SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I can't seem to get udev to start properly. I have a rc.udev script, butwhen it runs the first time, no nodes get created for the soud devices (/dev/dsp, etc) that ALSA needs to emulate OSS. I end up having to re-initialize udev in my local script. And when I do that, somehow /dev/pts gets uncreated and I have to re-mount it, again from my local script. (Without /dev/pts, I can't access the command-line from X !)
My basic question is what am I not doing right with udev? Why should I have to turn it on twice? I'm thinking that something stops it before it gets fully initialized, but dmesg and syslog don't show anything. Hmm, maybe I didn't scrutinize syslog as closely as I need to, now that I think about it.
In any case, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
No, they are not blacklisted. They autoload from /etc/modprobe.conf. Which I thought was the desired behavior. So I should load them from rc.local and blacklist them on hotplug? Hmm, I will give it a try.
Is it just an issue of timing? If Alsa loads the OSS module before udev initializes, does that create the issue? It would make sense. I'll just kill rc.alsa all together and reload volume and OSS from local. I'll post if that works when I get home. Thanks for the help, dude. I really appreciate i!
Well, I have determined that this issue is a conflict between ALSA and udev. I think the bug is with udev. However, it appears on the ALSA bug-tracking. I compiled soundcore as a module. When soundcore loads, udev creates a node at /dev/sound. Then, when the oss modules are loaded, udev tries to put them in a /dev/sound directory, but the existence of /dev/sound node intereferes with this. There is no where for them to go. I think I can blacklist soundcore and load it after udev is grooving, but I think it's got to load BEFORE the oss modules, which leaves me with the problem again. The only solution I have that works is to restart udev and remount /dev/pts. I can live with it, but it seems like a dirty hack. And, of course, I can compile soundcore into the kernel. That works for my laptop (same version of udev and ALSA.) I think udev still needs some work.