LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
smoooth103
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: NC, USA
Distribution: Slackware (64 bit)
Posts: 237

Rep: Reputation: 58
S14, google-chrome, and ESPN3


Have a bizarre issue - cannot get ESPN3 to work on google-chrome with any build version. (currently using Version 23.0.1271.97).

Used two different slackbuilds from slackbuilds.org to create the package.

ESPN3 works properly with firefox and used to work properly with chrome under slackware 13.37.

When I click on pretty much anything on ESPN3 nothing will launch or the mouse clicks don't generate any action.

I have checked all proper chrome settings and flash player but nothing fixes the issue. I've completely cleared chrome configs and reinstalled. Nothing.

Anyone ran into this issue or have any ideas?
 
Old 12-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
wallison
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: MD USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 136

Rep: Reputation: 18
Might be a long shot but since no one else has replied I'll throw it out there. Have you tried starting chrome from the terminal and looking for error messages? Sometimes that can be pretty revealing.
 
Old 12-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
beder
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 82

Rep: Reputation: 28
Have you checked in a different OS? It might be an issue of ESPN website with Chrome, not necessarily Slackware, or Linux for that matter, related.
 
Old 12-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
smoooth103
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: NC, USA
Distribution: Slackware (64 bit)
Posts: 237

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 58
I highly doubt this is a slackware issue but I'm wondering if anyone can confirm they have ESPN3 working on slackware 14 with google-chrome.

I also ran into this issue on IE/Google Chrome on a non-Linux OS. No google command line errors when loading it (ESPN3) from a terminal.

The whole thing is just weird.

Probably a new ESPN3 compatibility issue with certain browsers.

Last edited by smoooth103; 12-18-2012 at 05:16 PM.
 
Old 12-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
stormtracknole
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: The Big Easy
Distribution: Slackware, RHEL
Posts: 817

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoooth103 View Post
I highly doubt this is a slackware issue but I'm wondering if anyone can confirm they have ESPN3 working on slackware 14 with google-chrome.

I also ran into this issue on IE/Google Chrome on a non-Linux OS. No google command line errors when loading it (ESPN3) from a terminal.

The whole thing is just weird.

Probably a new ESPN3 compatibility issue with certain browsers.
I can confirm that it works on my Slackware64-14. Can you try using the rpm instead of the deb package?
 
Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
smoooth103
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: NC, USA
Distribution: Slackware (64 bit)
Posts: 237

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 58
Tried the .rpm with rpm2tgz -- same result. For example the main graphic on ESPN3 displays "replay" -- when I click it nothing happens. There is also an icon that has a key that says "verify access" when I click it, nothing happens.

The access should be correct because everything works under firefox...
 
Old 12-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
stormtracknole
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: The Big Easy
Distribution: Slackware, RHEL
Posts: 817

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoooth103 View Post
Tried the .rpm with rpm2tgz -- same result. For example the main graphic on ESPN3 displays "replay" -- when I click it nothing happens. There is also an icon that has a key that says "verify access" when I click it, nothing happens.

The access should be correct because everything works under firefox...
Ok, make sure that you don't have any AdBlock going or any app that can disable javascript or flash. Also, make sure that the pepper flash is enabled by entering chrome://plugins and make sure this part "Adobe Flash Player (2 files) - Version: 11.5.31.5" is enabled.
 
Old 12-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
smoooth103
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: NC, USA
Distribution: Slackware (64 bit)
Posts: 237

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtracknole View Post
Ok, make sure that you don't have any AdBlock going or any app that can disable javascript or flash. Also, make sure that the pepper flash is enabled by entering chrome://plugins and make sure this part "Adobe Flash Player (2 files) - Version: 11.5.31.5" is enabled.
It's a fresh clean chrome install -- I don't see anything mentioning Adblock. I made sure "pop ups" were enabled in chrome settings. I cleared /home/.config/google-chrome to make sure nothing was lingering there.

(chrome://plugins) libpepflash and Flashplayers are present and enabled. Checked the directories (for the .so file) and noticed the permissions are different on libpepflash -- which seems odd to me... but it's there. I am really starting to think this could be related to the libpepflash.

Looking at the HTML element it's the "onclick=launchPlayer" that is not working.

Last edited by smoooth103; 12-18-2012 at 10:37 PM.
 
Old 12-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #9
stormtracknole
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: The Big Easy
Distribution: Slackware, RHEL
Posts: 817

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoooth103 View Post
It's a fresh clean chrome install -- I don't see anything mentioning Adblock. I made sure "pop ups" were enabled in chrome settings. I cleared /home/.config/google-chrome to make sure nothing was lingering there.

(chrome://plugins) libpepflash and Flashplayers are present and enabled. Checked the directories (for the .so file) and noticed the permissions are different on libpepflash -- which seems odd to me... but it's there. I am really starting to think this could be related to the libpepflash.

Looking at the HTML element it's the "onclick=launchPlayer" that is not working.
I remember having a similar issue a long, long time ago. For the life of me, I can't remember how I resolved it. Let me think about it some more and see if anything comes to mind.
 
Old 12-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
stormtracknole
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: The Big Easy
Distribution: Slackware, RHEL
Posts: 817

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
Have you tried opening Chrome using a terminal? Check and see if any errors show up in the command line.
 
Old 12-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
dfwrider
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 32

Rep: Reputation: 17
try it from a brand new user on the box. sometimes end user cruft is a problem.

d
 
Old 12-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
Alphalutra1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Distribution: FreeBSD 8-Stable
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 2
It doesn't work for me either with google-chrome on gentoo. Also doesn't work with firefox and flash as well on linux (so npapi and ppapi plugins for flash don't work). Seems to be a linux problem since it works on windows but for the life of me I can't figure it out. Frustrating to have to launch a virtual machine to watch a football game in flash.
 
Old 12-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
stormtracknole
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: The Big Easy
Distribution: Slackware, RHEL
Posts: 817

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
It is working for me. I have no issues at all. The suggestion about creating a new user and trying it from a fresh account would help in troubleshooting. I'm assuming that no firewalls are up, correct? Is the windows account using a different DNS?
 
Old 12-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
smoooth103
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: NC, USA
Distribution: Slackware (64 bit)
Posts: 237

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 58
I created a new linux user and got the same result (w/ default generic chrome profile).

I have loaded chrome from the terminal and the only error I get is "nacl_fork delegate_linux.cc BAD NaCL helper startup". This could be related to the problem based on some preliminary googling.

Don't think it's firewall related because I can use firefox (on the same machine) and everything works perfectly with ESPN3.

Last edited by smoooth103; 12-19-2012 at 07:04 PM.
 
Old 12-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
smoooth103
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: NC, USA
Distribution: Slackware (64 bit)
Posts: 237

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 58
OK SUCCESS. Version 19.0.1084.46 works -- or it could be I used a different slackbuild when I built that package or some strange conflict with flash -- Who knows.

20.0.X Does not.
21.0.X Does not.
23.0.X Does not.

I don't know why this is -- but as soon as I installed an older google-chrome package I had sitting around.. it worked. My guess is something changed in chrome after version 19.

Last edited by smoooth103; 12-19-2012 at 07:35 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Chrome New Tab Page (!)= Chrome OS Desktop Kenny_Strawn Linux - General 6 02-19-2011 05:36 PM
[SOLVED] This there a Slackware version of Google Chromium Browser? (not Google Chrome) Robert.Thompson Slackware 6 01-13-2011 05:27 AM
[SOLVED] Google Talk Plugin, Slackware64-Current, Google Chrome (Latest) and Multilib - Error Gavin Harper Slackware 3 01-04-2011 07:45 AM
LXer: As Goes Chrome OS, So Goes Google's Chrome Browser LXer Syndicated Linux News 4 10-09-2010 03:18 PM
LXer: Google Chrome Automatically Installs Google Repository in Ubuntu LXer Syndicated Linux News 3 05-07-2010 11:20 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration