LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   New current kernel 2.6.29.1 on VirtualBox (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/new-current-kernel-2-6-29-1-on-virtualbox-719048/)

bgeddy 04-14-2009 11:47 AM

New current kernel 2.6.29.1 on VirtualBox
 
I've just updated my virtual version of Slackware current which updated the kernel to version 2.6.29.1. I run this in VirtualBox.

It now hangs on boot up when loading the kernel. I have booted using a CD image, chrooted and re-ran lilo to be sure and updated VirtualBox to version 2.2.0 r45846 to try and fix this but no joy.

Prior to this I was running current with the old kernel as I hadn't updated my copy for a little while - version 2.6.28.8 was fine.

Anyone running the new current updates in VirtualBox or any ideas ?

bgeddy 04-15-2009 12:16 PM

In the interest of continuity I should let you know I have fixed this - I'm happy again ! I had to boot using a 12.2 install CD and create a new initrd for the VM and rerun lilo with settings for the generic kernel in place. It then booted and I ran "slackpkg install-new" on the VM which found several packages. I fiddled with the initrd for a while and reran mkinitrd. It now boots with the generic or hugesmp.s kernels. Even my updated version of KDE 4 runs OK which it didn't before ! Happy days :D

Noddegamra 04-15-2009 12:43 PM

Thanks for the update! Just yesterday I installed -current in VirtualBox and was having the same problem.

joutlancpa 04-15-2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgeddy (Post 3509820)
In the interest of continuity I should let you know I have fixed this - I'm happy again ! I had to boot using a 12.2 install CD and create a new initrd for the VM and rerun lilo with settings for the generic kernel in place. It then booted and I ran "slackpkg install-new" on the VM which found several packages. I fiddled with the initrd for a while and reran mkinitrd. It now boots with the generic or hugesmp.s kernels. Even my updated version of KDE 4 runs OK which it didn't before ! Happy days :D

What does slackpkg-install-new do? i.e. what's the purpose? I'm getting ready to reinstall if I can't get my system back up...thanks

bgeddy 04-15-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the update! Just yesterday I installed -current in VirtualBox and was having the same problem.
Oh dear - sorry to hear that ! Overall I'm not sure what actually fixed this - as is so often the case when things go wrong I was just mucking about with things late into the night and today I thougt "right - I'm going to fix this and be logical about the process". With hindsight I would have been more careful with the update as this was my first time trying slackpkg. I usually make my own update process given the contents of the current Changelog.txt and be very precise about things - especially when kernel or glibc updates are around.

If I can assist in any way I will try - maybe you could post more information. If there is any advice it would be to ensure kernel and kernel modules are updated correctly and lilo updates are correct.

Quote:

What does slackpkg-install-new do? i.e. what's the purpose? I'm getting ready to reinstall if I can't get my system back up...thanks
@thezoid - I have seen your thread about generic kernel update problems. I hope you have kept the huge kernel in place as that worked for you. It's all about building the initrd right and updating lilo. It's not hard but to the uninitiated there are hurdles to overcome. I'll follow your thread and help if I can.

Anyway, "slackpkg" is a relatively new addition to Slackware which is a script to update the stock Slackware packages from a mirror amongst other things. Have a look at "man slackpkg" for more information. Traditionally I would tackle this by keeping a copy of the /patches and /current trees and updating from them. Now this is very much easier with the new tool.

Noddegamra 04-15-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgeddy (Post 3510204)
Oh dear - sorry to hear that ! Overall I'm not sure what actually fixed this - as is so often the case when things go wrong I was just mucking about with things late into the night and today I thougt "right - I'm going to fix this and be logical about the process". With hindsight I would have been more careful with the update as this was my first time trying slackpkg. I usually make my own update process given the contents of the current Changelog.txt and be very precise about things - especially when kernel or glibc updates are around.

If I can assist in any way I will try - maybe you could post more information. If there is any advice it would be to ensure kernel and kernel modules are updated correctly and lilo updates are correct.

Actually, it was pretty much just that lilo didn't update correctly when I installed. I guess I didn't pay attention to if it succeeded or failed (I was very tired and just wanted to finish it before bed).

I had originally upgraded it from 12.2. In 12.2, I tried upgrading the kernel to 2.6.29.1 just for the fun of it, but for some reason it wouldn't boot. Not from a lack of an initrd (ext2/3/4 were compiled in). The kernel just wouldn't load at all, just sitting there after the lilo prompt at a black screen. So I decided to just jump in and try -current because I never really had before.

When I tried booting after the installation, lilo gave me the two options from the 12.2 setup (Linux, the default, and Linux-new, the 2.6.29.1 kernel). It didn't matter which one I selected (even though the Linux entry should have pointed to /boot/vmlinuz, the same as in -current), it would just sit at the black screen.

So I took your advice, booted from the CD, then chrooted in an re-ran lilo. Everything is just peachy now. :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.