LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   monitor settings for text-only console (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/monitor-settings-for-text-only-console-4175430921/)

gobo7 10-06-2012 11:42 PM

monitor settings for text-only console
 
i've built an appliance with 13.37. the console will be text only, no X. i've included X11, but only to be used with xvncserver. Lilo is set for vga=normal. somewhere during the boot, the console changes from vga to some other resolution. i'm trying to finalize the config with an old vga monitor and it won't accept the new resolution.

so far i've not been able to find where/what in the boot process is changing the resolution. can someone point me to it?


thanks.

ponce 10-07-2012 12:39 AM

I think you are speaking about the framebuffer console: when you boot, pass this additional parameter to the lilo prompt, after the name of the kernel to boot
Code:

vga=normal
if it solves, set the vga parameter in /etc/lilo.conf (eventually commenting other vga parameters already enabled), and relaunch lilo (needed to update its configuration).

gnashley 10-07-2012 02:16 AM

That's Kernel Mode Setting which changes the resolution. You can de-activate it by adding 'nomodeset' to the kernel boot parameters.

gobo7 10-07-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnashley (Post 4799208)
That's Kernel Mode Setting which changes the resolution. You can de-activate it by adding 'nomodeset' to the kernel boot parameters.

that seems to have done the trick. i plan on compiling a new kernel so i don't have to use huge, but it's been a while. what config options do i need to pay attention to for this?

thanks.

Didier Spaier 10-07-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gobo7 (Post 4799611)
i plan on compiling a new kernel so i don't have to use huge, but it's been a while. what config options do i need to pay attention to for this?

thanks.

Just disable "Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support) (DRM)".

You will find it under Device Drivers => Graphics Support or look for "DRM" in the search tool of make xconfig (Ctrl+F).

gobo7 10-08-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didier Spaier (Post 4799657)
Just disable "Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support) (DRM)".

You will find it under Device Drivers => Graphics Support or look for "DRM" in the search tool of make xconfig (Ctrl+F).

new kernel built and this seems to solve the problem.


thanks.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.