SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Originally posted by Franklin I have noticed that once I add more than one user to the system, one user seems to have ownership of the /dev/dsp symlink and the others complain about permissions untill I chmod it..
You need to add that user to the audio group.
# adduser <username> audio
I think that's all there is to the command. If not, you can search for it and read man pages.
After reading your post and doing some (re)searching, I decided that your approach does indeed make more sense than chmoding to world. So after changing the ownership/group of all dsp, mixer, and midi devices in /dev to root/audio, I included the users in the audio group and everything is playing nice.
Funny how you can make something work by accident and think you understand it.
That problem doesn't occur in the Slackware-10.0 kernel 2.4.26, but in kernel 2.6.x
and not for everyone in every distribution using that. Do you have a dual boot now
with Slackware 9.1 and 10.0?
Be notified that because of the way the Debian distro works, with so many different
people inputting, there's frequently this type of problem for them. They'll eventually
get it worked out, but it does not effect Slackware.
Last edited by Bruce Hill; 07-04-2004 at 08:46 AM.
I have problems with ALSA, all aplications give this error message ''Unable to open the audio device''. But alsamixer and amixer works fine. I have SB Audigy that is device 1 and Leadtek (bt878) tv tuner that is device 0. Or ALSA during setup installed them that way. I tried with alsaconf and it found my sound card, and change modules.conf but still nothing.
How to make audigy work? In slack 9.0 I installed ALSA and everything worked like a charm. But I don't recall setin bt878 in ALSA.
I don't really know what I did, but I seem to have sound sort of working now. I can use xmms, etc, but sound within KDE doesn't seem to work (i.e. can't hear sounds in kpoker), although in control center the test sound works while the test midi doesn't.
The only thing I remember doing is adding these to rc.modules (even though some of them were being added anyway):
I don't know which of the bars in alsamixer represents midi, but I unmuted and raised all the levels. None of them made midi work. The other weird part is that the control center does list several emu10k1 midi devices (none work). I wish I knew what the "Use MIDI mapper" option is for and what to put in there...maybe that might help.
I finally managed to get this figured out. All I had to do was get rid of my ~/.kde/ and ~/.kderc (actually renamed them in case I needed some settings), and start KDE anew. Sound started magically working (still no MIDI though).