I've just uploaded a new version of src2pkg. This new version has been a long time in the works and contains many changes -so many that I've started including a new 'CHANGES' file which gives an overview of the most important and visible changes. Go here to see the CHANGES
This version is fully compatible with Slackware-12.1 and makes it easier to upgrade your src2pkg version in the future.
1. If you already have an earlier version of src2pkg installed, you should remove it first. Then download the latest version from here:
2. Install the 'noarch' package using installpkg.
3. Then, open a terminal and run the command 'src2pkg --setup' as user root. This new version is designed so that you shouldn't always have to re-run this command in the future when updating to a later src2pkg version.
Some Highlights from the CHANGES file:
* Added support for packaging perl CPAN modules
* New routines have been added that make it very simple to include extra files in your packages -for instance configuration files which install under /etc -including rc.* files and xintrc.* files. Simply placing these in the same directory with the sources causes them to be included in the package -and src2pkg even writes the necessary handling routines into the doinst.sh file so that these files are properly handled on installation of the package.
* Improved support for 64bit systems
* Added support for use of personal per-user configuration files in ~/.src2pkg.conf
* Added support for creating md5 checksums of finished packages
* Support has been added for *drag-n-drop* package building! Before you laugh, this is really quite useful as it prevents mistakes when typing in long file names. The default setup causes src2pkg to write a script for you when a source archive is dropped on the desktop icon. Dropping the resulting *.src2pkg script on the icon then builds the package. This utility can easily be configured to work differently, if you like. See the example src2pkg-dnd script in the 'examples' subdirectory of the src2pkg documentation for details of usage.
For detailed information on all the changes, there are about 300 lines describing the changes for the current version in the ChangeLog
While most of these are small changes and this version has been well-tested on my systems, it is still possible that it could have outstanding bugs. Please promptly report any problems you have -this version is a candidate for release as a stable version(2.0), as soon as it has been thouroughly tested and any bugs fixed.
Announcement - src2pkg WIKI
src2pkg now has a WIKI located here: src2pkg WIKI
A big thanks to LQ members 'piete' and 'lufbery' for getting the ball rolling on this project. piete is hosting the pages on his server at home and lufbery has been instrumental in getting the pages filled in. It is still a work in progress, but already contains a huge amount of documentation on how to get the most out of src2pkg.
Thanks to anyone else who made suggestions or reported problems with the last version -actually I only remember one real bug report since the last version -thanks to 'troynane' for reporting a problem where src2pkg was exporting both CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS which caused problems with packages which compile and include libltdl.