LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #181
unclejed613
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 322

Rep: Reputation: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodanny View Post
I really like your site Gene, I've been converting my friends from windows to linux with Ubuntu for a while now, your page will help me lure them into slackware. muhaha (evil laugh)

anyway, on your tutorial, in "getting ready", you say:



maybe they changed it since you were last there, but if you go to store.slackware.com again, you'll see a donate button on the left hand side, and you can choose how much you want to donate (as little as a dollar I think). Hope this helps you :]

interesting thing to note: i work for a large corporation, and Ubuntu is on our company's "do not use" list because of possible legal ramifications of using something that's not completely GPL licensed. Slackware, on the other hand we CAN use, because it is completely GPL licensed.
 
Old 02-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #182
T3slider
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-14.1
Posts: 2,247

Rep: Reputation: 625Reputation: 625Reputation: 625Reputation: 625Reputation: 625Reputation: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejed613 View Post
interesting thing to note: i work for a large corporation, and Ubuntu is on our company's "do not use" list because of possible legal ramifications of using something that's not completely GPL licensed. Slackware, on the other hand we CAN use, because it is completely GPL licensed.
I'd hate to get Slackware blacklisted but it does contain software that is not free (and certainly software that is not strictly GPL licensed though I'm assuming other free licenses like the Apache license are permitted...). Java (JRE) (and JDK in extra/), xv and (maybe?) some wireless drivers are not free. Pine used to be included but Slackware now uses Alpine under the Apache license so that should be fine. You would at least have to remove jre and xv (and maybe more) to produce a free Slackware, and you'd have to remove a lot more if you want a GPL-only Slackware (though I don't think your system would be very feature-complete using exclusively GPL-licensed software).
 
Old 02-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #183
retrodanny
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Location: México
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 38

Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handband View Post
It works all right, although it's a little overbuilt. I'm trying Salix right now... it's a really cool distro. It's based on Slackware, but perhaps a little less intimidating for newcomers.
I'll look into it.. I ask about the package manager because its kind of hard to find certain packages in slackware.. I spent half an hour looking for a slackbuild for cplay.. couldn't find it.. in debian (ubuntu) it's just apt-get install cplay.
 
Old 02-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #184
PDock
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Distribution: Slack10 & curr. tried numerous
Posts: 189

Rep: Reputation: 36
A basic Slackware setup

Hi again Gene

Once again I found something new about Pat's scripts and/or Slackware and wanted to pass it along.

BackStory: I have been hitting my head against a wall getting my pvr 350 capture card to work. Using various build scripts for non USofA residents I thought I was getting close but alas things were/are still fubar. This prompted me to consider: Was KDE getting in the way? So I decided to reinvent myself.

Discovery: As root I preformed an adduser and created a new me. I then logged in as newme. But I could not remember what .thisfile to create in my new home directory to change my window manager to xfce and not use the system default of KDE. After reading pkgtool script and following it thru other scripts I found:

BEFORE issuing a startx command [which would default to systems KDE] it is possible for a user to issue xwmconfig. It is included in a users path and thus a full path name is not required. This brings up the same ncurses window where the system default window manager is selected. I chose xfce, exited, issued startx and surprise the appropriate .thisfile had been created and newme was in an xfce window environment.

So on the title referenced page of your great writeup consider advising an new user with two additional commands [root:adduser & newme:xwmconfig] they can explore the drastically different window managers.

ASIDE: Later in the same page you discuss Cleaning out the Junk. I have problems with the use of tmpfs to host/mount /tmp. UPTIME or whatever is a status symbol for geeks in training and if they don't shutdown their box regularly files in /tmp might grow to exceed their ram/swap space. Would rather use rc.local to purge /tmp on startup. Hopefully someone reading this can give you a good bash line/script to use.

Thoughts and observations

ppd

PS xfce did not solve my problems.
 
Old 02-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #185
jamesf
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware 12 and higher
Posts: 218

Rep: Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDock View Post
BEFORE issuing a startx command [which would default to systems KDE] it is possible for a user to issue xwmconfig. It is included in a users path and thus a full path name is not required. This brings up the same ncurses window where the system default window manager is selected. I chose xfce, exited, issued startx and surprise the appropriate .thisfile had been created and newme was in an xfce window environment.

So on the title referenced page of your great writeup consider advising an new user with two additional commands [root:adduser & newme:xwmconfig] they can explore the drastically different window managers.
Another way to do that (if you boot into runlevel 3) is to append the appropriate xinitrc.???? to the startx command. So, either boot to runlevel 3 or 'telinit 3' as root, and issue the command (not as root):
Code:
james@machine$ startx /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.xfce
to try out xfce no matter what your xwmconfig setting is. There are other xinitrc.???? files in that directory.

Of course those booting to kdm will know about the button that lets you select your WM/DE upon login.

Quote:
ASIDE: Later in the same page you discuss Cleaning out the Junk. I have problems with the use of tmpfs to host/mount /tmp. UPTIME or whatever is a status symbol for geeks in training and if they don't shutdown their box regularly files in /tmp might grow to exceed their ram/swap space. Would rather use rc.local to purge /tmp on startup. Hopefully someone reading this can give you a good bash line/script to use.
I've seen the 'when to clean' argument before. At least for me, some temp files used by the system are created during boot and deleting them might not be a good idea. Perhaps doing it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local_shutdown? Here's an 'ls -lrt /tmp'. I booted at 17:50-ish.
Code:
james@machine$ ls -lrt /tmp
...
drwx------ 2 root     root      4096 Feb 14 17:50 kde-root/
drwx------ 2 james    users     4096 Feb 14 17:50 ssh-XFSbjbKi1701/
-rw-r--r-- 1 james    users        6 Feb 14 17:50 blueman-applet-1000
I figure that the kde-root directory is because I boot to kdm in runlevel 4.

Hope this helps. ;v)
 
Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #186
trillobyte
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware, FreeBSD, Trisquel
Posts: 105
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDock View Post

ASIDE: Later in the same page you discuss Cleaning out the Junk. I have problems with the use of tmpfs to host/mount /tmp. UPTIME or whatever is a status symbol for geeks in training and if they don't shutdown their box regularly files in /tmp might grow to exceed their ram/swap space. Would rather use rc.local to purge /tmp on startup. Hopefully someone reading this can give you a good bash line/script to use.
I totally agree with what PDock states about exceeding the /tmp space. I attempted to build AlienBob's vlc program and while compiling packages, /tmp ran out of space. I had to unmount tmpfs from /tmp in order to build the software.
 
Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #187
catkin
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Tamil Nadu, India
Distribution: Servers: Debian Squeeze and Wheezy. Desktop: Slackware64 14.0. Netbook: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 8,533
Blog Entries: 28

Rep: Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDock View Post
Would rather use rc.local to purge /tmp on startup. Hopefully someone reading this can give you a good bash line/script to use.
rc.local runs very late in the boot process after many things have been started and have started using /tmp. The safest times to clean /tmp are either late during shutdown or early during boot.
 
Old 03-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #188
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: Slackware®
Posts: 11,102
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1401Reputation: 1401Reputation: 1401Reputation: 1401Reputation: 1401Reputation: 1401Reputation: 1401Reputation: 1401Reputation: 1401Reputation: 1401
Hi,

Gene, would you update the url for the tutorials in the original post and note the reason for the update.

This is the one I'm using now http://genek.net/LinuxAdventures/sysadmin
 
Old 03-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #189
2handband
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Alexandria, Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 809

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
Hi,

Gene, would you update the url for the tutorials in the original post and note the reason for the update.

This is the one I'm using now http://genek.net/LinuxAdventures/sysadmin
Sorry Gary; I should have got in here and posted it sooner. I'm busier than a one-legged man in an XXX-kicking contest...

The Slackware tutorials are presently available at the URL onebuck posted above. Adventures in Linux is undergoing a bit of an overhaul right now, with a new theme of "Switching from Windows to Linux". I've come to the conclusion that most beginners will probably not be willing to undergo Slackware's learning curve, and am using a different distro (and one that I like a lot) for the introductory lessons. The Slackware tutorials will have their very own space on the site by this time tomorrow. I'll update the original post at that time.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
-have read stickies and tutorials no no avail- configuring nvidia 8800gt cbruffin Linux - Newbie 20 03-10-2010 07:46 AM
Looking for GOOD tutorials on Slack 12.1 that would be nice for a newbie tribal_kid Linux - Newbie 2 08-15-2008 02:38 AM
suggestions for slack dns tutorials fazz Slackware - Installation 0 06-27-2004 05:10 AM
Configuring dail-up on slack the_rydster Linux - Newbie 1 02-16-2004 09:59 AM
Help configuring ALSA in Slack 9.1 dazzlehank Slackware 1 01-12-2004 04:22 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration