LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   NVIDIA driver install problems on slack 8.1 (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/nvidia-driver-install-problems-on-slack-8-1-a-27190/)

Goatdemon 08-04-2002 05:23 PM

NVIDIA driver install problems on slack 8.1
 
when i try to install my driver files for my nvidia geforce2mx graphics card i always get an error1 message preceded by a streaming line of "depmod: xxx unresolved symbols in...." lines.

ive tried re-downloading and re-installing several times, to no avail.

has slack 8.1 pre installed my graphics drivers for me?

any ideas?... also, i am installing from source, should i be using pkgtool?

darkmage 08-04-2002 09:58 PM

The only thing that i know of that would give you depmod errors would be if you tried to compile the glx before the kernel.

Goatdemon 08-04-2002 11:10 PM

no, this is kernel first

Goatdemon 08-05-2002 04:46 PM

any one got any ideas... anyone?

NSKL 08-06-2002 06:14 AM

Yeah i just installed Slack 8.1 and got the same error.

I got depmod unresolved symbold in /lib/modules/2.4.18/pcmcia/somefiles and since i dont need any pcmcia (and i recompiled the kernel without them, reinstalled modules, but somehow these modules for pcmcia stayed from the older kernel) i just rm -rf /lib/modules/2.4.18/pcmcia, and ran make install from NVIDIA-kernel again, and it installed fine this time.

I'm still trying to get GLX to work tho...

Hope that helps, in other words, if you dont need modules with unresolved symbols remove them, later you canalways make them again if need be.

-NSKL

EDIT: To get GLX to work i put Load "glx" into XF86Config, although the HOWTO sais not to do it, im leaving it like this, since it works...

Goatdemon 08-06-2002 05:15 PM

thanks, i'll try it nskl

Goatdemon 08-06-2002 08:32 PM

nskl, oh dear dear nskl, you have solved my problem. thank you.

i did the rm -rf /lib/modules.... command several times because i had many depmod errors in the /kernel/net and /fs and /drivers and one in my /arch/i386/kernel folder. what exactly does that command do, i know rm is remove/delete, but what does the -rf option do, refresh? i guess i could check a man page. anyway, will this command adversely affect any other part of my sysem?

NSKL 08-07-2002 10:26 AM

Uh, oh...
I hope you didnt do rm -rf /lib/modules cuz that will remove all of your modules.
Anywat rm -rf means delete a file/dir so you can never get it back.
Now make sure you dont need any of the modules you deleted, and if you do you will have to compile them into the kernel.
But if everything works fine, it means you didnt need any of the modules you deleted, and everything is ok, no worries. But if some device is not working, it means you probably deleted a module you needed.
In this case, as i said before, recompile your kernel and this time compile those modules into the kernel, or just recompile those modules.
And, for future reference, every time you recompile and install a new kernel you will need to reinstall NVIDIA drivers as well, so dont delete the sources!
And every time i do that, i get those depmod errors, so if i dont need the modules that complain i just rm -rf them, and then NVIDIA driver loads successfully.
Anyways, i just read this post and it's a mess, i hope you can understand something. :D
If you have any more questions ask me
Hope that helps
-NSKL

X11 08-07-2002 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NSKL
Yeah i just installed Slack 8.1 and got the same error.

I got depmod unresolved symbold in /lib/modules/2.4.18/pcmcia/somefiles and since i dont need any pcmcia (and i recompiled the kernel without them, reinstalled modules, but somehow these modules for pcmcia stayed from the older kernel) i just rm -rf /lib/modules/2.4.18/pcmcia, and ran make install from NVIDIA-kernel again, and it installed fine this time.

So I'm not the only one who gets "depmod" errors when trying to compile PCMCIA support as a module for Linux, I hope this problem has been fixed in 2.4.19.

Nigel_Tufnel 08-07-2002 12:45 PM

I'm installing the NVIDIA drivers later today. I'll let you know if I encounter the same issues with my TNT2 RIVA 64 card.

Nigel_Tufnel 08-08-2002 07:50 AM

I compiled and installed the drivers and started up X on the first try. Everything was quite slow and the screen froze. I closed down X and re-installed GLX (as recomended by some). X started up, the screen went black and about 15 seconds later the NVidia spash screen came up and KDE started. All looked o.k. until I ran glxgears which was very slow. I checked to make sure all the links and files were installed and correct. I checked the /var/log file and did not see any warnings or errors. Startups into X take about 30 seconds. Could it be that that the drivers aren't that great? I'll go through the readme and check the NVidia forums. :confused:

NSKL 08-08-2002 09:43 AM

downlaod a program called nvcheck to check if you have duplicate GL libraries, if not, and GL is still not working put a line
Load "glx"
inot /etc/X11/XF86Config file, and re start X.
NVIDIA site sais not to do this, but i found that NvIDIA_GLX doesn't work in slack 8.1 (At least for me) but it works fine when i added the line mentioned above.

Goatdemon 08-08-2002 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nigel_Tufnel
I compiled and installed the drivers and started up X on the first try. Everything was quite slow and the screen froze. I closed down X and re-installed GLX (as recomended by some). X started up, the screen went black and about 15 seconds later the NVidia spash screen came up and KDE started. All looked o.k. until I ran glxgears which was very slow. I checked to make sure all the links and files were installed and correct. I checked the /var/log file and did not see any warnings or errors. Startups into X take about 30 seconds. Could it be that that the drivers aren't that great? I'll go through the readme and check the NVidia forums. :confused:
check out the instructions on the site, install from the tar balls and do it while not in x. if you want you can edit the xf86config file first while in x, then exit and install the drivers. remeber there's a kernel and glx file.

and nskl, you are supposed to load glx. the documentation says to enable load "glx" and disable load "dri" and "GLcore"

Nigel_Tufnel 08-09-2002 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Goatdemon

check out the instructions on the site, install from the tar balls and do it while not in x. if you want you can edit the xf86config file first while in x, then exit and install the drivers. remeber there's a kernel and glx file.
and nskl, you are supposed to load glx. the documentation says to enable load "glx" and disable load "dri" and "GLcore"

Goatdemon,
Thanks for the assistance. I did install from the tarball and not in X. My newbie rank is becuase I just started posting on these boards! :) I'll download nvcheck and see if I have duplicate GL libraries. On the Nvidia board I hear people talking about going back to older versions of the driver. I'll do my best to figure the problem out and keep the new drivers. If all else fails I'll go back to the older version that I ran my old 10 gig HD with Slack 8.0.
Thanks again.

Nigel

dai 08-11-2002 01:51 PM

Just installed Slack 8.1 and have a Geforce 4 so downloaded nvidia tar's

Dont know if this will help any one else with this prob but here goes: -

Installed Slack 8.1 (used Usb Kernel from CD)

copied the tarball sources into /usr/local

tar zxvf kernel.tar.gz

tar zxvf gkx.tar.gz

cd kernel directory

make install> OK

Cd GLX directory

make install>OK

Edited XF86Config to point to nvidia driver

modprobe NVdriver

startx

And this worked fine


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.