SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I recently upgraded to VLC 2.1.0 from 2.0.8, and ran into a serious problem. I cannot play any of my music! When I checked the Audio output modules options, they were: Automatic, File audio output, Dummy audio output, Audio memory output, and Disabled. I had a WTF moment when I saw this. What happened to the ALSA option? I was also able to specify the ALSA output as Generic, which worked like a charm. What are your experiences with getting your music to play (or not)? And how can I get my music to play?
Thanks for the advice.
P.S. The VLC manual says nothing about the new modules (big surprise!)
Last edited by 1337_powerslacker; 10-01-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Reason: Checked VLC manual after posting.
I ran into the same issue a while ago. I had to explicitly reconfigure the ALSA output module when I upgraded from 2.0 to 2.1.
For some reason VLC had switched the ALSA output to "Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)". I had to change that manually to "<your audio hardware here> Default Audio Device".
I grabbed the sources for vlc, which fortunately still includes 2.0.8, the last version that just worked,from Alien BOB's repository, and building it myself. I have neither the time nor the patience to try and figure out why my audio is not working. To me, this is proof that newer is not necessarily better.
Thanks to all who offered advice, especially Alien BOB.
P.S. Since the source failed to build, I looked in my archives and found an old copy of VLC, version 2.0.5, and am now enjoying my music again.
Last edited by 1337_powerslacker; 10-01-2013 at 04:06 PM.