LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   LUKS / LVM2: Root partition unable to boot, initrd errors (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/luks-lvm2-root-partition-unable-to-boot-initrd-errors-923460/)

ADX 01-12-2012 09:53 AM

LUKS / LVM2: Root partition unable to boot, initrd errors
 
For a new minimalist install of Slackware, I've encrypted and assigned for the root partition a 100GB logical volume following the "Combining LUKS and LVM" section of this guide: http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware/README_CRYPT.TXT. So far, boot attempts have yielded kernel panics. Here are the preceding errors:

Code:

/boot/initrd.gz: Loading kernel modules from initrd image: No volumes found
LUKS device: /dev/sda6 is unavailable for unlocking!
mount: mounting /dev/swcrypt/root on /mnt failed: no such file or directory
Error: No /sbin/init found on rootdev (or not mounted)

The /boot partition is separate and encrypted.

GazL 01-12-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADX (Post 4572863)
The /boot partition is separate and encrypted.

/boot (or to be more accurate the copy of the kernel and initrd you're using) must be on a non-encrypted partition.

Panther_ 01-12-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADX (Post 4572863)
For a new minimalist install of Slackware,[cut]

Hi,
install the packages from folder /slackware/n
libgcrypt, libgpg-error
By the way, who put them in a folder /n (network)?

gargamel 01-12-2012 06:31 PM

For creating an "Initial RAM disk", an initrd, I highly recommend Alien Bob's generator script. It's called mkinitrd_command-generator.sh, and you can download it from here: http://connie.slackware.com/~alien/tools/.

gargamel

Alien Bob 01-13-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gargamel (Post 4573177)
For creating an "Initial RAM disk", an initrd, I highly recommend Alien Bob's generator script. It's calle mkinitrd_command-generator.sh, and you can download it from here: http://connie.slackware.com/~alien/tools/.

gargamel

That script is also part of a Slackware full installation. It can be started as
Code:

/usr/share/mkinitrd/mkinitrd_command_generator.sh
Just run it to see what it can do for you. It is purely informative and will not change anything on your computer.

I run the following two commands usually to create an initrd.gz file and update my lilo.conf but you may want to be a bit more careful and first check what it does (also, check if your "generic kernel" is "/boot/vmlinuz-generic-2.6.37.6", if not change the second commandline accordingly):
Code:

$( /usr/share/mkinitrd/mkinitrd_command_generator.sh )

/usr/share/mkinitrd/mkinitrd_command_generator.sh -l /boot/vmlinuz-generic-2.6.37.6 >> /etc/lilo.conf

Eric

ADX 01-13-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GazL (Post 4572906)
/boot (or to be more accurate the copy of the kernel and initrd you're using) must be on a non-encrypted partition.

Oops, that was a typo - it's unencrypted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther_ (Post 4572954)
Hi,
install the packages from folder /slackware/n
libgcrypt, libgpg-error
By the way, who put them in a folder /n (network)?

That did the trick! And it does seem strange that these libraries are under network.


Quote:

Originally Posted by gargamel (Post 4573177)
For creating an "Initial RAM disk", an initrd, I highly recommend Alien Bob's generator script. It's called mkinitrd_command-generator.sh, and you can download it from here: http://connie.slackware.com/~alien/tools/.

gargamel

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alien Bob (Post 4573515)
That script is also part of a Slackware full installation. It can be started as
Code:

/usr/share/mkinitrd/mkinitrd_command_generator.sh
Just run it to see what it can do for you. It is purely informative and will not change anything on your computer.

I run the following two commands usually to create an initrd.gz file and update my lilo.conf but you may want to be a bit more careful and first check what it does (also, check if your "generic kernel" is "/boot/vmlinuz-generic-2.6.37.6", if not change the second commandline accordingly):
Code:

$( /usr/share/mkinitrd/mkinitrd_command_generator.sh )

/usr/share/mkinitrd/mkinitrd_command_generator.sh -l /boot/vmlinuz-generic-2.6.37.6 >> /etc/lilo.conf

Eric

Nice script.

Everything seems to be working now.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.