LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2003, 09:52 PM   #1
newpenguin
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2002
Location: lahore pakistan
Distribution: slackware,redhat, FreeBSD,openbsd
Posts: 219

Rep: Reputation: 30
Talking poor slacker


hello dear slackers how are u all!

any way to install slackware 9 using only one floppy?

if not then what is the minimal set of floppies to install it?

thanks.


Last edited by newpenguin; 05-20-2003 at 09:55 PM.
 
Old 05-20-2003, 10:02 PM   #2
Fredstickman
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2003
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
It's pretty much impractical to install off of a floppy. Each package set now occupies several floppies in itself, with the exception of A perhaps. For slack 9.0, I'd definantly reccomend the CD. Check www.slackware.com for information. That's what I did.

If you can't download the CD for some reason, like a low baud modem, then you could always buy it fom store.slackware.com for the ever affordable price of 39.99. I also heard ZipSlack is a good way to get slackware onto a windows partition to start with.

Basically, read tons and tons of help files and FAQ pages. I started slack on saturday, and I'm up and running without any problems I can't solve by researching heavily. I also checked out my local library's only Linux Book: Linux Unleashed cerca 1998. Outdated, but still covers all the useful stuff.
 
Old 05-20-2003, 11:55 PM   #3
newpenguin
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2002
Location: lahore pakistan
Distribution: slackware,redhat, FreeBSD,openbsd
Posts: 219

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by Fredstickman
It's pretty much impractical to install off of a floppy. Each package set now occupies several floppies in itself, with the exception of A perhaps. For slack 9.0, I'd definantly reccomend the CD. Check www.slackware.com for information. That's what I did.

If you can't download the CD for some reason, like a low baud modem, then you could always buy it fom store.slackware.com for the ever affordable price of 39.99. I also heard ZipSlack is a good way to get slackware onto a windows partition to start with.

Basically, read tons and tons of help files and FAQ pages. I started slack on saturday, and I'm up and running without any problems I can't solve by researching heavily. I also checked out my local library's only Linux Book: Linux Unleashed cerca 1998. Outdated, but still covers all the useful stuff.
what are you saying

i have the slack 9 iso on mine HD. and i want to install it using floppies.
 
Old 05-21-2003, 03:01 AM   #4
sqn
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Distribution: Ubuntu, Arch, freeBSD, Slackware
Posts: 210

Rep: Reputation: 30
use a cd emulator to mount your iso in Windows, go to the dosutils folder, and make a bootable floopy.
boot your system from it and select install from a location.
Hope it works. I'never done it,but i head something about this

 
Old 05-21-2003, 12:47 PM   #5
newpenguin
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2002
Location: lahore pakistan
Distribution: slackware,redhat, FreeBSD,openbsd
Posts: 219

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by sqn
use a cd emulator to mount your iso in Windows, go to the dosutils folder, and make a bootable floopy.
boot your system from it and select install from a location.
Hope it works. I'never done it,but i head something about this

i have "undisker" in mine windows i can mount the iso.
but same thing i want to know which images i need to write on floppies ?

thanks

Last edited by newpenguin; 05-21-2003 at 12:49 PM.
 
Old 05-21-2003, 03:17 PM   #6
phishman3579
Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Posts: 161

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally posted by newpenguin
i have "undisker" in mine windows i can mount the iso.
but same thing i want to know which images i need to write on floppies ?

thanks
I would advise that you get 3 floppy images... bare.i, install.1, and install.2

format those onto 3 floppies then load the packages from the cdrom/hd.
 
Old 05-24-2003, 09:41 AM   #7
windrose
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2003
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
all infos you need can be found here:
http://www.slackware.com/faq/do_faq....q=installation
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm a new Slacker olias Slackware 29 08-27-2014 11:07 AM
Brand New Slacker wdavidson Slackware 9 08-22-2003 09:08 PM
New slacker questions masterJ Slackware 5 07-01-2003 03:42 AM
You poor, poor deluded kids. Nu-Bee General 24 02-25-2003 01:20 PM
I'm a slacker in need Tekime Slackware 2 07-30-2002 01:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration