Newbie Slackware CDROM & Sound Problems
I just loaded up Slackware 9.1 onto my new machine - Athlon 2400+ and had a couple of problems, that I think should be simple to solve - although I could not work it out :(
1.) When a CDROM is loaded into the SAMSUNG CDRW, there is no icon on the desktop. I assume the cd is loaded as /dev/cdrom but I cannot gain access to the data on the CD. It seems to load the CDs ok - for example, the media players recognise the tracks. How can I get the CD icon on my slack desktop?
That leads into my next question ...
2.) I have no sound :( .... I tried adjusting alsamixer and it recognised my card as: NVidia nForce 2, CHIP: Avance Logic id60, ITEM: CD. I was not exactly sure which setting to adjust in alsamixer, so I just turned them all up to max and unmuted. Then saved with alsactl store. No Sound :(
00.06.0 - multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Audio Controller (MCP) (rec a1).
Sound driver: 3.8.1a-980706
Card config: Nvidia nForce2 at 0xe0001000, irq11
I assume that the blue port on the motherboard is the correct output, although I tried all the other ports also.
Also tried KMix and some of the other KDE apps :( No success.
3.) How do I shutdown? When I logout it closes Xwindows. How do I shutdown from the terminal.
And one more quick question ... how do I reboot into gnome or windowmaker?
Thank you all :) - rather than startx that automatically boots kde? Is there a config file that I need to adjust?
Maybe I can help on a couple of points:
2) You'll need the green output on your sound card.
3) shutdown = poweroff
4) if you did a full install, just type XDM instead of startx, you'll probably get a menu where you can choose WM's
1) Did you mount the cd? Unless you've set up mounting, you have to use the mount command to access the drive.
3) I use 'halt' myself
4) Try xwmconfig from the terminal..
Thanks guys. I think we have solved q 3 & 4.
1. I thought it would automatically mount the CD. I haven't used linux for the past 8 mths, however back with Mandrake 9.0 and RedHat 8.0, I just slipped in a CD and the CD would appear on the desktop. Click on the icon and all the data was right there in the window manager.
2. I'll spend some more time tonight fiddling with that sound problem.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.|