LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #316
BroX
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Sweden
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 745

Rep: Reputation: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
it hurts my eyes every day I see this topic's title in the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn View Post
LOL, nice to see I'm not the only one who winces at the title....
+1

Surely there is some one with super mod powers to correct it?

Last edited by BroX; 03-19-2013 at 07:58 AM.
 
Click here to see the post LQ members have rated as the most helpful post in this thread.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #317
blackv1rus
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: switzerland
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 54

Rep: Reputation: 4
Slackware is actually pretty good, but answering the title:

Gparted

PeaZip

Python 3


some Python and Perl modules


I learned how to build packages and I would like to contribute doing some (i builded almost the whole backtrack set of tools with the proper configuration, gnome 3.7 and more), actually I ask myself why is the community not help Slackware doing so.

So many fans and followers... and yet a very small number of helpers. I could offer a hosting if a group would be willing to go on with me. I think we could do that in a way we would have several packages, in an organized way, listing and pointing to dependencies, a semantic and trustworthy source, but for that we needed the ones next to god on the game...

Hummm?
 
Old 03-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #318
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,580
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackv1rus View Post
Slackware is actually pretty good, but answering the title:

Gparted

PeaZip

Python 3


some Python and Perl modules


I learned how to build packages and I would like to contribute doing some (i builded almost the whole backtrack set of tools with the proper configuration, gnome 3.7 and more), actually I ask myself why is the community not help Slackware doing so.

So many fans and followers... and yet a very small number of helpers. I could offer a hosting if a group would be willing to go on with me. I think we could do that in a way we would have several packages, in an organized way, listing and pointing to dependencies, a semantic and trustworthy source, but for that we needed the ones next to god on the game...

Hummm?
Seems to me that you totally missed SlackBuilds.org, a place where build scripts for common software is hosted.
 
Old 03-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #319
blackv1rus
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: switzerland
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 54

Rep: Reputation: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Seems to me that you totally missed SlackBuilds.org, a place where build scripts for common software is hosted.
Nein, I did not miss that, it helps a lot and I really appreciate what they did, after all i learned by editing their scripts to my needs, but when I look at Arch's website, I feel like it is missing something on Slackbuild, probably more contribution, maybe a more semantic design and sure a more updated repository.
 
Old 03-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #320
elvis4526
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Posts: 113

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackv1rus View Post
Nein, I did not miss that, it helps a lot and I really appreciate what they did, after all i learned by editing their scripts to my needs, but when I look at Arch's website, I feel like it is missing something on Slackbuild, probably more contribution, maybe a more semantic design and sure a more updated repository.
I think a central binary packages repository would be great.
If your project come to reality and you need help with packaging, let me know.
 
Old 03-21-2013, 03:51 AM   #321
solarfields
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Outer Shpongolia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 468

Rep: Reputation: 118Reputation: 118
how about file-roller in XAP? Would be nice to have a KDE-independent archive manager...
 
Old 03-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #322
blackv1rus
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: switzerland
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 54

Rep: Reputation: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis4526 View Post
I think a central binary packages repository would be great.
If your project come to reality and you need help with packaging, let me know.
Thanks! and yes any help would be welcome if we would have at least 10 or 15 in a team, this project would be probably easier to carry on.
 
Old 03-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #323
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,234

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackv1rus View Post
Thanks! and yes any help would be welcome if we would have at least 10 or 15 in a team, this project would be probably easier to carry on.
If you are going to use SlackBuilds.org scripts for that, then please read http://slackbuilds.org/faq/#package_repos first.

Eric
 
Old 03-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #324
blackv1rus
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: switzerland
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 54

Rep: Reputation: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
If you are going to use SlackBuilds.org scripts for that, then please read http://slackbuilds.org/faq/#package_repos first.

Eric
Eric, the idea is not just copy the SBo scripts and start using it.

But get a team with trusted people that are interested in making a large repository with trusted and tested scripts, all with md5, hash and private keys of course. The big issue is the determination and perseverance in such projects, but I think when other community can, we should be able too, but only will is not enough.

I did my own scripts reading the slackwiki.com and before that i compiled a lot from source, at least on this topic I know what I'm doing

I also did a script to create txz from .deb, but this is another adventure.
 
Old 03-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #325
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,580
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037
Do I understand you right, you don't want just to maintain a binary repository, but also a script repository with your own scripts? That doesn't make much sense to me, I would think the right approach would be to contribute your scripts to SlackBuilds.org, you can still use them to make binary packages. Why doubling the effort?
 
Old 03-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #326
blackv1rus
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: switzerland
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 54

Rep: Reputation: 4
Not exactly doubling the effort from my point of view.

They have their rules and so. I would like to have it in another way. and a team of slackers that could deliver trusted scripts more frequently.
 
Old 03-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #327
solarfields
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Outer Shpongolia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 468

Rep: Reputation: 118Reputation: 118
Quote:
i would like to have it in another way.
3thcfh.jpg

 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #328
T3slider
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-14.1
Posts: 2,252

Rep: Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630
This seems appropriate. Perhaps you should check out slacky.eu which has its own repository of scripts and binary packages (and has for some time). The 14.0 tree is a little bare at the moment though.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #329
leeeoooooo
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Distribution: Slackware 14.0
Posts: 104

Rep: Reputation: 18
I've had little trouble finding the packages I want when I want them. Blender3D is very nice, but so is LibreOffice, Scribus, Inkscape Font Forge and a lot of other packages that a lot of folks would never use...

Google AlienBob to find his package repository, and if he doesn't have it, slacky probably does. That's where I went for ocaml ... I like this little programming language a lot, but no, I do not think it should be in the standard distribution.

I'd like to see Guile upgraded to include all the new capabilities of the 2.0 line, but there doesn't seem to be much interest, so I get to learn to make my own packages...

I find KDE to be a Royal Pain because it writes huge configuration files and directories into my /home/user directory where I really can't spare the space (and I don't have the RAM to support it properly either)...so I use xfce, but I still use a lot of the KDE apps. Kstars is critical for my peace of mind.

I'd like to know I have system-wide UTF-8 support and I'm concerned when I hear elvis doesn't have it.

Other that that, I'm perfectly happy with Slackware just as it is...

Thanks again, Pat!
 
Old 03-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #330
volkerdi
Slackware Maintainer
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Location: Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware! :-)
Posts: 861

Rep: Reputation: 1685Reputation: 1685Reputation: 1685Reputation: 1685Reputation: 1685Reputation: 1685Reputation: 1685Reputation: 1685Reputation: 1685Reputation: 1685Reputation: 1685
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackv1rus View Post
Not exactly doubling the effort from my point of view.

They have their rules and so. I would like to have it in another way. and a team of slackers that could deliver trusted scripts more frequently.
It is unlikely that you, as an unknown newbie to the forum here, who has not yet produced anything and for unspecified reasons is apparently unwilling to work with SlackBuilds.org (a perfectly good, well-managed, and already existing project) will be gaining my trust any time soon. Whether you gain anyone else's remains to be seen.
 
5 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slackbuild textlive on slackware 13 missing texmf tree balamkej Slackware 4 01-21-2010 03:19 PM
A script that could mirror slackware tree from multiple servers grissiom Slackware 8 11-21-2009 07:05 PM
suggestions on family tree programs and..... Chris106 Linux - General 2 10-22-2008 07:54 AM
Linux Family Tree -- Where Slackware Fits unixfool Slackware 16 04-23-2008 11:47 PM
Slackware 9.1 tree/slapt-get question 187807 Slackware 3 02-20-2004 06:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration