LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2007, 05:36 AM   #1
hirohitosan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Posts: 28

Rep: Reputation: 15
network instalation


Hello there. I tried many times to install Slack11 from network. I have 2 computers. One has FTP and NFS server installed. I downloaded on this computer the Slack 11.0 installation directory. I want to install Slack11 on the second from network. I prepared 4 floppy disks 1 boot + 2 install + 1 network. Everything goes well but when I try to install from NFS the computer fails to connect (I gave the IP, Netmask Gateway).

Can anyone give me some advices to install Slk through network

Many thanks
 
Old 04-17-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
deadeyes
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Posts: 605

Rep: Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirohitosan
Hello there. I tried many times to install Slack11 from network. I have 2 computers. One has FTP and NFS server installed. I downloaded on this computer the Slack 11.0 installation directory. I want to install Slack11 on the second from network. I prepared 4 floppy disks 1 boot + 2 install + 1 network. Everything goes well but when I try to install from NFS the computer fails to connect (I gave the IP, Netmask Gateway).

Can anyone give me some advices to install Slk through network

Many thanks
Is the NFS service running?
CHeck if your firewall does not block it.
Did you shared the necessary files through NFS?
First try connecting from the host itself to the NFS and see if the files are there.

Also look if the network interface is up and if both computers can ping each other
 
Old 04-18-2007, 05:23 AM   #3
hirohitosan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeyes
Is the NFS service running?
I think so ... in the process table nfsd is running
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeyes
Did you shared the necessary files through NFS?
yes, but I don't know how to check

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeyes
First try connecting from the host itself to the NFS and see if the files are there.
I don't know how to connect to NFS server ... sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeyes
Also look if the network interface is up and if both computers can ping each other
I checked. Both computer can ping each other.

I don't understand why the installation doesn't start and I don't know how to check if the connection is established

Thanks
 
Old 04-18-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
deadeyes
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Posts: 605

Rep: Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirohitosan
I think so ... in the process table nfsd is running

yes, but I don't know how to check


I don't know how to connect to NFS server ... sorry

I checked. Both computer can ping each other.

I don't understand why the installation doesn't start and I don't know how to check if the connection is established

Thanks
you have to mount the nfs drive.

something like:
mount -t nfs //hostname/dirname /mnt/mountpoint

I don't know how to type the location of the NFS server.
You can look in the man page.
 
Old 04-19-2007, 07:23 AM   #5
hirohitosan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
IT WORKS .....

Thanks
 
Old 04-19-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 11,450
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 1505Reputation: 1505Reputation: 1505Reputation: 1505Reputation: 1505Reputation: 1505Reputation: 1505Reputation: 1505Reputation: 1505Reputation: 1505Reputation: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeyes
you have to mount the nfs drive.

something like:
mount -t nfs //hostname/dirname /mnt/mountpoint

I don't know how to type the location of the NFS server.
You can look in the man page.
Hi,


For your example;
Code:
mount -t nfs servername:/hostname/dirname /mnt/mountpoint
From 'man nfs';

Code:
 Here is an example from an /etc/fstab file from an NFS mount.

       server:/usr/local/pub    /pub   nfs    rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
Sure this is the '/etc/fstab' example but note the server:/directory format. If you have problems with mount then check the '/etc/exports' file
 
Old 05-11-2007, 05:25 AM   #7
hirohitosan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
new isntallation question

I succeed to install Slack from a NFS server but now I have another problem. I tried to install to another computer with Automatic IP. On the installation process I'm asked for the IP of the computer where I want to install Slak. To be more specific:
1. NFS real IP address
2. another computer with Automatic IP - where I want to install Slk

What should I reply when I'm asked the IP address of the 2 computer?

thanks
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Instalation of Mandriva via network vladuna Mandriva 4 12-30-2005 05:05 PM
Instalation narcarsiss Linux - Newbie 2 06-08-2005 10:08 AM
XP Instalation over RH mithras Linux - Newbie 2 02-18-2004 07:57 PM
Mplayer Instalation Azain Linux - Newbie 4 06-06-2003 04:16 PM
Instalation help? galyun Linux - Newbie 3 11-04-2002 02:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration