Inspired by shilo's 'this is how i do it all' thread i decided to contribute a little something back to the slackers community.
My experience with setting up hp scanner 3300C in Slackware 10.
This model of scanner is not supported with the current sane backend and when you use xsane the program will tell you that no scanning device is found. To get it to work you will have to recompile sane-backend:
0) Make sure that sane-backend is not installed and xsane is also not installed. It most likely is if you used default settings to install slackware. To uninstall these packages use 'pkgtool' to uninstall them.
1) Download the sane backend patch from http://sourceforge.net/projects/hp3300backend/
2) Download sane-backend source from
3) Read the INSTALL file from the sane-bakend patch to learn about how to patch up the sane-backend source.
4) Compile sane-backend source and install.
5) Compile and install xsane. ( I choose the latest version, why not?)
If there is any more handholding required, drop me a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
PS: Stick with it, do not give up. WAKE UP! Wake up from the deep slumber of Windozzzzzze.