LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   New MariaDB as replacement for Mysql (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/new-mariadb-as-replacement-for-mysql-4175455743/)

vdemuth 03-27-2013 01:49 AM

New MariaDB as replacement for Mysql
 
Just upgraded to the latest and note the change log that says the MariaDB is a drop in replacement for Mysql.

What it doesn't say is when doing the upgrade, does Mysql get automatically removed in favour of MariaDB, or do I need to manually remove Mysql after upgrading.

So, does upgrading using slackpkg automatically just replace Mysql or not. Only asking as obviously the commands are the same from what I read, but pkgtool still shows Mysql as an installed pkg, and a bit concerned that if I remove Mysql, it will in fact remove MariaDB which uses the same directory structure etc.

markush 03-27-2013 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdemuth (Post 4919690)
Just upgraded to the latest and note the change log that says the MariaDB is a drop in replacement for Mysql.

What it doesn't say is when doing the upgrade, does Mysql get automatically removed in favour of MariaDB, or do I need to manually remove Mysql after upgrading.

So, does upgrading using slackpkg automatically just replace Mysql or not. Only asking as obviously the commands are the same from what I read, but pkgtool still shows Mysql as an installed pkg, and a bit concerned that if I remove Mysql, it will in fact remove MariaDB which uses the same directory structure etc.

Hi,

When you use slackpkg it will be removed automatically. Look at the changelogs
Code:

...
ap/mariadb-5.5.30-x86_64-1.txz: Added.
ap/mysql-5.5.29-x86_64-1.txz: Removed.
...

this is what slackpkg does. When you execute "slackpkg install-new" it adds mariadb and when you execute "slackpkg clean-system" it removes mysql. When you do it manually you will have to remove mysql with pkgtool or with removepkg.

BTW, you will not notice much of the change, the commands when using mysql remain the same.

Markus

chrisretusn 03-27-2013 04:00 AM

To put it another way, if you run slackpkg properly;

slackpkg install-new
slackpkg upgrade-all
slackpkg clean-system

Then mysql will be removed.

vdemuth 03-27-2013 11:01 AM

Yeah, get that. But: Slackpkg install-new followed by slackpkg upgrade-all does the new installing and upgrading as expected. Issuing slackpkg clean-system, or indeed a manual removepkg, what happens to those files that appear with the same name and location in both packages. For instance, removeing Mysql will remove /usr/libexec/mysqld which appears in both packages with the same name and location along with many others.
Just looking for a definitive answer really, but willing to give it a shot. After all, the worst it can do is screw up my installation:)

Mike_M 03-27-2013 11:23 AM

This is from the removepkg man page:

Quote:

When deleting files, removepkg will analyze the contents of the other packages installed on your system, and will only
delete the files that are unique to the package being removed. Similarly, the installation scripts for all the other
packages will be considered when deciding whether or not to delete symbolic links from the package.

markush 03-27-2013 11:34 AM

removepkg checks all dependencies. A file is deleted if it only belongs to the package which is removed. That's what removepkg says when it is executed. I suppose that slackpkg also uses removepkg when you run "clean-system".

Markus

vdemuth 03-30-2013 01:49 AM

Well, done as suggested and it seems that MariaDB may not be a drop in replacement after all. Had to revert to mysql in oder for kmail to keep working. It seems that using Mariadb prevents Akonadi from running due to a missing database driver, namely QMYSQL.
Am happy to go back to MariaDB if anyone has a solution.

markush 03-30-2013 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdemuth (Post 4921455)
Well, done as suggested and it seems that MariaDB may not be a drop in replacement after all. Had to revert to mysql in oder for kmail to keep working. It seems that using Mariadb prevents Akonadi from running due to a missing database driver, namely QMYSQL.
Am happy to go back to MariaDB if anyone has a solution.

Did you perform a complete upgrade of the packages in the changelogs from March 23? there was also l/akonadi upgraded.
Probably you should rebuild the packages which don't run properly.

Markus

jtsn 03-30-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markush (Post 4919972)
removepkg checks all dependencies. A file is deleted if it only belongs to the package which is removed.

That is BTW an unique and powerful feature, which AFAIK is only available in Slackware. And it only works, because there is no dependency tree to obey.

vdemuth 03-30-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markush (Post 4921489)
Did you perform a complete upgrade of the packages in the changelogs from March 23? there was also l/akonadi upgraded.
Probably you should rebuild the packages which don't run properly.

Markus

Yep. Been diligently keeping upgraded. Including the 23rd/25th/27th and 28th.

I'll try a reinstall of akonadi first before attempting a rebuild.

vdemuth 03-31-2013 09:05 AM

OK, a re-install of akonadi did the trick. I'll mark this one solved. Thanks to all that offered assistance.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 AM.