LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   New Slackware 14 backward compatibility (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/new-slackware-14-backward-compatibility-4175428624/)

vdemuth 09-23-2012 06:24 AM

New Slackware 14 backward compatibility
 
Having a few issues with programs that ran perfectly well in 13.37, but now fail miserably in 14. Just wondering what testing goes into Slackware, (and any other distro for that matter) to ensure that compatibility with existing programs is maintained.

I suppose it might help to understand what environment Patrick uses when he produces the distro. Presumably he has absolutely a bare bones system with nothing from any extraneous source.

Anyway, specifically talking on this occasion at least about XBMC which just doesn't run anymore, nor rebuild, failing with libraries missing.And before I get shot down in flames, yes I know it's not one of the stock packages.

Brings me to another question as well I suppose. How long does it take Slackbuilds/Sbopkg et al to catch up with the moving target?

Didier Spaier 09-23-2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdemuth (Post 4787024)
Brings me to another question as well I suppose. How long does it take Slackbuilds/Sbopkg et al to catch up with the moving target?

AFAIK it takes as long as the time needed by volunteers to update the SlackBuilds. BTW I guess that doing that job yourself and propose a patch or an updated SlackBuild to the maintainer or to the slackbuilds.org mailing list would be very welcome ;)

foobarz 09-23-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdemuth (Post 4787024)
Anyway, specifically talking on this occasion at least about XBMC which just doesn't run anymore, nor rebuild, failing with libraries missing.And before I get shot down in flames, yes I know it's not one of the stock packages.

Can you provide the error messages you get when trying to run and when trying to rebuild the program. I am curious really to see what libraries or functions are missing. I have a guess, but want to see your errors.

vdemuth 09-23-2012 08:17 AM

Hi foobarz,

failed to run with a missing /usr/lib64/libcdio.so.7. and /libpython2.6.so.1 Tried to rebuild using the existing slackbuild and fails with the following error:
Code:

checking for main in -lGL... no
configure: error: Could not find a required library. Please see the README for your platform.

Anyway, got it running again by creating a simlink to libpython2.7.so.1 and re-installing libcdio.so.7 from 13.37 so OK for now.

Have to say, from just my own observations, almost every major upgrade seems to have had similar problems around python. I appreciate it isn't the fault of any of the team at Slackware, but come on, this is the 21st century and people expect more and better without breakages when moving to the latest software (Apples iOS6 does enough of that to):)

Didier Spaier 09-23-2012 08:40 AM

So you have basically three choices:
(1) Stay with Slackware 13.37.
(2) Accept that several not coordinated teams are developing applications and libraries, which sometimes can cause problems that aren't solved at time or release.
(3) Request that a new Slackware wait to be released until all applications provided by third parties be available.

Good luck if you choose (3).

foobarz 09-23-2012 09:07 AM

If I understand the build error, it wants libGL. That library is provided in the "mesa" package for at least a software OpenGL implementation. If you install nvidia or amd binary driver then probably your mesa libGL is replaced with a hardware accelerated libGL. Failing to build because of libGL isn't what I was guessing. Well, good luck with it, but really, you should be able to use libGL normally, so that is a strange reason for the build to fail.

Oh, I can add one more thing from my experience... in the past when I have installed the nvidia binary: I upgrade like this:

./nvidia*.run-old --uninstall
./nvidia*.run-new --opengl-headers

First uninstall old binary driver, then reinstall, but give that headers option (seen with -A option for advanced options).

Maybe, just maybe that makes a difference for building software that uses the libGL library for nvidia users. Keep it in mind.

vdemuth 09-23-2012 12:11 PM

OK,

Getting a bit further. Re-installed the stock mesa even though that's all I'm using anyway, and got a bit further in the build. Now errors on
Code:

checking for TAGLIB... no
configure: error: Could not find a required library.

which is strange as taglib is part of the standard installation and is available as can be seen here [
Quote:

installed ] - taglib-1.7.2-x86_64-1
[ installed ] - taglib-extras-1.0.1-x86_64-1
Any ideas why this might be happening?

foobarz 09-23-2012 01:11 PM

I was able to build xbmc from slackbuilds.org on rc5. Just installed the listed dependencies first, and had no problems with libraries.

escaflown 09-23-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foobarz (Post 4787273)
I was able to build xbmc from slackbuilds.org on rc5. Just installed the listed dependencies first, and had no problems with libraries.

I'm running the git version of xbmc with slackware rc5. no issue to build xbmc from git sources.

mrascii 09-23-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didier Spaier (Post 4787096)
So you have basically three choices:
(1) Stay with Slackware 13.37.
(2) Accept that several not coordinated teams are developing applications and libraries, which sometimes can cause problems that aren't solved at time or release.
(3) Request that a new Slackware wait to be released until all applications provided by third parties be available.

Good luck if you choose (3).

LOL, This image of an angry mob with pitchforks and torches comes to mind. The natives are already getting restless waiting. :)

DNA
AKA mrascii


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.