LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Ginger
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 14

Rep: Reputation: 0
Talking Newbie to XRDP


Hi guys,

before you flame me for not searching I have and unless my beer goggles have let me down I haven't found anything, anyhow here we go ....

I have just installed Slackware 12.2 on my works PC and now I want to use a M$ RDP client to connect to it, I have downloaded XRDP from slackbuilds, built it and installed it from the /tmp directory but that is where I am stuck. What do I do next? I have installed X11VNC Server to no avail.

Can someone help this fool?

Cheers

Last edited by Ginger; 05-12-2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Changed the notification because I forgot to set it when I wrote it :)
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 64-bit with multilib
Posts: 2,074

Rep: Reputation: 193Reputation: 193
This is just a shot in the dark, but after you installed XRDP did you make sure that the service itself has been started? Check to see if the process is running by issuing a ps auxw command. If not, I would imagine there has to be some kind of XRDP.rc or something related to that in /etc/rc.d/. If there is, try starting said service by issuing the command:

Code:
/etc/rc.d/XRDP.rc start
Again, I don't really know IF it is XRDP.rc, it could be something slightly different. I hope this pushes you in some kind of 'right' direction.

Also, check the documentation for that service, it will at least give you clearer information than I could ever do, unless there is someone else here (hopefully), that can.
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
Ginger
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
God I feel a complete idiot, doh, I should have checked that, well the service is now up and running.

Time to play some more.

Thanks for your help and sorry for being a plank
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 64-bit with multilib
Posts: 2,074

Rep: Reputation: 193Reputation: 193
No worries, happens to us all from time to time.


Also make sure to change the mode to +x on your .rc file if you want the service to start during bootup.

Code:
chmod +x XRDP(whatever it is).rc

Last edited by Jeebizz; 05-12-2009 at 11:24 AM.
 
Old 05-13-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
shadowsnipes
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,441

Rep: Reputation: 70
Since xrdp isn't stock Slackware software, /etc/rc.d/rc.xrdp won't be started by default unless you call it from one of the init scripts (rc.local would be appropriate).

You can make connecting to xrdp easier by modifying /etc/xrdp/xrdp.ini

For instance, for x11vnc, you might want something like this to be first

Code:
[xrdp1]
name=x11VNC
lib=libvnc.so
ip=127.0.0.1
port=5900
username=na
password=ask
To use this, of course, you would need to have the user start the x11vnc session first. If no one is already logged into X then only root can start a x11vnc session.

If I don't need a real screen, I sometimes prefer a true rdp server and use my x11rdp binary.
Code:
[xrdp1]
name=sesman-X11rdp
lib=libxup.so
username=ask
password=ask
ip=127.0.0.1
port=-1
You can use the xrdp-xwmconfig utility included with the SlackBuild to easily choose your default wm for sessions other than x11vnc. It is basically a modified xwmconfig.

Whatever order you have the [xrdp?] sections is what order the xrdp menu will show. The first is the default.

I am the xrdp SlackBuild maintainer. Please let me know if you have any further questions about the SlackBuild or how to use xrdp. I am pleased to see that others are finding it useful
 
Old 05-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
Ginger
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi Shadowsnipes,

I have [xrdp1] as my first entry in xrdp.ini and I can get the login screen up now and it tries to connect but fails with 'another Xserver is already active on display 10', which as a newbie is confusing me, but I will work on it, unless anyone can my my life easier.

Basically what I am after to be able to connect to my office desktop anywhere with the organisation using Rdp, basically a VNC but via rdp. I might just drop into VNC mode, but dam I like a challenge.
 
Old 05-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
Ginger
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Opps I forgot to say thanks for all your help so far guys, sorry for being a pain
 
Old 05-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #8
shadowsnipes
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,441

Rep: Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Hi Shadowsnipes,

I have [xrdp1] as my first entry in xrdp.ini and I can get the login screen up now and it tries to connect but fails with 'another Xserver is already active on display 10', which as a newbie is confusing me, but I will work on it, unless anyone can my my life easier.

Basically what I am after to be able to connect to my office desktop anywhere with the organisation using Rdp, basically a VNC but via rdp. I might just drop into VNC mode, but dam I like a challenge.
You should show us how you are starting your vnc session (server side). Test it using a regular vnc client first. If you are starting a x11vnc session the display should be :0, or the root display, which is why you would configure the client for using port 5900. It would be 5901 for display 1, 5902 for display 2, etc. The only time you would use x11vnc on different displays is if you had some special configuration such as having multiple X sessions going on at once. x11vnc can have some interesting results in that specific case, if I remember correctly.

Starting an x11vnc session is easy as running the following in a terminal while logged in.
Code:
x11vnc -forever -usepw -display :0
The -forever keeps the session alive after a client exits. I create my passwords with vncpassword (from tightvnc).

You might also want to show us your full xrdp.ini. Also check /var/log/sesman.log for any interesting info.
 
Old 03-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
gezley
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Slackware64, NetBSD
Posts: 490

Rep: Reputation: 207Reputation: 207Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsnipes View Post
You can make connecting to xrdp easier by modifying /etc/xrdp/xrdp.ini

For instance, for x11vnc, you might want something like this to be first

Code:
[xrdp1]
name=x11VNC
lib=libvnc.so
ip=127.0.0.1
port=5900
username=na
password=ask
To use this, of course, you would need to have the user start the x11vnc session first. If no one is already logged into X then only root can start a x11vnc session.

Whatever order you have the [xrdp?] sections is what order the xrdp menu will show. The first is the default.

I am the xrdp SlackBuild maintainer. Please let me know if you have any further questions about the SlackBuild or how to use xrdp. I am pleased to see that others are finding it useful
(replying to old thread)

Hi Shadowsnipes - I got xrdp and tightvnc up and running on a KVM instance of Slackware yesterday. Performance is excellent. One question I have - I added two sections to /etc/xrdp/xrdp.ini but only the original sections show up in the xrdp menu when I connect with rdesktop. What I am trying to do is emulate a real terminal server where I could have multiple users logging in, first by SSH to start the tightvnc server (display :1, :2, :3, :4, etc.) and then with rdesktop, incrementing the port for each user - 5901, 5902, etc.

Am I missing something? Shouldn't I be able to add a section for each user, with the incremented port number pre-loaded for him?
 
Old 03-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
shadowsnipes
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,441

Rep: Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by gezley View Post
(replying to old thread)

Hi Shadowsnipes - I got xrdp and tightvnc up and running on a KVM instance of Slackware yesterday. Performance is excellent. One question I have - I added two sections to /etc/xrdp/xrdp.ini but only the original sections show up in the xrdp menu when I connect with rdesktop. What I am trying to do is emulate a real terminal server where I could have multiple users logging in, first by SSH to start the tightvnc server (display :1, :2, :3, :4, etc.) and then with rdesktop, incrementing the port for each user - 5901, 5902, etc.

Am I missing something? Shouldn't I be able to add a section for each user, with the incremented port number pre-loaded for him?
You probably did not change the [xrdp#] for each menu item. Here is a sample one
Code:
$> cat /etc/xrdp/xrdp.ini 

[globals]
bitmap_cache=yes
bitmap_compression=yes
port=3389
crypt_level=low
channel_code=1

[xrdp1]
name=sesman-X11rdp
lib=libxup.so
username=ask
password=ask
ip=127.0.0.1
port=-1

[xrdp2]
name=console
lib=libvnc.so
ip=127.0.0.1
port=ask5901
username=na
password=ask

[xrdp3]
name=vnc-any
lib=libvnc.so
ip=ask
port=ask5901
username=na
password=ask
Please post your config file if you have further issues.
 
Old 09-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #11
tulcak@gmail.com
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
best discussion yet on XRDP

I am also a noob (no beer goggles today). I have spent hours setting up xrpd for a remote session from a windows vista 64bit to an Ubuntu lucid studio box. I am also connecting from an XP box. Everything works (well, the command su user -c "cd ~user && vncserver -geometry 1024x768 :1" doesn't run automatically from the rc.loca file, but, I'll figure that out eventually).

What does not work are the menus in the remote session (either from the vista or XP). When I click on any menu item, the little watch icon comes on, but, then the program never runs.

Also, I have rc0.d through rc6.d and an rcS.d in my /etc folder. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your posts!
 
Old 10-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
shadowsnipes
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,441

Rep: Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulcak@gmail.com View Post
I am also a noob (no beer goggles today). I have spent hours setting up xrpd for a remote session from a windows vista 64bit to an Ubuntu lucid studio box. I am also connecting from an XP box. Everything works (well, the command su user -c "cd ~user && vncserver -geometry 1024x768 :1" doesn't run automatically from the rc.loca file, but, I'll figure that out eventually).

What does not work are the menus in the remote session (either from the vista or XP). When I click on any menu item, the little watch icon comes on, but, then the program never runs.

Also, I have rc0.d through rc6.d and an rcS.d in my /etc folder. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your posts!
How did you install xrdp on Ubuntu?

Your installation is certainly going to be different than the ones for Slackware, because the build script I wrote for it modifies where files are placed, etc. xrdp's init script for you should be in the /etc/rc?.d folders. The numbers correspond to the runlevels where the script is activated. Please cat that xrdp init file.

What menu item are you referring to? Which program is it trying to run? Did you test that the program works outside of xrdp first? For instance, if you are running a vnc server did you try to connect to localhost from a terminal?

It might be helpful is you describe you xrdp installation.
ls -l /usr/lib/xrdp (or whatever is main directory)

cat sesman.ini, xrdp.ini (should be under /etc/xrdp)

sesman.ini also tells you where your LogFile is. Check the log file for errors.
 
  


Reply

Tags
slackware


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xrdp authenticates but does not load X server (RDP) shadowsnipes Linux - Server 28 03-15-2012 03:08 AM
xrdp sessions mustafa Linux - Server 2 05-13-2009 11:44 PM
xrdp upgrade problem manoj.maniraj Linux - Software 1 05-13-2009 11:43 PM
XRDP Remote login to XP hobz Fedora 0 01-26-2008 10:22 AM
CVS how-to --- xrdp paul_mat Linux - Newbie 8 06-27-2005 05:09 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration