modprobe e100...it worked fine...added it to rc.modules...now i'm able to get connected to internet..thanx a lot guys...

btw, i just wanna ask, is it necessary ( or a good idea) to compile n use new kernel (i.e. 2.6.xx)...i had used sata.i for initial installation instead of bare.i ( which didn't recognize my harddrive)..does that make any difference while installation.....can i use the kernel in cd 2 or its better to download from the net.....n how difficult is the whole process?

thanking you for all the help..this forum is really good...keep it up !!!
 
Old 07-19-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 11,122
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgurung
hi.....i tried modprobe e100...it worked fine...added it to rc.modules...now i'm able to get connected to internet..thanx a lot guys...

btw, i just wanna ask, is it necessary ( or a good idea) to compile n use new kernel (i.e. 2.6.xx)...i had used sata.i for initial installation instead of bare.i ( which didn't recognize my harddrive)..does that make any difference while installation.....can i use the kernel in cd 2 or its better to download from the net.....n how difficult is the whole process?

thanking you for all the help..this forum is really good...keep it up !!!
Hi,

Glad to hear you got the problem solved.

You should start a new thread for the btw. That way the question will have a subject and could be tagged.

To answer; a kernel can be compiled to customize for the installation. You can trim out what is not needed. File systems can be compiled in therefor no initrd or module is necessary.

As for the testing kernel, go ahead an use. You can work with the kernel and modify to suit your needs. If you want bleeding edge then get the current.

Several good references in my sig, shilo's is a good read.
 
Old 03-28-2007, 03:15 AM   #6
mfs_bg
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
How about my problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Outlander
The e100 module is the correct module for your adapter. It is not listed in rc.modules.

I have the same adapter, and experienced the same problem initially.

Open a terminal and as superuser do;
#modprobe e100

Then do;
#ifconfig

eth0 should show up.

You can then setup your internet connection/network as required.

If modprobe e100 produces errors, then it is not set in your kernel .config file.

Did you compile your own kernel after installing slackware or are you using the 2.4. that comes with slackware.

As far as the sound card is concerned. Just work your way through KDE control panel sound settings and Kmix to make sure that sound is not muted.
Kmix enables you to display the volume control in the tools menu bar. Mixer can be accessed from there.

I'm also faced with the same problem.. can't detect my network card and sound problem. I'm tried all the tip given but it's not work. I got this message "FATAL: could not load /lib/modules/2.6.17.13/modules.dep: No such file or directory" . I don't know what it's mean. I'm still new in linux environment.I hope you will help
Thank you
 
Old 03-28-2007, 12:45 PM   #7
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 11,122
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404Reputation: 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfs_bg
I'm also faced with the same problem.. can't detect my network card and sound problem. I'm tried all the tip given but it's not work. I got this message "FATAL: could not load /lib/modules/2.6.17.13/modules.dep: No such file or directory" . I don't know what it's mean. I'm still new in linux environment.I hope you will help
Thank you
Hi,

Welcome to Slackware and LQ!

You should create a new thread to get more exposure.

Too answer to your problem. Did you load the modules for the 2.6.17.13 kernel in /extra?

Read the RELEASE_NOTES.

BTW, check out my sig for some good online reference.
 
Old 03-28-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
mfs_bg
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck
Hi,

Welcome to Slackware and LQ!

You should create a new thread to get more exposure.

Too answer to your problem. Did you load the modules for the 2.6.17.13 kernel in /extra?

Read the RELEASE_NOTES.
BTW, check out my sig for some good online reference.


Thank you...

I'm also using backtrack and red hat(at my office) but i don't know much about it.. i'm just using it's tool(backtrack) for my work. But i'm really need to know more in linux.. I want it to be the only os that i will use .. but not now.. because there are a lot of things that I don't know.. I will learn till that all things that I can do in windows can be done in linux. I hope you will help me

Thank you.
 
Old 03-29-2007, 03:40 AM   #9
mfs_bg
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
ok ..
after upgrading my kernel to 2.6 and run modprobe e100 my sound, my eth card, my toucpad are being ok..

Thank you
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NIC Card Detection drdarkman Linux - Hardware 2 04-28-2005 11:59 AM
sound card detection amitmv Red Hat 1 04-12-2005 05:00 AM
Sound Card Detection !!! usmanmr Linux - Hardware 9 07-19-2004 02:41 PM
Sound Card Detection Problem with RHL9 rupak Linux - Distributions 1 01-04-2004 11:40 PM
sound card detection problem jaylee Linux - General 9 06-21-2003 09:54 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration