LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
afreitascs
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Brasil
Distribution: Slackware_Cur-64_mult
Posts: 431

Rep: Reputation: 30
qemu and Slackware64-current, Windows 98SE as a guest ( Partly solved! )


Hi. okay with you all? :-)

I used qemu (qemu-0.9.1-i386-2_SBo) with Windows98SE as a guest, but since the last Slackware-current update of this version of qemu no longer works ...more precisely after "Mon Apr 8 06:58:48 UTC 2011" Update ...

Then installed the version "qemu-0.12.5.tar.gz" of Slackbuils, but this If the mouse is not detected in Windows 98 ...
I also installed the version of the Alien "qemu-0.10.0-i486-1alien" without success ...

Windows 98SE worked very well with the version of qemu-0.9.1-i386-2_SBo!

I know the mouse is not detectable in Windows 98SE is a Bug

https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/521994

Any comments would be welcome

Thanks

ps: I also have not had success in Slack 32. I use on a daily 64-bit version of Slackware .

Last edited by afreitascs; 04-19-2011 at 11:32 PM.
 
Old 04-15-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
Phorize
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 216

Rep: Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by afreitascs View Post
Hi. okay with you all? :-)

I used qemu (qemu-0.9.1-i386-2_SBo) with Windows98SE as a guest, but since the last Slackware-current update of this version of qemu no longer works ...more precisely after "Mon Apr 8 06:58:48 UTC 2011" Update ...

Then installed the version "qemu-0.12.5.tar.gz" of Slackbuils, but this If the mouse is not detected in Windows 98 ...
I also installed the version of the Alien "qemu-0.10.0-i486-1alien" without success ...

Windows 98SE worked very well with the version of qemu-0.9.1-i386-2_SBo!

I know the mouse is not detectable in Windows 98SE is a Bug

https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/521994

Any comments would be welcome


Thanks

ps: I also have not had success in Slack 32. I use on a daily 64-bit version of Slackware .
The only thing that occurs to me is why would anyone want to run windows 98 on anything?! Not very helpful I know but you did say any comment would be welcome!
 
Old 04-16-2011, 12:57 AM   #3
Erik_FL
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 793

Rep: Reputation: 245Reputation: 245Reputation: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristizz View Post
The only thing that occurs to me is why would anyone want to run windows 98 on anything?! Not very helpful I know but you did say any comment would be welcome!
I run Windows 98 and 95 to play a lot of my older games. There are a lot of fun games like 3D pinball and 3D minigolf that run only on those operating systems. I've never tried QEMU on Linux to run them though. I usually use Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 on Windows. However, one can run them in VirtualBox without the Guest Additions (no screen resizing and no mouse integration).

My suggestion is to see how well VirtualBox meets your needs to run Windows 95 and 98 on Linux.

The best virtual support to run Windows 95 and 98 is with Microsoft Virtual PC on Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7. You can use mouse integration and all the other features of Virtual PC. If you want to fully support Windows 95, use the Guest Additions from Virtual PC 2004 in the Guest OS while using Virtual PC 2007 SP1 in the Host OS.
 
Old 04-16-2011, 01:39 AM   #4
ponce
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Pisa, Italy
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 2,380

Rep: Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840
FYI, reading comment 13 on the ubuntu bug linked, I just tried on -current with qemu-0.14.0 and mouse is working fine on my 98se.qcow2
 
Old 04-16-2011, 05:13 AM   #5
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,184

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponce View Post
FYI, reading comment 13 on the ubuntu bug linked, I just tried on -current with qemu-0.14.0 and mouse is working fine on my 98se.qcow2
The OP's issue may be that he is not able to use later versions of qemu. After qemu-0.10 the support for the kqemu kernel accelerator was dropped. Which means, if you have an older CPU (without hardware virtualization support) you have to stick with an older version of qemu (so that you can use kqemu to get acceptable performance in the virtual machine).

Eric
 
Old 04-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
afreitascs
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Brasil
Distribution: Slackware_Cur-64_mult
Posts: 431

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Thank you guys for the answers :-)

In the tests that I got:

Quote:
qemu-0.9.1-i386-2_SBo no longer works
qemu-0.14.0 ---> works, but mouse is slow
qemu-0.13.0 ---> works, but mouse is slow
qemu-0.12.5 ----> mouse does not work
qemu-0.10.0-i486-1alien ----> not working
My main question is because the version "qemu-0.9.1-i386-2"
I wore, no longer works, after I updated (Tue Apr 8 06:58:48 UTC 2011)
Slackware 64-current?


Another question is: How do I know which libs, dependencies, are used by a program installed on Slackware? Is there a command for that?

I know I should know more than I know in Linux, but I use linux without academic pretension, so consider myself newbie.

Many thanks

Last edited by afreitascs; 04-16-2011 at 04:38 PM.
 
Old 04-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
zasavage
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Location: Bloemfontein , South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 13.37 and Slackware 14
Posts: 193

Rep: Reputation: 6
HI there afreitascs

I use VirtualBox 4 and have win98 SE installed with scitech display doctor for the display settings
I can resize and adjust the display .

Regards
Lawrence
 
Old 04-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
afreitascs
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Brasil
Distribution: Slackware_Cur-64_mult
Posts: 431

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
The OP's issue may be that he is not able to use later versions of qemu. After qemu-0.10 the support for the kqemu kernel accelerator was dropped. Which means, if you have an older CPU (without hardware virtualization support) you have to stick with an older version of qemu (so that you can use kqemu to get acceptable performance in the virtual machine).

Eric
Hello Alien Bob

I have the Athlon X2, which supports hardware
virtualization (AMD Athlon X2 5200),and I used qemu without kqemu .

at zasavage

Qemu is light, but VB is heavy, although I have also installed VB.
Out of curiosity, I'll test on Win98 VB. I did not know Vb gave support for Windows 98


many thanks :-)
 
Old 04-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,184

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by afreitascs View Post
Hello Alien Bob

I have the Athlon X2, which supports hardware
virtualization (AMD Athlon X2 5200),and I used qemu without kqemu
In that case, you should be using qemu-kvm instead.

Eric
 
Old 04-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
afreitascs
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Brasil
Distribution: Slackware_Cur-64_mult
Posts: 431

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
In that case, you should be using qemu-kvm instead.

Eric
Thanks I'll test here ...
 
Old 04-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #11
afreitascs
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Brasil
Distribution: Slackware_Cur-64_mult
Posts: 431

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Hi

I installed qemu-kvm-0.14.0-x86_64-1alien.tgz

So I typed:

Quote:
$qemu -hda dados/win98 -m 128 -boot c -net none
then obtained:

Quote:
qemu: error while loading shared libraries: libvdeplug.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I tried to create a new guest and got the same thing :

Quote:
$qemu-img create -f qcow dados/win98_ 2000M
qemu-img: error while loading shared libraries: libvdeplug.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Any comments are welcome

many thanks
 
Old 04-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #12
ponce
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Pisa, Italy
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 2,380

Rep: Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840
for Eric's qemu-kvm build, you need also the dependency vde.
 
Old 04-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #13
afreitascs
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Brasil
Distribution: Slackware_Cur-64_mult
Posts: 431

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponce View Post
for Eric's qemu-kvm build, you need also the dependency vde.
I installed "vde" worked, but I got this:

Quote:
$ qemu -hda dados/win98 -m 128 -boot c -net none
open /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
Could not initialize KVM, will disable KVM support
I have installed qemu-kvm
Quote:
$ ls | grep /var/log/packages/qemu-kvm-0.14.0-x86_64-1alien
many thanks

ps:Remember that when using qemu 0.14.0 (not qemu-kvm) everything works fine, but the mouse gets very slow.
Using qemu version 0.9.1 everything worked fine, the mouse was not slow. With the upgrade from Slackware current, qemu 0.9.1 stopped working ... :-(
 
Old 04-17-2011, 02:21 AM   #14
ponce
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Pisa, Italy
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 2,380

Rep: Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by afreitascs View Post
Quote:
$ qemu -hda dados/win98 -m 128 -boot c -net none
open /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
Could not initialize KVM, will disable KVM support
that is because you have to load the kvm modules in your kernel (if not you use only full software emulation - much slower).
try a
Code:
modprobe kvm_amd
in console (as root) before launching qemu (should be kvm_intel, if you got a cpu with intel virtualization extensions).
Code:
echo "/sbin/modprobe kvm_amd" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
to have it automatically loaded at boot

Last edited by ponce; 04-17-2011 at 02:25 AM.
 
Old 04-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
afreitascs
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Brasil
Distribution: Slackware_Cur-64_mult
Posts: 431

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponce View Post
that is because you have to load the kvm modules in your kernel (if not you use only full software emulation - much slower).
try a
Code:
modprobe kvm_amd
in console (as root) before launching qemu (should be kvm_intel, if you got a cpu with intel virtualization extensions).
Code:
echo "/sbin/modprobe kvm_amd" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
to have it automatically loaded at boot
Before thanks for this tip :-)

Well
Now windows starts ,then freezes on a black screen
(see image 1(4.png)). Note, (GKrellM) that the large CPU activity ...

Also, if I try to start a new installation, after creating
"QEMU disk image" successfully, crashes when trying to detect cdrom (boot given
by fd0 (Start computer wich CD-ROM support) (see image 3 and 4 attachment (7.jpg and 8.jpg) (high CPU activity))

many thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png 4.png (216.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (108.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (120.9 KB, 6 views)
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slackware64 -current kvm guest boot issue rpedrica Slackware 10 03-31-2011 10:15 AM
QEMU: tap networking issue Host: windows 2003 server, guest: Ubuntu 9.04 ccc123 Linux - Networking 1 10-28-2010 09:26 AM
Howto get qemu Windows XP guest to join a Samba domain? garydale Linux - Software 1 12-26-2009 12:43 PM
QEMU VMWare SVGA II Adapter driver for windows xp guest 10110111 Linux - Software 1 06-26-2009 05:28 PM
persistent fs mounts between linux usb-boot and qemu guest on windows? stairwayoflight Linux - Software 0 01-11-2007 03:14 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration