LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
arodlinux
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: today here, 2morrow there, next week anywhere
Distribution: Slackware64 14, openSuse 12.3,
Posts: 70

Rep: Reputation: 27
Opera behavior with xfce


I got Opera installed and using it under Slackware 14 (stable) and Xfce and runs perfect. The only thing is that when I close the tabs it seen like the tabs remains open. I have searched the problem and I cannot find indications of what is the problem. It does do that under KDE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10 AM.jpg (191.9 KB, 43 views)
 
Old 08-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current & "True Multilib." PC-BSD.
Posts: 2,252

Rep: Reputation: 181Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodlinux View Post
I got Opera installed and using it under Slackware 14 (stable) and Xfce and runs perfect. The only thing is that when I close the tabs it seen like the tabs remains open. I have searched the problem and I cannot find indications of what is the problem. It does do that under KDE.
What version of Opera are you running? That doesn't look like Opera 12.16, the last (and possibly final) version of Opera for Linux. Ah, I see... you are not showing the menu bar.

You say it does or does not do the same thing in KDE?
Xfce still has a few video problems so it is, mosly like, not Opera so much as it is Xorg and/or your video driver.

Last edited by cwizardone; 08-28-2013 at 10:31 AM.
 
Old 08-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
arodlinux
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: today here, 2morrow there, next week anywhere
Distribution: Slackware64 14, openSuse 12.3,
Posts: 70

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 27
It doesn't have that problem under KDE. The version that I'm using is 12.16 and I just changed the Xfce appearance and it stopped doing it. Therefore, I'm guessing that the problem is related with Xfce and not Opera because I was using oxygen-gtk and now I'm using Xfce default.
 
Old 08-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
gezley
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Slackware64, NetBSD
Posts: 534

Rep: Reputation: 248Reputation: 248Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodlinux View Post
It doesn't have that problem under KDE. The version that I'm using is 12.16 and I just changed the Xfce appearance and it stopped doing it. Therefore, I'm guessing that the problem is related with Xfce and not Opera because I was using oxygen-gtk and now I'm using Xfce default.
Hi, if you have a widescreen monitor you can display the tab bar vertically, down the left hand side for example (right-click toolbar area | Customize | Appearance | Toolbars | Tab bar | Placement = Left).

Alternatively, and to my mind a more useful tip, you can hide the tab bar altogether and display the Windows panel (right-click toolbar area | Customize | Appearance | Panels | Windows = 1). All your open tabs will appear in a list in the panel.

Of course this applies only to Opera 12. They've made a complete hames of the new Chrome-clone version. Everything that was good about Opera has disappeared to the bit bucket, and now all it's good for is social media rubbish, which seems to be all the rage on the web these days.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current & "True Multilib." PC-BSD.
Posts: 2,252

Rep: Reputation: 181Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by gezley View Post
.....Of course this applies only to Opera 12. They've made a complete hames of the new Chrome-clone version. Everything that was good about Opera has disappeared to the bit bucket, and now all it's good for is social media rubbish, which seems to be all the rage on the web these days.
+1.
Opera is dead. Even if they do make a version for Linux, and I'll only believe it when I see it, I doubt very much it will be as useful and configurable as the pre-chrome-clone versions. Not being able to turn off the tracking function (they use the euphemism of "fraud and malware protection") is a major reason to never use the opera-chrome-clone.

Last edited by cwizardone; 08-28-2013 at 03:39 PM.
 
Old 08-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
gezley
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Slackware64, NetBSD
Posts: 534

Rep: Reputation: 248Reputation: 248Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwizardone View Post
+1.
Opera is dead. Even if they do make a version for Linux, and I'll only believe it when I see it, I doubt very much it will be as useful and configurable as the pre-chrome-clone versions. Not being able to turn off the tracking function (they use the euphemism of "fraud and malware protection") is a major reason to never use the opera-chrome-clone.
I get the feeling they have succumbed to Google High Command. The Microsoft monoculture is beginning to look like Cinderella compared with the Google, Facebook, and *buntu monoculture taking shape now.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
ruario
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,894

Rep: Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951
If you want to use oxygen-gtk, set opera:config#FileSelector|DialogToolkit to 4, click save and then restart Opera. Opera will no longer look like a 'native' Gtk or KDE application but it will be usable. We simply break with that theme. This is not going to be fixed in the 12 series.

As for the conspiracies, ignore them.

Last edited by ruario; 08-28-2013 at 05:05 PM.
 
Old 08-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
gezley
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Slackware64, NetBSD
Posts: 534

Rep: Reputation: 248Reputation: 248Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruario View Post
As for the conspiracies, ignore them.
What a convenient way to dismiss a person's opinion, by publicly rubbishing it as a conspiracy and thus destroying his credibility on other matters as well. I happen to think that the company you work for has succumbed to Google's wishes in more ways than one. There is absolutely no need to publicly humiliate me by calling my opinion a conspiracy. Not everything for which the evidence is inferential and circumstantial is a conspiracy.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
ruario
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,894

Rep: Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951
@gezley: If I offended you I'm sorry, that was not my intention. I have plenty of respect for you personally but I do get tired of hearing that this is all some master plan of Google's (not just from you), when I know that not to be the case. Our switch to webkit/blink was not at the behest of Google. We planned the switch ourselves and informed them of our plans after the decision had been made internally.
 
Old 08-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current & "True Multilib." PC-BSD.
Posts: 2,252

Rep: Reputation: 181Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by gezley View Post
I get the feeling they have succumbed to Google High Command. The Microsoft monoculture is beginning to look like Cinderella compared with the Google, Facebook, and *buntu monoculture taking shape now.
Couldn't agree more. I've gone so far as to say opera is in google's back pocket, which is probably the reason ruario said what he said, but until opera proves me wrong, and I hope they do, I'll keep saying it as I've seen nothing, absolutely nothing, that would indicate anything to the contrary. They whole thing sinks like a Bangkok klong at low tide. If google is not involved then opera's management should resign as they don't have the commonsense God gave a goat (nothing new actually, if you look how the company has been managed over the years).
 
Old 08-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #11
GazL
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Posts: 3,480

Rep: Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016
IMO the switch to webkit/blink is more likely all about development cost-saving than anything "conspiratorial": why expend time/money on making your own rendering engine when you can just piggy-back on google.

However, as far as I'm concerned I'm with cwiz' "Opera Desktop Browser is Dead". The new one is not available for linux, and shows no signs of becoming available any time soon, but even if it were available I honestly can't see any feature that would be a compelling enough reason to use it. Opera 12 was full of such features (and I'm not just talking about the mail/rss client - though that was a big part of the appeal for me).

I've used the old Opera for a couple of years now for both web and mail and it was outstanding. If it weren't for the security risks of running an out-of-support browser I'd just stick with the old one, but sooner or later - most likely sooner - they're going to start to neglect security issues on the old code base.

If Opera had been an open-source project this change in direction would have resulted in a fork. Sadly that's not an option here and something wonderful is being lost forever. So sad to see this happen.

Last edited by GazL; 08-29-2013 at 05:00 AM.
 
Old 08-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #12
arodlinux
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: today here, 2morrow there, next week anywhere
Distribution: Slackware64 14, openSuse 12.3,
Posts: 70

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 27
@ruario Thanks, that really solved the problem.
 
Old 08-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,383

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Firstly - ruario is a solid contributor here and I don't in any way blame him for the 'Opera situation'.

That said, Opera, along with Mozilla Firefox, is being bankrolled by google in exchange for setting it as the default search and hosting their adware/spyware - so there is undoubtedly google influence of some kind. But whether this was wholly an Opera decision or a google one is largely irrelevant - what is important is the outcome of this.

Now that Opera have moved, not to the webkit/bink layout engine, but to be based on chromium itself, there is considerably more influence as the browser now also depends entirely on a google project. A browser monoculture does seem to be looming on the horizon, but things could change again in a few years, so hopefully it can be avoided. There is the danger however that in being a "based on" browser, Opera will become a more obscure and irrelevant one - as opposed to being a niche browser with a dedicated, cross platform following. By making this decision, Opera have contributed to the formation of a monoculture.

This whole thing seems like just another way for google to assimilate more competition. In following google, Opera are simply endorsing their product - in using chromium Opera is simply fast-tracking itself to being an irrelevant browser.

If you look at Firefox, though it is funded by google, it's pretty obvious that it does not factor in google's long term plans. If you have a popular open source browser, funded by you and dancing to your tune, you do not go and launch another open source browser to steal it's user base - unless you are actually planning to kill it...
 
3 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply

Tags
opera, tabs, xfce


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opera (11.60.1185) crash on Xfce under Debian Squeeze sattvakarma Debian 15 01-25-2012 02:43 AM
Help me track down the cause of an annoying XFCE behavior bonixavier Slackware 1 01-15-2011 08:03 AM
LXer: Opera Desktop Team releases first Unix builds of Opera 10.5 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-01-2010 10:11 AM
[WORKED AROUND] Xfce Help not displayed when Opera is default web browser catkin Linux - Desktop 4 09-02-2009 03:47 PM
Xfce...strange key repeat behavior...but not with root... joutlancpa Slackware 4 04-19-2009 03:53 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration