LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
zyli2006
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: 0
pkgtool doesn't support txz?


I just download MPlayer-r29301-i486-1.txz, and want to install it using pkgtool, but it seems that pkgtool doesn't recognize the txz file. What can I do?

My slackware version is 12.2, from dvd.

Thanks!

Last edited by zyli2006; 05-20-2009 at 01:58 PM.
 
Old 05-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
MS3FGX
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: NJ, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian
Posts: 5,852

Rep: Reputation: 351Reputation: 351Reputation: 351Reputation: 351
You are trying to use packages from -current on a stable release of Slackware (12.2), which is not a good idea and in this particular case won't work. The default Slackware package format (or more accurately, the compression used on the package) has changed in -current, and is not compatible with the old pkgtools.
 
Old 05-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
samac
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Westray, Orkney
Distribution: Slackware64-14.1 (multi-lib) KDE 4.11.4
Posts: 1,422

Rep: Reputation: 137Reputation: 137
You are trying to install a package from current onto 12.2 with the 12.2 package manager. txz packages are only in current and only supported by the pkgtool in current at the moment, so you will have to get a tgz package or uncompress it and rebuild it as a tgz.

samac
 
Old 05-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
MannyNix
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: ~
Distribution: Slackware -current, OpenBSD
Posts: 449

Rep: Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyli2006 View Post
...What can I do?
Use Mplayer from slackbuilds.org and maybe mplayer-codecs-all too.
HowTo (just in case)
gl
 
Old 05-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
zyli2006
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks for your reply.

If I want to "upgrade" my system to the -current branch, what tutorials should I follow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samac View Post
You are trying to install a package from current onto 12.2 with the 12.2 package manager. txz packages are only in current and only supported by the pkgtool in current at the moment, so you will have to get a tgz package or uncompress it and rebuild it as a tgz.

samac
 
Old 05-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
MannyNix
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: ~
Distribution: Slackware -current, OpenBSD
Posts: 449

Rep: Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyli2006 View Post
If I want to "upgrade" my system to the -current branch, what tutorials should I follow?
Here's the official one --> UPGRADE.TXT
Always good to read CURRENT.WARNING first.
There are some recent posts on the forum, just use the search tool.
gl
 
Old 05-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
chess
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: 127.0.0.1
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 728

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168
Bear in mind that if you decide to run Slackware -current, which is a constantly moving target, it is not a supported 'release' and things like the SlackBuild scripts at SlackBuilds.org are not guaranteed to work. Many of them might work just fine, but essentially if you run -current you are on your own. Slackware -current is the development tree for the future release of Slackware. If you are new to Slackware, I would not recommend running -current on a production machine since breakage, although rare, can happen. Otherwise, I would recommend sticking with a supported release like 12.2. And if you want mplayer for 12.2, I would use the SlackBuild scripts that MannyNix pointed out.

Last edited by chess; 05-20-2009 at 02:57 PM.
 
Old 05-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
zyli2006
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thank you so much. Yes I am a new slacker, and I will stay on 12.2.

I just noticed that people here are excited about the new features in the -current branch so I was curious about it.

Now I will stay on my 12.2, it's good enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chess View Post
Bear in mind that if you decide to run Slackware -current, which is a constantly moving target, it is not a supported 'release' and things like the SlackBuild scripts at SlackBuilds.org are not guaranteed to work. Many of them might work just fine, but essentially if you run -current you are on your own. Slackware -current is the development tree for the future release of Slackware. If you are new to Slackware, I would not recommend running -current on a production machine since breakage, although rare, can happen. Otherwise, I would recommend sticking with a supported release like 12.2. And if you want mplayer for 12.2, I would use the SlackBuild scripts that MannyNix pointed out.
 
Old 05-20-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
rg3
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Slackware Linux
Posts: 508

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyNix View Post
Here's the official one --> UPGRADE.TXT
Always good to read CURRENT.WARNING first.
There are some recent posts on the forum, just use the search tool.
gl
As I mentioned in another thread, those instructions are not yet updated. You need to install xz and pkgtools first, and now packages can be in both tgz and txz format, so the commands mentioned in UPGRADE.TXT would need to be adapted. The glibc-solibs package is in txz format, hence the need to upgrade xz and pkgtools first.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pkgtool - where is it dannemil Slackware 6 11-30-2007 07:51 AM
pkgtool does nothing?! alienDog Slackware 8 10-31-2004 05:11 PM
Pkgtool Corallis Slackware 6 09-01-2004 11:49 PM
pkgtool sio Linux - General 0 07-30-2003 12:47 PM
using pkgtool ivans Slackware 2 05-28-2003 09:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration