I used the 3.7.0 drivers, 2.6.6 kernel, and X 4.4.
I'm using an ASUS A7N8X-X motherboard, which includes the nforce2 chipset.
This has been known to cause problems with ati cards.
So, I set up my kernel for AGPGART as a module, including support (separate module) for the nforce2 chipset.
I included the standard kernel DRI Radeon driver as a module, as a fallback.
(Doesn't have to be used of course, but is nice to have for simple 3d needs.)
I also had to make sure that i was using the kernel's agpgart rather than fglrx's. Hence this entry in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Identifier "Radeon 9000 Pro"
Option "composite_sync" "on"
Option "AGPFastWrite" "on"
Option "AGPMode" "4"
Option "EnablePageFlip" "on"
Option "SWCursor" "off"
Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
# Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
The most important part is UseInternalAGPGART option. That needs to be set to no. The fglrx agpgart seems to be substandard. 0
Lastly, I also had to apply two patches to the source of the fglrx drivers...
There's something funky with the workings of all this. Once I had it configured, fglrx loaded... But I couldn't get 3d after I'd already used fglrx with internal AGPGART . You have to configure it to use the kernel's agpgart (withthe UseInternalAGPGART option shown above). If you load any semblance of fglrx with internal agpgart, you won't get it... So reset your configuration to use the kernel's agpgart, and then you must reboot.
I get roughly 2400 fps with glxgears and this setup. It's nice, and nothing ever complains about a lack of FPS