LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2009, 03:25 AM   #1
anarchic_birdsong
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Distribution: OpenGEU, Slackware
Posts: 36

Rep: Reputation: 15
Cool Pre-existing GRUB eats LILO on fresh install of SW13


Hello!

I seem to have successfully installed Slackware 13 on my EeePC 900, but some previous *buntu left a nasty grub mess that makes Lilo not load, and which itself does not load anything. It tells me, "Error 17". I've looked at other posts about this error, but I've not yet found a solution that seems relevant. I didn't make a partition for /boot, but I made the one for / bootable.

I like Grub more than Lilo, so I'd prefer if Grub worked out.

Could you please help me fix it?

Last edited by anarchic_birdsong; 11-04-2009 at 03:29 AM.
 
Old 11-04-2009, 03:44 AM   #2
jheengut
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: Providence, Moka Mauritius
Distribution: Slackware, OpenSuse, Debian, Fedora, Mageia, Ubuntu, RedHat, BSD, Gentoo, Puppy
Posts: 187
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 3
could u tell how and where u got that error
 
Old 11-04-2009, 03:48 AM   #3
rkrishna
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: chennai(madras), India
Distribution: slackware ofcourse
Posts: 654

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
It tells me, "Error 17"
right now you dont have any bootloader installed, so
get into the machine using the install cd/dvd. and run liloconfig again

which filesystem u are using? ext4, ? stick to lilo.
otherwise install grub from /extra and run grubconfig
 
Old 11-04-2009, 03:50 AM   #4
anarchic_birdsong
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Distribution: OpenGEU, Slackware
Posts: 36

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Actually Grub's been giving me some error ever since I last tried to install a different *buntu (which failed b/c of Bios problems). I'd been meaning to try Slackware and this was an opportunity. So, simply, after completing the install I reboot and on boot Grub tells me it's loading and then error 17.
 
Old 11-04-2009, 03:52 AM   #5
anarchic_birdsong
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Distribution: OpenGEU, Slackware
Posts: 36

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkrishna View Post
right now you dont have any bootloader installed, so
get into the machine using the install cd/dvd. and run liloconfig again

which filesystem u are using? ext4, ? stick to lilo.
otherwise install grub from /extra and run grubconfig
I'm using ext3 systems, do you still advise lilo?

I'll try liloconfig now.
 
Old 11-04-2009, 03:55 AM   #6
anarchic_birdsong
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Distribution: OpenGEU, Slackware
Posts: 36

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchic_birdsong View Post
I'll try liloconfig now.
-/bin/sh: liloconfig: not found

no autocompletion for lilo of any sort

I'm not sure how to install grub from here either.

Last edited by anarchic_birdsong; 11-04-2009 at 03:57 AM.
 
Old 11-04-2009, 03:58 AM   #7
voyciz
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 425

Rep: Reputation: 40
Did you install LILO to the MBR or on the root partition? If it was installed to the root partition this is why GRUB is still loading. You can use this to clear out the MBR (get rid of GRUB)

Quote:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda/ bs=446 count=1
 
Old 11-04-2009, 04:00 AM   #8
voyciz
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 425

Rep: Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchic_birdsong View Post
-/bin/sh: liloconfig: not found

no autocompletion for lilo of any sort

I'm not sure how to install grub from here either.
It's in /sbin, not in a normal user's PATH, try as root.
 
Old 11-04-2009, 04:03 AM   #9
anarchic_birdsong
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Distribution: OpenGEU, Slackware
Posts: 36

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyciz View Post
Did you install LILO to the MBR or on the root partition? If it was installed to the root partition this is why GRUB is still loading. You can use this to clear out the MBR (get rid of GRUB)
I don't think there was an option on the installer for Lilo installation, so I assumed it was automatic.

On trying your line of code, terminal tells me that sda (or hda) is not a directory.

Last edited by anarchic_birdsong; 11-04-2009 at 04:06 AM.
 
Old 11-04-2009, 04:05 AM   #10
anarchic_birdsong
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Distribution: OpenGEU, Slackware
Posts: 36

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyciz View Post
It's in /sbin, not in a normal user's PATH, try as root.
I cd'd to sbin, tried typing liloconfig, same reply.

The intall command prompt is automatically in root.

Last edited by anarchic_birdsong; 11-04-2009 at 04:06 AM.
 
Old 11-04-2009, 04:09 AM   #11
anarchic_birdsong
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Distribution: OpenGEU, Slackware
Posts: 36

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
sorry, tried your code line again in /sbin with sda and it says

1+0 records in

1+0 records out
 
Old 11-04-2009, 04:12 AM   #12
voyciz
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 425

Rep: Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchic_birdsong View Post
I don't think there was an option on the installer for Lilo installation, so I assumed it was automatic.

On trying your line of code, terminal tells me that sda (or hda) is not a directory.
Sorry, I threw in an extra slash after the device name, should read "/dev/hda" instead of "/dev/hda/".

If you chose to install the LILO package, the setup utility should have prompted you to set up LILO...maybe you missed it? If you're running off the install CD, liloconfig may be in a diff place.

Try "find / -name "liloconfig"
 
Old 11-04-2009, 04:13 AM   #13
voyciz
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 425

Rep: Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchic_birdsong View Post
sorry, tried your code line again in /sbin with sda and it says

1+0 records in

1+0 records out
Sounds normal. Now reboot, GRUB should have vanished.
 
Old 11-04-2009, 04:14 AM   #14
anarchic_birdsong
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Distribution: OpenGEU, Slackware
Posts: 36

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyciz View Post
Sounds normal. Now reboot, GRUB should have vanished.
yes, hurray! now i have just a blinking cursor. what do I do now?
 
Old 11-04-2009, 04:20 AM   #15
anarchic_birdsong
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Distribution: OpenGEU, Slackware
Posts: 36

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyciz View Post
Sorry, I threw in an extra slash after the device name, should read "/dev/hda" instead of "/dev/hda/".

If you chose to install the LILO package, the setup utility should have prompted you to set up LILO...maybe you missed it? If you're running off the install CD, liloconfig may be in a diff place.

Try "find / -name "liloconfig"

I'm running off a USB version of the iso, running find does not find anything having "lilo" or "grub" in it.

Last edited by anarchic_birdsong; 11-04-2009 at 04:22 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fedora LVM eats up 50GB on a fresh install! solspin Fedora 5 05-08-2008 01:25 PM
LXer: Pre-build MythTV Linux PVR eats Windows MCE for breakfast LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 12-16-2006 01:54 AM
chroot and run a pre existing Linux install from another one fakie_flip Linux - Software 1 09-25-2006 01:43 PM
Fresh install FC4 on an existing FC3 box satimis Fedora 6 12-24-2005 12:10 AM
Installing Win98 on slave drive to pre-existing linux install on primary eliszka Linux - Software 8 11-07-2001 11:46 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration