LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2008, 08:52 AM   #61
bobzilla
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Serbia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 195

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Ugly. Neither of those is any good. Sometimes I'm so jealous at other distros with those fancy logos. How come there are no designers using Slack? Only geeks, like me and you.

Geeks can't draw. Face it.
 
Old 09-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #62
indienick
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: London, ON, Canada
Distribution: Arch, Ubuntu, Slackware, OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 1,853

Rep: Reputation: 65
Not going to lie, I'm quite partial to the logo slackhack did:

http://datalink.homelinux.com/slogo/..._logo-barz.png

But I wouldn't use it as the main Slackware logo, however. Definitely something more-than-worthy to be on the Propaganda page. I like it simply for the fact that it looks like a logo that would have been used in the late-'80s, early '90s.

Last edited by indienick; 09-19-2008 at 09:39 AM.
 
Old 09-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #63
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
Ugly. Neither of those is any good. Sometimes I'm so jealous at other distros with those fancy logos. How come there are no designers using Slack? Only geeks, like me and you.

Geeks can't draw. Face it.
But, I can draw, very well in fact, by hand. Maybe I should get a touch drawing pad with a pen. But, I never liked those things, it isn't like drawing on paper.
 
Old 09-19-2008, 10:15 AM   #64
bobzilla
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Serbia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 195

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
But, I can draw, very well in fact, by hand. Maybe I should get a touch drawing pad with a pen. But, I never liked those things, it isn't like drawing on paper.
Probably. You can get some results if you master Inskcape or GIMP drawing. But the best would be either using drawing pad, either scanning & editing (that can be really tedious).

Quote:
Originally Posted by indienick View Post
Not going to lie, I'm quite partial to the logo slackhack did:

http://datalink.homelinux.com/slogo/..._logo-barz.png

But I wouldn't use it as the main Slackware logo, however. Definitely something more-than-worthy to be on the Propaganda page. I like it simply for the fact that it looks like a logo that would have been used in the late-'80s, early '90s.
Nice one. Didn't see it before.

But, it's kind of IBM-ish, isn't it.
 
Old 09-19-2008, 10:28 AM   #65
hitest
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Prince Rupert, B.C., Canada
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD
Posts: 4,240

Rep: Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by indienick View Post
Not going to lie, I'm quite partial to the logo slackhack did:

http://datalink.homelinux.com/slogo/..._logo-barz.png

But I wouldn't use it as the main Slackware logo, however. Definitely something more-than-worthy to be on the Propaganda page. I like it simply for the fact that it looks like a logo that would have been used in the late-'80s, early '90s.
I also like slackhack's logo:-) It does indeed have a retro feel to it:-)
 
Old 09-19-2008, 10:32 AM   #66
slackhack
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Distribution: Arch, Debian, Slack
Posts: 1,016

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by indienick View Post
I like it simply for the fact that it looks like a logo that would have been used in the late-'80s, early '90s.
Oh, come on -- it's timeless!

j/k


viva 80s! long live the 90s!
 
Old 09-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #67
hottdogg
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: aisenodni
Distribution: slackware 64bit ,debian 64bit
Posts: 202

Rep: Reputation: 30
*BUMP*

person1: "Hey check this out the new slackware logo"
person2: "What is slackware? "
person1: "Er...It's a linux distribution. it has a new logo".
person2: " *checking* Did you say slackware? it read like slackwars"
person1: "Really? *checking again* you know what? it _does_ look like slackwars"
person3: "*join and look at the logo* no,no...it's slamwars"
person4: "*just passing by* looks like slamware to me"
person5: "hmmm...slackwats??"
person6: "That's slamwats! not slackware "

slackyjars,slackyjats,slamyjars,slomyjors, slomyjots, slomyjors, slomwors,hey I know it's slockyjors!!

echoing voice: "At least you can read it while doing handstand..."
WTF?!

I don't mind slackware has a new logo as long it's clear and not ambiguous.
-edit-
Anyway, looking at the designer site, the current new slackware logo is type of what's called ambigram. So this is intentional. But I don't like it. Just my opinion.

Last edited by hottdogg; 09-19-2008 at 12:25 PM.
 
Old 09-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #68
GazL
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Posts: 3,475

Rep: Reputation: 1014Reputation: 1014Reputation: 1014Reputation: 1014Reputation: 1014Reputation: 1014Reputation: 1014Reputation: 1014
rofl @ hottdogg.
 
Old 09-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #69
Road_map
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 341

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 31
Another theme:
Logo 3
Logo 4
Logo 5
 
Old 09-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #70
slackb0t
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 146

Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_map View Post
That looks good. Can you make the 's' small (not capital) and repost it. I like how the 'k' has the line as part of it.
 
Old 09-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #71
okos
Member
 
Registered: May 2007
Location: California
Distribution: Slackware/Ubuntu
Posts: 609

Rep: Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hottdogg View Post
*BUMP*
-edit-
Anyway, looking at the designer site, the current new slackware logo is type of what's called ambigram. So this is intentional. But I don't like it. Just my opinion.
I assume all of you are familiar with the pokemon cartoon.

Anyways, before it came to the US is was played in Japan with, from what I heard on news reports, tremendous flash. According to news reports, there was so much flash that kids were having seizures.

Anyways, that designer site about gave me a nervous break down
 
Old 09-20-2008, 07:23 AM   #72
Road_map
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 341

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackb0t View Post
That looks good. Can you make the 's' small (not capital) and repost it. I like how the 'k' has the line as part of it.
Logo2a - small 's'. Again, I'm not an logo designer, my logo it's just an idea.
 
Old 09-20-2008, 07:33 AM   #73
Bruce Hill
HCL Maintainer
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Tupelo, MS
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 6,926

Rep: Reputation: 124Reputation: 124
Has anyone in this thread emailed Pat Volkerding to inquire about the new logo,
and why he decided to replace the old one? Just curious ...
 
Old 09-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #74
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 1,805

Rep: Reputation: 231Reputation: 231Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hill View Post
Has anyone in this thread emailed Pat Volkerding to inquire about the new logo, and why he decided to replace the old one? Just curious ...
Not me. I have a life.

All this crap over the logo... Imagine the sh1tfight when KDE3 is dropped...

Last edited by rkelsen; 09-20-2008 at 08:59 AM.
 
Old 09-20-2008, 09:06 AM   #75
ErV
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: Russia
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 1,202
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 62
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_map View Post
Reminds me dollar sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_map View Post
It looks too agressive to me.
No offense, but it reminds me "prison-like" window bars and (again, no offense) some nazi symbolics (because of spiky contours). Could be good for some kind of video game (as main symbol for "alien invaders race" or something), but not for distribution, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_map View Post
Logo2a - small 's'. Again, I'm not an logo designer, my logo it's just an idea.
Looks very cool (capital S is fine), but I think that "bird-like" shape under "slackware" should be different color, and shouldn't blend with letter "S". It could be above or below word "slackware". It could be either gray, or green (but making it green will probably require using different color for "Slackware". Green shape will instantly remind graphic used for "OK" buttons in some programs, so it could be a good move. Also "shadow" from shape looks strange (not sure if it is good or bad, it kind of brings attention to logo).
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Change Suse Logo to KDE Logo little_penguin Suse/Novell 2 04-05-2005 06:35 PM
if you had your own os what would its logo be? berrance General 16 03-14-2005 07:47 AM
logo boot up unwrittenlaw Linux - Newbie 5 03-07-2005 07:27 AM
nvidia logo abs Slackware 23 08-21-2004 11:09 PM
No logo Mara LQ Suggestions & Feedback 6 06-17-2003 06:04 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration