SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I've been running Slackware 14 for a couple months now. I am new to Linux, otherwise.
I've been running KDE as root (I know, i'm a bad boy), but i want to switch over to a user account for security purposes. Also so that I can use Google Chrome.
I made a new user account, equipped it with a password, and logged in. Everything seemed fine at a cursory glance. However, firefox was missing. If I clicked on the firefox logo titled 'Web Browser', nothing happened. If I clicked on the script, it said the executable was missing. If I tried to run it from Konsole, it didn't work.
So I tried using Konqueror, it worked to some degree. However, it loaded pages extremely slowly. It was also unable to download anything. I tried getting the official Google Chrome RPM through Konqueror, but it wouldn't download at all.
When I use KDE as root, everything works normally.