SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Originally posted by KMcD man is working fine for me. I don't see how you could break it through a kernel compile.
If I understood correctly, it has to do with a goofed up udev rule. If that's the case, what I'm trying to find out is if udev really has to be disabled, or if the rule can be fixed, or if I can just update udev.
Somebody said a flakey version of udev.rules was circulating on current for a while, but is supposed to be fixed now. Maybe this crept into my setup somehow.
Nobody else has seen this? There are several reports on the Slack NG. I assumed it was connected with the kernel compile, since man worked for me before. One guy reported it after upgrading from 2.4.x to 2.6.9. I went form 2.6.7 to 2.6.9. OTOH, I did do a swaret --upgrade a few days ago, so maybe it happened then rather than when I installed the new kernel.
he means after each upgrade you should search for all the new config files(usually like xxxx.conf.new). They don't like to overwrite old conf files automatically to prevent breaking some vital configs. Sometimes they have important info for new installs though.
Just noticed that man is broken for me too after upgrading to 2.6.9 so I tried booting up the "old" 184.108.40.206 kernel and man was working again. I didn't change anything before/after upgrading the kernel so it must be kernel related, if not please correct me, I'm still really new to Linux.
EDIT: Disabling udev as suggested solved the problem in 2.6.9.
Originally posted by oxleyk Guess I'll wait until 220.127.116.11
From everything I've read, this particular problem isn't related to the new kernel but rather to a goofed up upgrade of udev. In my case, the problem was easy to fix, and the kernel hasn't give me any trouble at all.