LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2005, 09:53 PM   #1
pnellesen
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Distribution: Slackware 12.2, Xubuntu 9.10
Posts: 371

Rep: Reputation: 31
Question rc.inet1 not starting?


Seem to have an odd problem - whenever I reboot, it "appears" that rc.inet1 isn't executing. I can't get any internet access until I run "rc.inet1 restart" manually. The file itself is set as executable in /etc/rc.d. Anything particular log file I could look at for info? dmesg doesn't seem to indicate anything, nor do I see anything in /var/log/messages, although I DO see a log entry there after I do the restart...

Thanks,
 
Old 11-26-2005, 10:39 PM   #2
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 22,962
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865
What card have you got, are you using static IPs
or DHCP?



Cheers,
Tink
 
Old 11-26-2005, 10:48 PM   #3
pnellesen
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Distribution: Slackware 12.2, Xubuntu 9.10
Posts: 371

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 31
It's a 3Com 3c905c. I'm using static IP. Note that this didn't start (that I'm aware of) until after I upgraded from Slackware 10.1 to 10.2 (using the procedure outlined in "UPGRADE.TXT".) I'm still using rc.inet1 and rc.inet1.conf that I used with Slackware 10.1.

Thanks,
 
Old 11-26-2005, 11:35 PM   #4
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 22,962
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865
In that case check the invocation of rc.inet1 inside
of rc.M ... also make sure that both rc.inet1 and rc.inet1.conf
have been upgraded, and aren't just sitting in /etc/rc.d as
*.new ...


Cheers,
Tink
 
Old 11-27-2005, 12:52 AM   #5
Woodsman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Distribution: Slackware 14.0
Posts: 3,470

Rep: Reputation: 519Reputation: 519Reputation: 519Reputation: 519Reputation: 519Reputation: 519
Quote:
Note that this didn't start (that I'm aware of) until after I upgraded from Slackware 10.1 to 10.2 (using the procedure outlined in "UPGRADE.TXT".) I'm still using rc.inet1 and rc.inet1.conf that I used with Slackware 10.1.
I just did the same thing yesterday with my second box (updating to 10.2). Initially, networking would not work on my box either. My scribble pad of notes shows an entry of "networking fails."

I think the problem was related to the update automatically enabling (chmod +x) rc.wireless and rc.hotplug. That seemed to cause problems for my box. Somewhat Microsoftish of PV to assume how my existing box should be reconfigured.

I don't think the old rc.inet1 and rc.inet2.conf files are the problem because I somehow got networking to initialize before I merged the existing rc.d scripts with the *.new scripts. For me I think the problem disappeared after I disabled (chmod -x) rc.wireless. I hope this helps.
 
Old 11-27-2005, 11:59 AM   #6
pnellesen
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Distribution: Slackware 12.2, Xubuntu 9.10
Posts: 371

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 31
Hmmm... I'll try disabling rc.wireless - I certainly don't need it for this machine...

Thanks for the tip
 
Old 11-27-2005, 03:15 PM   #7
gargamel
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Distribution: Slackware, SLAX, OpenSuSE
Posts: 1,592

Rep: Reputation: 142Reputation: 142
Sorry, but I don't believe it has anything to do with x file mode for rc.wireless.

I had the same problem after upgrading from 10.1 to 10.2. First, everything seemed ok, but then I thought it was easier to use netconfig to configure my network instead of merging the old configuration into the .new config file. In netconfig I accidentally selected the loopback configuration instead of the DHCP option. That was my mistake.

As it didn't help to run netconfig again and choosing DHCP I installed anew (because looking for the loopback network related error seemed to be time-consuming...).

So, maybe you have the same problem. It's about the loopback network and DHCP. Maybe someone can provide a few words of explanation, here. For me, a re-install was the solution.

BTW, I think the text describing the options in netconfig seems misleading or buggy. loopback is recommended for dial-up machines, but DHCP is what you actually need for a modem connection to your ISP. Loopback only makes sense for direct connections to other machines when you assign your own, non-global IP addresses to your network interfaces. If you are reading this, Pat, please provide a clearer textual description for netconfig options in Slack 11.0. Thank you!

gargamel
 
Old 11-27-2005, 03:38 PM   #8
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 22,962
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally posted by gargamel
Sorry, but I don't believe it has anything to do with x file mode for rc.wireless.

I had the same problem after upgrading from 10.1 to 10.2. First, everything seemed ok, but then I thought it was easier to use netconfig to configure my network instead of merging the old configuration into the .new config file. In netconfig I accidentally selected the loopback configuration instead of the DHCP option. That was my mistake.

As it didn't help to run netconfig again and choosing DHCP I installed anew (because looking for the loopback network related error seemed to be time-consuming...).

So, maybe you have the same problem. It's about the loopback network and DHCP. Maybe someone can provide a few words of explanation, here. For me, a re-install was the solution.

BTW, I think the text describing the options in netconfig seems misleading or buggy. loopback is recommended for dial-up machines, but DHCP is what you actually need for a modem connection to your ISP. Loopback only makes sense for direct connections to other machines when you assign your own, non-global IP addresses to your network interfaces. If you are reading this, Pat, please provide a clearer textual description for netconfig options in Slack 11.0. Thank you!

gargamel
Maybe you're confused with the terminology ... if you're using
a modem (a serial, USB or built-in device that communicates with
your ISP over a 56KBit) connection you DON'T want DHCP at all,
all you need is loop-back.

You need DHCP if you have a router (ADSL-router, other routers)
that provides DHCP leases and hands out details about gateways
and name-servers.

If you have one of the above but chose NOT to use DHCP you'll
want static IPs for the networked machines.




Cheers,
Tink
 
Old 11-27-2005, 07:55 PM   #9
pnellesen
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Distribution: Slackware 12.2, Xubuntu 9.10
Posts: 371

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 31
PROBLEM RESOLVED

Quote:
Originally posted by gargamel
Sorry, but I don't believe it has anything to do with x file mode for rc.wireless.
Boy, do I feel dumb now - it most certainly WASN'T anything to do with rc.wireless - turns out all I needed to do was to backup my 10.1 version of rc.inet1 and replace it with the 10.2 version (rc.inet1.new). On the next reboot all was well...

Sigh... it's usually the simplest things that cause the most headscratching.

Thanks, guys, for at least giving me some idea what to look for...
 
Old 11-27-2005, 08:46 PM   #10
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 22,962
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally posted by pnellesen
PROBLEM RESOLVED



Boy, do I feel dumb now :o - it most certainly WASN'T anything to do with rc.wireless - turns out all I needed to do was to backup my 10.1 version of rc.inet1 and replace it with the 10.2 version (rc.inet1.new). On the next reboot all was well...
In other words: my 2nd post in your thread held the answer? :}


Cheers,
Tink
 
Old 11-27-2005, 09:23 PM   #11
pnellesen
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Distribution: Slackware 12.2, Xubuntu 9.10
Posts: 371

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally posted by Tinkster
In other words: my 2nd post in your thread held the answer? :}
Yep. Had to re-read it before I figured out what you were trying to say (Too much left-over turkey this weekend, I guess...)
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 ratmz Slackware 1 11-10-2005 12:38 PM
rc.inet1 and rc.inet1.conf edafe Slackware 0 02-16-2005 09:51 AM
Slackware 9.1 Rc.inet1 help Psyman014 Slackware 3 10-03-2003 08:10 AM
rc.inet1 question cijunet Slackware 4 04-16-2003 08:39 PM
rc.inet1 Half_Elf Linux - Networking 2 01-26-2002 11:23 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration