LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2009, 04:10 AM   #31
justwantin
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware ARM, Salix and Porteus
Posts: 554

Rep: Reputation: 45

I don't think that is the case, you were of doing other things and that's fine but what have you done since then?

It may have been explained earlier in the piece, but tell me anyway. Why did you have to compile a new kernel when sata is already supported in recent versions of slack? I suggested earlier for you to try running liloconfig to see if it would give you a functional lilo without the sata drive included and then if it did try adding the sata drive to it. Also I am wondering if it has anything to do with the sata drive and it's partitioning. Could you disconnect the ide drive and try installing slackware on just the sata drive? Then reconnect the ide drive and see if you can reconfigure lilo to boot that as well as the ditro on the sata drive. I used to add a drive and another install like that back when I did allot of distro hopping.

Just some thoughts but that's the kind of stuff I'd be trying. Lilo in itself is pretty basic when it comes to configuration although I've seen some folks get it very complicated and BTW the -v means verbose, i.e. you get more to stdoout hence more to help figure out the problem -v 1 means less output than -v 3 it has no bearing whatsoever on how lilo works.

If I'm off the mark with my suggestions perhaps you should refresh this thread as to what you have done and where you are at.

One more thing, if you are trying to boot off that sata drive have you marked a partition as bootable when partitioning
 
Old 03-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #32
Rollo69
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Distribution: Slack 12.0
Posts: 190

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwantin View Post
It may have been explained earlier in the piece, but tell me anyway. Why did you have to compile a new kernel when sata is already supported in recent versions of slack? One more thing, if you are trying to boot off that sata drive have you marked a partition as bootable when partitioning
I haven't compiled the kernel for the Slackware 12.0 on the sata drive. Yes, I did mark the sda1 as bootable which is the "/" directory but I'm not trying to boot up the sata drive yet.
Quote:
I suggested earlier for you to try running liloconfig to see if it would give you a functional lilo without the sata drive included and then if it did try adding the sata drive to it.
I did try running liloconfig last week. Not sure how the sata drive would be included in the liloconfig. I can post the liloconfig file I created when I get home. Remember the ..._sata in the lilo.conf is just a reference that I compiled the sata controller in the kernel(2.6.22).
Quote:
Also I am wondering if it has anything to do with the sata drive and it's partitioning. Could you disconnect the ide drive and try installing slackware on just the sata drive? Then reconnect the ide drive and see if you can reconfigure lilo to boot that as well as the ditro on the sata drive.
I did disconnect the ide drive when I installed Slackware 12.0 on the sata drive using ext3 as the file system and sda1 = "/" - bootable directory, sda2 = "swap", sda3 = "/usr" directory, and sda4 = "xtra" for storage and such. I didn't have any install errors or warnings. Then attached the ide drive back and started trying to get the sata drive to show up. Once I was able auto mount the sata drive while booting into Slack 10.2 then lilo issues happened. I wanted to be able to read up on 12 and make changes from 10.2 drive on 12.0 sata drive plus use the other half of the drive for storage.

Thanks justwantin.
 
Old 03-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #33
justwantin
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware ARM, Salix and Porteus
Posts: 554

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
I didn't have any install errors or warnings. Then attached the ide drive back and started trying to get the sata drive to show up.
Ok so you did an install with slack-12 that went without a problem. Did you have any problems booting up after the install but before you connected the ide drive? Were all sata partitions recognised, etc?

If the answer is yes then what did you do to install the ide? After installing it and booting up with slack-12 on the sata drive were you able to mount the partitions on the ide drive from slack-12? If so was this done cli with the command mount or did you use entries in /etc/fstab?

Finally is there another slackware install on the ide drive that you are trying to boot using lilo.conf created with the slack-12 install on the sata drive?

Sorry for sounding pedantic, I'm just trying to be methodical and see where things went off the rails.

Last edited by justwantin; 03-18-2009 at 08:54 PM.
 
Old 03-19-2009, 02:18 AM   #34
Rollo69
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Distribution: Slack 12.0
Posts: 190

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwantin View Post
Ok so you did an install with slack-12 that went without a problem. Did you have any problems booting up after the install but before you connected the ide drive? Were all sata partitions recognised, etc?
I can't recall if I did reboot to slack-12 or not before reconnecting the ide drive.
Quote:
If the answer is yes then what did you do to install the ide? After installing it and booting up with slack-12 on the sata drive were you able to mount the partitions on the ide drive from slack-12? If so was this done cli with the command mount or did you use entries in /etc/fstab?
I didn't do anything to slack-12 in order to mount the ide partitions.
Quote:
Finally is there another slackware install on the ide drive that you are trying to boot using lilo.conf created with the slack-12 install on the sata drive?
Yes, slack-10.2 is on the ide drive and is using lilo.conf to boot from but the lilo.conf wasn't created for slack-10.2 from slack-12, Lilo.conf was created by slack-10.2 .
I'm using slack-10.2 now. I'm in the process of setting up slack-12 on sata the way I would like it to be before I switch from slack-10.2 . I have done nothing more than install slack-12 on the sata drive. I see there are some differences between 10.2 and 12. Files & directories are in different places. That's why I wanted to mount the sata drive from the ide drive.

Thanks for the continued help justwantin.
 
Old 03-19-2009, 03:44 AM   #35
justwantin
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware ARM, Salix and Porteus
Posts: 554

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
I can't recall if I did reboot to slack-12 or not before reconnecting the ide drive.
I take this to mean that you installed 12.0 but after installing it you never bothered to boot up into it to see if everything (or somethings) worked?
Quote:
I didn't do anything to slack-12 in order to mount the ide partitions.
I take this to mean that all you did after installing slack 12 and shutting down the computer was plug in an ide cable, turn the computer on and let the machine boot back up off the ide drive.

That is, you are now running 10.2 and booting with lilo configured on the MBR of the ide drive. If this is, than how are you setting up 12.0. Are you simply accessing the sata drive as so many partitions mounted as directories in 10.2?

There are brighter sparks than me on this list but IMHO there is allot of water under the bridge between 10.2 and 12.0. What precisely I can't say without going back and looking, but "Files and directories in different places" won't be the only difference and you may end up breaking your 12.0 install before you even know if it was working correctly if you haven't already.

Why didn't you boot into 12.0 and then bring over what you needed from 10.2 or alternatively once you are up in 12.0, add a stanza in lilo.conf for your 10.2 on the ide drive, run lilo so that you have the option of booting into either?

My way of thinking would be work off the newer install/hardware to access the older stuff.

Last edited by justwantin; 03-19-2009 at 03:47 AM.
 
Old 03-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #36
Rollo69
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Distribution: Slack 12.0
Posts: 190

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwantin View Post
I take this to mean that you installed 12.0 but after installing it you never bothered to boot up into it to see if everything (or somethings) worked?

I take this to mean that all you did after installing slack 12 and shutting down the computer was plug in an ide cable, turn the computer on and let the machine boot back up off the ide drive.
Yes.I believe this to be true if my memory is correct.
Quote:
That is, you are now running 10.2 and booting with lilo configured on the MBR of the ide drive. If this is, than how are you setting up 12.0. Are you simply accessing the sata drive as so many partitions mounted as directories in 10.2?
You say that as if it's a bad thing to do. I don't know were anything is to configure or adjust the -----.conf file(s) when they need to be adjusted. And from my experience they will need to be adjusted.
Quote:
There are brighter sparks than me on this list but IMHO there is allot of water under the bridge between 10.2 and 12.0. What precisely I can't say without going back and looking, but "Files and directories in different places" won't be the only difference and you may end up breaking your 12.0 install before you even know if it was working correctly if you haven't already.
How can I break it if I've done nothing else to it in order to break it??
Quote:
Why didn't you boot into 12.0 and then bring over what you needed from 10.2 or alternatively once you are up in 12.0, add a stanza in lilo.conf for your 10.2 on the ide drive, run lilo so that you have the option of booting into either?
I got the new sata drive and needed to check to make sure it worked (ebay) and I've been wanting to try out the slack-12 that I've had on dvd here for a while but didn't have an extra drive. I didn't realize there would be that much difference in the versions, at least not enough to change the structure (file locations/ directories and such). I expected new apps to get the OS more current.
Quote:
My way of thinking would be work off the newer install/hardware to access the older stuff.
I've had problems before and figured it would be easier for me to work from 10.2. When one ends up needing help for new install of slack 12 and can't get connected to the internet, or usb won't mount, etc, etc, then it makes if a lot harder to give the info needed to receive help. Like you said the brighter sparks than me can tell by looking at certain syntax/errors what is happening and how to fix the problem.
I do appreciate your help justwantin but this has kind of gotten off topic.

Last edited by Rollo69; 03-19-2009 at 11:25 AM.
 
Old 03-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #37
justwantin
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware ARM, Salix and Porteus
Posts: 554

Rep: Reputation: 45
I'm sorry if you think I have taken your thread off topic.

I was trying to figure out what you have been trying to do. Your opening post did not provide much more than that you had put in a sata drive and that you were getting errors when you ran lilo using a lilo.conf which has stanza with a sata label but points to an ide drive.

You say you want to mount the sata at boot but that is not a lilo issue unless you want to boot from the sata drive. It is an /etc/fstab issue.

You did not originally say anything about having installed slack-12 on the sata drive but that you don't remember ever having booted into 12.0 on the sata after the install to see if it worked, but that you instead reinstalled the ide drive and then began to setup 12.0 from your 10.2 install. I wouldn't know any of that which might have been helpful if I hadn't asked the questions. IMHO the information you initially supplied did not provide a complete picture of what the problem might be.
Quote:
My main concern is can I reboot with this lilo issue??
I don't know, they were warnings, did you try? Even if there was a failure at boot you could always use the 10.2 install disk to boot the 10.2 install, or the 12.0 install disk (now that I know it has been installed on the sata drive) to boot the 12.0 install.
Quote:
Is it safe to say that you guys can't help me with this?
No it wasn't safe to say that because perhaps someone might be willing to if they had an idea of exactly what the problem might be although this thread did go off on a tangent discussing lilo and not your problem and you also dropped out of the thread for a couple days.

I have added/removed drives and ran multiple instances/versions many times, some crash and burn some successfully. At the risk of going off topic again I'll offer the following based on what I'd do but with no particular reason why other than that it would seem sensible to me based on my past experience.

If I were you I'd try to reboot. If you can't then boot off one of your install disks. Also I would have booted into a new install after installing it to see if it worked and then I would have added the 10.2 install to the lilo.conf on 12.0, and run lilo so I had the option of booting either install. If I had some compelling reason to set up 12.0 from 10.2 (as you are doing) without ever having booted from it then I'd mount the sata partitions as directories using /etc/fstab, However that wouldn't make sense to me since I wouldn't want to spend allot of time "setting up" something I have never booted nor do I know if indeed it is bootable.

Last edited by justwantin; 03-19-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: tyop
 
Old 03-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #38
Rollo69
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Distribution: Slack 12.0
Posts: 190

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwantin View Post
I was trying to figure out what you have been trying to do. Your opening post did not provide much more than that you had put in a sata drive and that you were getting errors when you ran lilo using a lilo.conf which has stanza with a sata label but points to an ide drive.
I finally got the sata drive to mount through other post (sata drive link in 1st post) and wanted to boot first with the bzImage that has my sata controller built in. Went to change lilo so this would take place and then lilo error happened.
Quote:
You did not originally say anything about having installed slack-12 on the sata drive but that you don't remember ever having booted into 12.0 on the sata after the install to see if it worked, but that you instead reinstalled the ide drive and then began to setup 12.0 from your 10.2 install. I wouldn't know any of that which might have been helpful if I hadn't asked the questions. IMHO the information you initially supplied did not provide a complete picture of what the problem might be.
I made reference to it with the link I provided in the first post sata drivewhich says I installed 12 on the sata but probably should've mentioned it here as well... sorry.
Quote:
I don't know, they were warnings, did you try? Even if there was a failure at boot you could always use the 10.2 install disk to boot the 10.2 install, or the 12.0 install disk (now that I know it has been installed on the sata drive) to boot the 12.0 install.
Yes I did have a problem and had to reboot and 10.2 boots up fine.
Quote:
No it wasn't safe to say that because perhaps someone might be willing to if they had an idea of exactly what the problem might be although this thread did go off on a tangent discussing lilo and not your problem and you also dropped out of the thread for a couple days.
That was my way of trying to get back on topic and get away from the in depth discussion.
Quote:
Also I would have booted into a new install after installing it to see if it worked and then I would have added the 10.2 install to the lilo.conf on 12.0, and run lilo so I had the option of booting either install. If I had some compelling reason to set up 12.0 from 10.2 (as you are doing) without ever having booted from it then I'd mount the sata partitions as directories using /etc/fstab, However that wouldn't make sense to me since I wouldn't want to spend allot of time "setting up" something I have never booted nor do I know if indeed it is bootable.
I will try booting to the slack-12 tomorrow to see how that goes. Where is lilo.conf at on 12?? or the /etc directory??
I will give your advise a go and see if she breaks or stalls out.

Thanks justwantin for sticking around to help out..!!!
 
Old 03-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #39
Rollo69
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Distribution: Slack 12.0
Posts: 190

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Well justwantin I tried booting to the sata drive with the ide drive unplugged and it didn't boot. I had to use the slak-12 disc to boot up. I meant to post to you Saturday but I worked this weekend and didn't remember. I guess this means I'll have to copy the system.map, bzImage, and .config files of the disc and put them into the /boot and /home/(user) directories, correct?? Probably need to put a copy of my xorg.conf in the correct directory as well. It's been a while since I installed slack 10.2 .

Any info/pointers on this would be grateful.

It did start up xfce with startx command. Some differences in 12 vs. of xfce than what I use now.

Thanks

Last edited by Rollo69; 03-23-2009 at 07:33 PM.
 
Old 03-24-2009, 12:07 AM   #40
justwantin
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware ARM, Salix and Porteus
Posts: 554

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
I tried booting to the sata drive with the ide drive unplugged and it didn't boot.
Quote:
It did start up xfce with startx command.
If you could not boot the 12.0 installed on the sata drive then how were you able to get the xfce desktop up and working using startx?
 
Old 03-24-2009, 03:06 AM   #41
Rollo69
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Distribution: Slack 12.0
Posts: 190

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
I had to use the slak-12 disc to boot up.
Should I go ahead with the coping of the files I mentioned??
 
Old 03-24-2009, 05:01 AM   #42
justwantin
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware ARM, Salix and Porteus
Posts: 554

Rep: Reputation: 45
You said it didn't boot but then you said you ran startx and got the xfce desktop. I don't understand. You can not run startx and get an xfce desktop unless your system did boot up. If you got xfce then you had an xsession so your /etc/X11/xorg.conf is good enough for now.Why copy in another one? If you have a terminal to run startx which starts an xsession and goes into xfce then you must have a working kernel to do all this so you don't need to copy a system map, bzimage or anything since it is all obviously working. Also, I haven't got the foggiest idea what you mean when you talk about copying over
Quote:
.config files of the disc and put them into the /boot and /home/(user)

Last edited by justwantin; 03-24-2009 at 05:05 AM.
 
Old 03-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #43
Rollo69
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Distribution: Slack 12.0
Posts: 190

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwantin View Post
You said it didn't boot but then you said you ran startx and got the xfce desktop. I don't understand. You can not run startx and get an xfce desktop unless your system did boot up.
I tried to boot from the sata but some error came up so I put the slak-12 disc in and booted up w/ disc using something like "(disc prompt)boot: (worte this -->)hugesmp.s root=/dev/sda noinitrd ro". It gives you a general command to boot from and I gave it something similar to what I have quoted.
Quote:
If you got xfce then you had an xsession so your /etc/X11/xorg.conf is good enough for now.Why copy in another one? If you have a terminal to run startx which starts an xsession and goes into xfce then you must have a working kernel to do all this so you don't need to copy a system map, bzimage or anything since it is all obviously working. Also, I haven't got the foggiest idea what you mean when you talk about copying over
You just answered what I was asking in your post, thank you.

If everything works using the slack-12 disc to boot with then does that point to my lilo.conf file not working correctly ?? Or is it something else causing this ??

I will try to boot up the sata drive while ide is unplugged to get the error that I was prompted with before. I should've wrote it down the first time, sorry.
 
Old 03-24-2009, 09:28 PM   #44
justwantin
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware ARM, Salix and Porteus
Posts: 554

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
If everything works using the slack-12 disc to boot with then does that point to my lilo.conf file not working correctly ?? Or is it something else causing this ??
Boot off the install disk and then once logged into a terminal as root would run liloconfig. This will give you the same ncurses utility you saw during the install. Let it do a simple install to mbr. It will write you a new /etc/lilo.conf which you may later edit to add a stanza for your ide drive/install but first see if liloconfig will give you something you can boot with. For now make sure vmlinuz is pointing to the huge kernel as mine is below:
Quote:
rick@rick:~$ ls -l /boot/vmlinuz
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 2009-02-18 08:21 /boot/vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-huge-smp-2.6.27.7-smp
If you boot and there are errors note what they are so you can post them here. Write it down if you can't remember what the error message was. Just saying "it didn't boot" doesn't provide enough information for anyone to offer help/advice on.
 
Old 03-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #45
Rollo69
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Distribution: Slack 12.0
Posts: 190

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
I'll do that when I get home and I should respond back to you in about 2 hours from now.

Thanks for the help..!!
 
  


Reply

Tags
lilo


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
adding a new hard drive Kanly6486 Linux - Newbie 1 10-23-2006 04:38 AM
Adding in a second hard drive Transition Slackware 3 10-25-2005 05:57 PM
hard drive adding with lilo firestomper41 Mandriva 12 05-24-2004 04:19 PM
adding a hard drive Serena Linux - General 2 07-19-2003 05:39 PM
Adding Second Hard Drive Micro Linux - General 3 01-26-2003 09:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration