SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Hi, I have a few questions about compiling kernels/software.
When changing kernels, is there any particular software that should definately be recompiled?
Obviously, modules must be recompiled for the new kernel. But what about anything else? For example: ALSA? Glibc?
I'm currently running Slackware 10.1, kernel 22.214.171.124 and things are alright, (except I'm not sure my motherboard is adaquately supported, it's using the nForce 3 chipset).
At any rate, I'm about to upgrade to the 126.96.36.199 kernel (in hopes that the nForce drivers from nvidia will actually work. I receive "nvsound.ko: unkown symbol <some variable>..." errors when trying to load the compiled sound module, which I've googled and found it usually is a problem with the kernel.
My sound worked before, when running 2.4.29, and using snd-intel8x0 driver, but that driver no longer works (even though alsaconf suggests it, it mentions the device is now "unknown nvidia" in parenthesis.)
when i try a newer kernel, i just use the old (2.6xxx) config-file and never compile anything else.
if you use a module (driver ) made by others than the kernel-team, ( like ati, nvidia and more )
you need to recompile them .
but not alsa or so, as it comes with the kernel, and new modules are made on the fly .
I got the sound working with the nvsound driver. After upgrading to 188.8.131.52 I tried the nforce drivers again and received the same error. I checked nvidia's website and there is a newer version, so I downloaded it. The new version has no such problem and works fine. Thanks for the help though! I compiled ALSA along with the kernel for potential future use, but nvsound is an OSS driver evidentally. (So the output of lsmod is a lot less now, lol..)
Now I'm experiencing the same problem I have with WinXP on this machine: Software volume control doesn't work. Luckily my headphones have their own volume control. I think this is an issue with the board itself, and I hope can be fixed by a BIOS update. I haven't checked to see if there is one yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if so. This model is probably around a year old.
So with that sorted out atleast moderately, my only remaining issue is the mouse.. I can't get the scroll wheel to work no matter what protocol I specify in xorg.conf. (Yes I have Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" in the section.) It's a Logitech MX300 USB optical mouse, although it registers as a "Generic PS/2 Mouse" during bootup. For some reason the mouse will periodically flip out and jump around the screen while sending every button's input signal. (It has closed windows and moved icons around, to my frustration.) The console gives me a "lost sync.." error when this happens, but after a few seconds it returns to normal use. It seems to happen most often when I am pressing keys on the keyboard and trying to use the mouse at the same time. (Such as while in a game.)