SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
The group you need is "audio", not sure if this is what you meant or not.
1) Make sure sound works as root. If not run alsaconf.
2) Make sure the user has group "audio"
3) Make sure the sound is not turned down/muted
4) Some sound cards have a digital output switch in the mixer make sure it is set correctly.
Eventually I discovered two troubling files: kmixrc and kmixctrlrc. I discovered those two files by modifying the profile and then using the KFind tool to report all files modified in the past one minute. Those two files were listed and I began investigating. On a hunch I deleted the files from my testing user profile and then started KDE with that user account. No sound problems. Those two files were a contributing culprit to all or some of my sound troubles.
So I'm going to check for those two files and see what happens. I'll post my results.