Originally Posted by bgeddy
Oh dear - sorry to hear that ! Overall I'm not sure what actually fixed this - as is so often the case when things go wrong I was just mucking about with things late into the night and today I thougt "right - I'm going to fix this and be logical about the process". With hindsight I would have been more careful with the update as this was my first time trying slackpkg. I usually make my own update process given the contents of the current Changelog.txt and be very precise about things - especially when kernel or glibc updates are around.
If I can assist in any way I will try - maybe you could post more information. If there is any advice it would be to ensure kernel and kernel modules are updated correctly and lilo updates are correct.
Actually, it was pretty much just that lilo didn't update correctly when I installed. I guess I didn't pay attention to if it succeeded or failed (I was very tired and just wanted to finish it before bed).
I had originally upgraded it from 12.2. In 12.2, I tried upgrading the kernel to 184.108.40.206 just for the fun of it, but for some reason it wouldn't boot. Not from a lack of an initrd (ext2/3/4 were compiled in). The kernel just wouldn't load at all, just sitting there after the lilo prompt at a black screen. So I decided to just jump in and try -current because I never really had before.
When I tried booting after the installation, lilo gave me the two options from the 12.2 setup (Linux, the default, and Linux-new, the 220.127.116.11 kernel). It didn't matter which one I selected (even though the Linux entry should have pointed to /boot/vmlinuz, the same as in -current), it would just sit at the black screen.
So I took your advice, booted from the CD, then chrooted in an re-ran lilo. Everything is just peachy now.