LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #31
Mercury305
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Distribution: CrunchBang / Ubuntu
Posts: 540

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrinister View Post
Isn't Scheme a dialect of Lisp? And +1 on Perl. Except you can run a one-liner. You have to use 'perl -e'.

Alex Brinister
According to the MIT textbook it is but I guess Cranium has something else in his cranium about it.
 
Old 08-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #32
abrinister
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2010
Location: /home
Distribution: RL: Arch x64 VM: Debian
Posts: 460

Rep: Reputation: 38
Well, he's right in that it's NOT Lisp. It's different than the original Lisp from 1959. But I don't know if Scheme is the dialect you want to go with. Some people on this thread have already recommended Common Lisp, which is the second predominant dialect of Lisp. I guess it's your choice. I will have some experience with Scheme come September.

Alex Brinister
 
Old 08-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #33
Mercury305
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Distribution: CrunchBang / Ubuntu
Posts: 540

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrinister View Post
Well, he's right in that it's NOT Lisp. It's different than the original Lisp from 1959. But I don't know if Scheme is the dialect you want to go with. Some people on this thread have already recommended Common Lisp, which is the second predominant dialect of Lisp. I guess it's your choice. I will have some experience with Scheme come September.

Alex Brinister
Well Cranium should be smart enough to know that we are in 2012.
 
Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #34
dugan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 4,572

Rep: Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
Lisp is not Scheme. Scheme is not Lisp. Do not confuse the two.
You're going to have to defend this, Richard.
 
Old 08-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #35
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 6,923
Blog Entries: 51

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
According to Wikipedia (the Fount Of All Knowledge ):
Quote:
Scheme is a functional programming language and one of the two main dialects of the programming language Lisp.
 
Old 08-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #36
Mercury305
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Distribution: CrunchBang / Ubuntu
Posts: 540

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
You're going to have to defend this, Richard.
Geting advice from people that call Scheme and Lisp 2 seperate languages and also that python is a scripting language...
also some dufus walts in recommending ruby and C++. 2 Langs I don't want to even touch.

But I do give credit to some other valuable advice that was given here.

As for why not Common Lisp? Because I am just starting... thats why. Simplicity, hence Scheme.

The reason I choose Scheme over Python is not because its more comonly used. Obviously Python wins in that area. Especially when it comes to job market. But because of my interest in Computer Science. Similar to reason why I choose Slackware not for desktop tools but for study. Python and Scheme are 2 great languages for me.

Last edited by Mercury305; 08-27-2012 at 08:59 AM.
 
Old 08-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #37
Mercury305
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Distribution: CrunchBang / Ubuntu
Posts: 540

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by qweasd View Post
LISP (along with C, if anyone cares) is my favorite programming language. It makes me sound clever. If you'd like to learn Common Lisp in particular--my favorite dialect--here's a nice book I found most useful as a tutorial.

I don't know whether it matters that much which language is your first. I wish I learned LISP or C or some kind of Assembly first, but instead (iirc) it was MSX BASIC (which is a language AND an OS) on one of these. I feel like I obtained most of my skill while studying C and LISP, but I never felt handicapped by BASIC. It was fun
I respect C very much. As much as people try to condemn it as an old language it is a great language imo memory management is always necessary for max efficiency. I was planning on an intro to C afterwards. I don't find Go as attractive as C since I am not into Object Oriented Langs too much even though Rob Pike and Ken Thompson are creating it. However I do see it as a huge advantage over Java syntax from what I read.
 
Old 08-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #38
lolnameless
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 18

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
python is great for completeness and lisp is pure functional, "the lack of syntax" thing can be thought of elegant

so i recommend lisp first, then python, even if you think you will find python is so great that you could care less about the others
 
Old 08-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #39
a4z
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 330

Rep: Reputation: 127Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury305 View Post
Geting advice from people that call Scheme and Lisp 2 seperate languages and also that python is a scripting language...
also some dufus walts in recommending ruby and C++. 2 Langs I don't want to even touch.

But I do give credit to some other valuable advice that was given here.

As for why not Common Lisp? Because I am just starting... thats why. Simplicity, hence Scheme.

The reason I choose Scheme over Python is not because its more comonly used. Obviously Python wins in that area. Especially when it comes to job market. But because of my interest in Computer Science. Similar to reason why I choose Slackware not for desktop tools but for study. Python and Scheme are 2 great languages for me.
the background of the Ruby/C++ recommendation from me was that functional programming parts works with ruby somehow better than with python
alt least for me
and it also supports a lot of other programming pardigmen, so you could combine the lisp and python stuff into 1.
plus it is wildly used and allows you to become productive and there is also a job market.
and spending time with c or c++ is never wrong, even if thos 2 are long time targets, compared with python or ruby

thought it would be worth to mention and you may want to think about that if you have not done it so far.
sorry for disturbing your thread
 
Old 08-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #40
Mercury305
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Distribution: CrunchBang / Ubuntu
Posts: 540

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4z View Post
the background of the Ruby/C++ recommendation from me was that functional programming parts works with ruby somehow better than with python
alt least for me
and it also supports a lot of other programming pardigmen, so you could combine the lisp and python stuff into 1.
plus it is wildly used and allows you to become productive and there is also a job market.
and spending time with c or c++ is never wrong, even if thos 2 are long time targets, compared with python or ruby

thought it would be worth to mention and you may want to think about that if you have not done it so far.
sorry for disturbing your thread
sorry for being rude as its a common trait of mine. But in all reality I choose my langs for a purpose. No lang is really that much better then others (aalthough I disagree with my own statement.). Its just that they are used for different ways.

Last edited by Mercury305; 08-27-2012 at 12:18 PM.
 
Old 08-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #41
Richard Cranium
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Carrollton, Texas
Distribution: Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 1,443

Rep: Reputation: 409Reputation: 409Reputation: 409Reputation: 409Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrinister View Post
Isn't Scheme a dialect of Lisp?
In that they use prefix notation and parens, yeah.


C++ is a dialect of C. Try compiling a random C++ program with a C compiler and see how far that goes.
 
Old 08-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #42
Richard Cranium
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Carrollton, Texas
Distribution: Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 1,443

Rep: Reputation: 409Reputation: 409Reputation: 409Reputation: 409Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury305 View Post
According to the MIT textbook it is but I guess Cranium has something else in his cranium about it.
I know where *your* cranium is.
 
Old 08-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #43
Richard Cranium
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Carrollton, Texas
Distribution: Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 1,443

Rep: Reputation: 409Reputation: 409Reputation: 409Reputation: 409Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
You're going to have to defend this, Richard.
Oh? You think the two languages are the same? Have you actually programmed in both of them?

I have.
 
Old 08-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #44
Mercury305
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Distribution: CrunchBang / Ubuntu
Posts: 540

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
Oh? You think the two languages are the same? Have you actually programmed in both of them?

I have.
Which one? Common Lisp or Scheme Lisp?
 
Old 08-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #45
Mercury305
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Distribution: CrunchBang / Ubuntu
Posts: 540

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard cranium View Post
i know where *your* cranium is.
[moderated]

Last edited by unSpawn; 08-28-2012 at 05:54 AM. Reason: //Dont
 
  


Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Lisp Coding Bounty (get a copy of Land of Lisp) LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-23-2011 06:41 PM
LXer: Python Python Python (aka Python 3) LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 08-05-2009 08:30 PM
Lisp, Ruby, or python nesrail Programming 20 01-27-2009 02:49 AM
LISP or COMON LISP Compiler for Debian carspidey Programming 3 04-19-2006 07:46 AM
Lisp, emacs-lisp aizkorri Programming 1 09-04-2002 06:16 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration