LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #16
Richard Cranium
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Carrollton, Texas
Distribution: Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 1,567

Rep: Reputation: 462Reputation: 462Reputation: 462Reputation: 462Reputation: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux_dude View Post
Could you not use autofs?
I'll second this suggestion since it's a fairly good solution for random NFS mounts; the nfs shares for a given server (machine_name are mounted as subdirectories when you access the directory /net/machine_name. The autofs code will also quietly umount the shares if you aren't using them for a given length of time.

All in all, pretty nice and probably worth learning about in your Copious Free Time.
 
Old 12-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #17
TSquaredF
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: "The South Coast of Texas"
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 490
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 55
Just a note: I used the loop method in rc.local for quite a while to mount nfs shares. It worked, 98% of the time. The other 2% of the time, something messed up & I had all kinds of problems. Then I found autofs. It really is the way to go for nfs. Stop playing around & set up autofs.
Regards,
Bill
 
Old 12-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #18
mostlyharmless
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Distribution: Slackware -current (multilib) with kernel 3.16.2
Posts: 1,566
Blog Entries: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 178Reputation: 178
Yeah, well, I set up autofs and then I wanted to set up a bridge for my virtual machine, and NetworkManager was just getting in the way. So... back to the traditional rc.inet1 and inet2 (I love Slackware) and the problem is solved by avoidance. But not actually [SOLVED]
 
Old 12-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #19
TSquaredF
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: "The South Coast of Texas"
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 490
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 55
Posted by mostlyharmless:
Quote:
So... back to the traditional rc.inet1 and inet2 (I love Slackware) and the problem is solved by avoidance. But not actually [SOLVED]
What does this have to do with mounting nfs?
Regards,
Bill
 
Old 12-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #20
mostlyharmless
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Distribution: Slackware -current (multilib) with kernel 3.16.2
Posts: 1,566
Blog Entries: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 178Reputation: 178
Well, now that I'm doing the traditional inet scripts instead of NetworkManager, the nfs mount in fstab works. No need for anything in rc.local.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mount a network drive joro123 Linux - Newbie 14 10-06-2013 06:19 AM
cant seem to mount a network drive on boot up linux hates me Linux - Networking 2 06-10-2009 02:22 AM
auto mount a network drive at boot Dr Gutiemouth Linux - Newbie 14 02-27-2005 02:32 PM
How do I mount a Network Drive surfduke Suse/Novell 1 01-21-2005 10:17 AM
How do i mount a network drive? yenonn Linux - Networking 1 03-10-2003 02:57 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration