My first post to forum so don't expect miracles... Alien BOB is man for that.
I have a dual boot system with slackware 64bit and win xp (yep still running that 'cause ain't gonna buy new one... ever). Nowadays gaming is allmost only reason to boot to win xp and I don't even play much. I have been looking a way to get rid off the win xp partition from my hard drive and now I'm one step closer.
I'll list the steps I had to take to get Starcraft 2 running in slackware, I'm not going to go in details too much 'cause I'm still linux & slackware noob myself. There's good howto's to each step that I followed...
- Upgraded kernel to 2.6.35 -> next time remember to make initrd 'cause using lvm! (kernel panic otherwise... cough)
howto -> Alien BOB wiki - kernel
- Upgraded graphics driver. I used newest nvidia drivers straight from nvidias homepage
nvidia -> Nvidia drivers
- I'm on a 64bit system so I needed the multilib stuff to build 32bit packages
howto -> Alien BOB wiki - multilib
- Removed existing wine install
- Compiled and installed wine 1.2 from Slackbuilds.
link-> SlackBuilds - Wine
I didn't need any spesial winetricks kunfu to get it work, but there's two things I did in winecfg
1. In "Applications" tab I changed windows to "windows 7" (now that was an easy upgrade!)
2. In "Libraries" tab I added new override "mmdevapi" and changed it to disabled. (That fixed the no sound issue)
Then I mounted the Starcraft 2 dvd and copied it to hard drive (might work straight from dvd, didn't try that). Mount it with
$ mount -t udf -o ro,unhide,uid=$(id -u) /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
howto I kinda followed -> HOWTO: Starcraft 2 on Linux with Wine
Then crossed my fingers...
$ cd /<where I copied starcraft 2 files>
$ wine Installer.exe
... and it worked! Installer ran whitout problems and updated to newest version from battle.net after installation. Game has been running whitout problems so far... it also feels like it's running bit faster than in 32bit win xp. I'm getting at least the same performance.
I hope this might help someone to get Starcraft 2 running... if not, I wasted precious forum space.