so you think you know how lilo works?
fyi - I have searched the forum on this variation of dual boot woes with no luck....
I have been unsuccessful in tracking down the solution to my dual boot problems. I have an IBM(NTFS) drive with a booting win2k install on it (old server). I have a WD(EXT3) drive completely devoted to slack 8.1 (new server). I have reasons for wanting win2k to hang around; so, I'm trying to get them to play nice together. Here are my actions so far in the land of linux:
- partitioned the WD drive into separate /boot (50MB), / (3GB), /usr(7.5GB), /home(25GB), /tmp(1GB), and /var(1GB) partitions to control access and log growth.
- got slack 8.1 + video/sound/eth drivers working and booting on WD drive installed as /dev/hda (IBM drive unplugged, using mainboard IDE channel) -- thanks to this forum
- lilo was installed and working on MBR of WD drive
- since MB only has ATA33 I pop in my Promise U66 controller and plug both drives in - IBM(Win2k) as PriMast and WD(Linux) as SecMast -- I did this because I read that Win2k boot loader complained when not on PriMast
- the drives are now IBM (/dev/hde) and WD (/dev/hdg)
- rerun lilo to install to super block of /boot (/dev/hdg1)
- I can boot to Win2k fine and have tried multiple times to copy the first 512b of my /boot partition to a floppy and then onto c:\ of /dev/hde (IBM) for the win2k boot loader to use
- I have managed to successfully get L 01 01 etc (and L 80 80 etc once) oh, about 10 times now trying different locations of the root= , map=, and install= in my lilo.conf
- I can boot linux via the slack8.1 iso and pass "bare.i root=/dev/hdg3" at the boot prompt to get to my WD drive and linux install.
- yes I do run lilo after I change lilo.conf and I do recopy the appropriate 512b of boot partition to floppy (as bootsect.lnx)
I've lost quite a bit of sleep on this one as i'm stubborn and a sucker for a challenge (ie linux fan). But I'm querying the forum now as I really just want this server back up...in linux...
Any of you gurus have an example lilo.conf for something like this? or maybe something new to try?
Last edited by ab42; 01-17-2003 at 04:55 PM.