LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
Slack-The-Planet
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2017
Distribution: Slackware 14.2
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
pkg-config on the Live CD?


Hi,

I have 14.2 installed bare metal on my laptop with no problem, but I'm a bit more apprehensive about installing directly to my main server without thoroughly testing with the Live ISO image.

I'm trying to install a SlackBuild of wv, which is a dependency of Abiword. The configure process halts at the pkg-config version check saying it's not installed. When I which pkg-config I get nothing; either it's not installed or it's not in my path.

Similarly, when I ran slackpkg upgrade-all it downloaded all updates but failed at the installation.

Has this got something to do with the Live ISO?

STP

EDIT: Sorry, just realized the Live ISO is based on current and the SBo's are for stable. My bad. Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees.

Last edited by Slack-The-Planet; 08-06-2017 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Solution
 
Old 08-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #2
ponce
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Pisa, Italy
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 3,721

Rep: Reputation: 1813Reputation: 1813Reputation: 1813Reputation: 1813Reputation: 1813Reputation: 1813Reputation: 1813Reputation: 1813Reputation: 1813Reputation: 1813Reputation: 1813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack-The-Planet View Post
Hi,

I have 14.2 installed bare metal on my laptop with no problem, but I'm a bit more apprehensive about installing directly to my main server without thoroughly testing with the Live ISO image.

I'm trying to install a SlackBuild of wv, which is a dependency of Abiword. The configure process halts at the pkg-config version check saying it's not installed. When I which pkg-config I get nothing; either it's not installed or it's not in my path.

Similarly, when I ran slackpkg upgrade-all it downloaded all updates but failed at the installation.

Has this got something to do with the Live ISO?
I think that happens because you downloaded, as you wrote in the title, the Live CD: that is a partial, stripped-down Slackware installation and building from SlackBuilds.org requires a full installation instead (like the one you can find on the live *DVD* iso).

Quote:
EDIT: Sorry, just realized the Live ISO is based on current and the SBo's are for stable. My bad. Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees.
that shouldn't be a great issue if you are the adventurous type and you are willing to get your hands dirty mainly on your own (but with a little help )
 
Old 08-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #3
Slack-The-Planet
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2017
Distribution: Slackware 14.2
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponce View Post
that shouldn't be a great issue if you are the adventurous type and you are willing to get your hands dirty mainly on your own (but with a little help )
Well, I definitely DO fall into that category. I've had a good poke around at the rc. scripts, switched to the generic kernel, set up my VPN (writing my own rc.openvpn as I couldn't find one?), built a whole host of applications and had very little issue with any of it.

I'm very impressed with Slackware! I feel right at home with this incarnation of Linux
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Pkg-config spiky0011 Linux From Scratch 7 11-04-2012 10:03 AM
pkg-config brimble2010 SUSE / openSUSE 3 05-19-2008 08:01 AM
pkg-config supersucker Linux - Software 3 09-07-2004 09:45 AM
How do i use PKG-Config? A1Ph4 Linux - Software 1 08-08-2003 09:06 PM
pkg-config TraCe66 Linux - Newbie 1 07-01-2003 02:56 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration