LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   S14, google-chrome, and ESPN3 (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/s14-google-chrome-and-espn3-4175441657/)

smoooth103 12-16-2012 06:51 AM

S14, google-chrome, and ESPN3
 
Have a bizarre issue - cannot get ESPN3 to work on google-chrome with any build version. (currently using Version 23.0.1271.97).

Used two different slackbuilds from slackbuilds.org to create the package.

ESPN3 works properly with firefox and used to work properly with chrome under slackware 13.37.

When I click on pretty much anything on ESPN3 nothing will launch or the mouse clicks don't generate any action.

I have checked all proper chrome settings and flash player but nothing fixes the issue. I've completely cleared chrome configs and reinstalled. Nothing.

Anyone ran into this issue or have any ideas?

wallison 12-17-2012 04:47 PM

Might be a long shot but since no one else has replied I'll throw it out there. Have you tried starting chrome from the terminal and looking for error messages? Sometimes that can be pretty revealing.

beder 12-17-2012 07:42 PM

Have you checked in a different OS? It might be an issue of ESPN website with Chrome, not necessarily Slackware, or Linux for that matter, related.

smoooth103 12-18-2012 05:14 PM

I highly doubt this is a slackware issue but I'm wondering if anyone can confirm they have ESPN3 working on slackware 14 with google-chrome.

I also ran into this issue on IE/Google Chrome on a non-Linux OS. No google command line errors when loading it (ESPN3) from a terminal.

The whole thing is just weird.

Probably a new ESPN3 compatibility issue with certain browsers.

stormtracknole 12-18-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoooth103 (Post 4852268)
I highly doubt this is a slackware issue but I'm wondering if anyone can confirm they have ESPN3 working on slackware 14 with google-chrome.

I also ran into this issue on IE/Google Chrome on a non-Linux OS. No google command line errors when loading it (ESPN3) from a terminal.

The whole thing is just weird.

Probably a new ESPN3 compatibility issue with certain browsers.

I can confirm that it works on my Slackware64-14. Can you try using the rpm instead of the deb package?

smoooth103 12-18-2012 08:59 PM

Tried the .rpm with rpm2tgz -- same result. For example the main graphic on ESPN3 displays "replay" -- when I click it nothing happens. There is also an icon that has a key that says "verify access" when I click it, nothing happens.

The access should be correct because everything works under firefox...

stormtracknole 12-18-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoooth103 (Post 4852413)
Tried the .rpm with rpm2tgz -- same result. For example the main graphic on ESPN3 displays "replay" -- when I click it nothing happens. There is also an icon that has a key that says "verify access" when I click it, nothing happens.

The access should be correct because everything works under firefox...

Ok, make sure that you don't have any AdBlock going or any app that can disable javascript or flash. Also, make sure that the pepper flash is enabled by entering chrome://plugins and make sure this part "Adobe Flash Player (2 files) - Version: 11.5.31.5" is enabled.

smoooth103 12-18-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormtracknole (Post 4852426)
Ok, make sure that you don't have any AdBlock going or any app that can disable javascript or flash. Also, make sure that the pepper flash is enabled by entering chrome://plugins and make sure this part "Adobe Flash Player (2 files) - Version: 11.5.31.5" is enabled.

It's a fresh clean chrome install -- I don't see anything mentioning Adblock. I made sure "pop ups" were enabled in chrome settings. I cleared /home/.config/google-chrome to make sure nothing was lingering there.

(chrome://plugins) libpepflash and Flashplayers are present and enabled. Checked the directories (for the .so file) and noticed the permissions are different on libpepflash -- which seems odd to me... but it's there. I am really starting to think this could be related to the libpepflash.

Looking at the HTML element it's the "onclick=launchPlayer" that is not working.

stormtracknole 12-19-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoooth103 (Post 4852471)
It's a fresh clean chrome install -- I don't see anything mentioning Adblock. I made sure "pop ups" were enabled in chrome settings. I cleared /home/.config/google-chrome to make sure nothing was lingering there.

(chrome://plugins) libpepflash and Flashplayers are present and enabled. Checked the directories (for the .so file) and noticed the permissions are different on libpepflash -- which seems odd to me... but it's there. I am really starting to think this could be related to the libpepflash.

Looking at the HTML element it's the "onclick=launchPlayer" that is not working.

I remember having a similar issue a long, long time ago. For the life of me, I can't remember how I resolved it. Let me think about it some more and see if anything comes to mind.

stormtracknole 12-19-2012 09:24 AM

Have you tried opening Chrome using a terminal? Check and see if any errors show up in the command line.

dfwrider 12-19-2012 09:59 AM

try it from a brand new user on the box. sometimes end user cruft is a problem.

d

Alphalutra1 12-19-2012 03:03 PM

It doesn't work for me either with google-chrome on gentoo. Also doesn't work with firefox and flash as well on linux (so npapi and ppapi plugins for flash don't work). Seems to be a linux problem since it works on windows but for the life of me I can't figure it out. Frustrating to have to launch a virtual machine to watch a football game in flash.

stormtracknole 12-19-2012 03:28 PM

It is working for me. I have no issues at all. The suggestion about creating a new user and trying it from a fresh account would help in troubleshooting. I'm assuming that no firewalls are up, correct? Is the windows account using a different DNS?

smoooth103 12-19-2012 06:58 PM

I created a new linux user and got the same result (w/ default generic chrome profile).

I have loaded chrome from the terminal and the only error I get is "nacl_fork delegate_linux.cc BAD NaCL helper startup". This could be related to the problem based on some preliminary googling.

Don't think it's firewall related because I can use firefox (on the same machine) and everything works perfectly with ESPN3.

smoooth103 12-19-2012 07:30 PM

OK SUCCESS. Version 19.0.1084.46 works -- or it could be I used a different slackbuild when I built that package or some strange conflict with flash -- Who knows.

20.0.X Does not.
21.0.X Does not.
23.0.X Does not.

I don't know why this is -- but as soon as I installed an older google-chrome package I had sitting around.. it worked. My guess is something changed in chrome after version 19.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 PM.