I'm on the prowl for a *modern* lightweight (preferably 11 - 13 inch) laptop that can run Slackware with little or no compatibility issues.
Budget: max $1200 US (preferably less).
I'd like to hear who's got it running and on what model, perhaps state if there are any issues.
I've search-engined near and far, but haven't found any list of models which have been verified for Slackware. The most intriguing result I found was he Slackhat ARM project for the Samsung Chromebook:
However, there doesn't seem to have been any updates on there for a while.
So please, any experience at all, even if it's a bigger laptop would be interesting to know about.
Thank you so much for all your replies!
Here's a thread summary on devices mentioned so far:
No compatibility issues:
- Acer Aspire One netbook
- Acer Aspire 5735, 15.6" (Intel core 2 duo T6400)
- Asus 1005 HA EeePC
- Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A R4004H, 13.3" (Core i7) (non-touch version)
- Asus Zenbook UX31A, 15", (Core i7, Ivy bridge)
- Dell XPS L702x, (Core i7) 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD
- Dell Inspiron 1750
- Dell Latitude D520
- HP Mini, model 210-1000 (N450 processor)
- HP DM4-2058, 14"
- Lenovo Z580, 15", (Core i7)
- Samsung n110
- Samsung n150
- Hercules eCafe EC-800 (400Mhz) (Boots slow, but works well afterwards)
- Thinkpad T21 (Pentium III/256MB) (Boots slow, but works well afterwards)
- Thinkpad x41
- ThinkPad T60
- Thinkpad T61, 14,1"
- Thinkpad x100e
- Thinkpad T400, 14"
- Thinkpad T410
- ZaReason Strata
- Asus Travelmate (Due to Broadcom wireless)
- Dell Latitude C400, 12", (Ran Slackware 13 well, lacked intel video driver in Slackware 14)
- Dell Inspiron 1545n (Due to Broadcom wireless)
- HP 635 (Doesn't play YouTUbe videos)
- HP Pavilion DM1 (ATI video card uses the proprietary fglrx driver. Wireless works perfectly using the broadcom-sta driver. Audio configuration requires some fiddling to work)
- Lenovo G430 3000 14" (Due to Broadcom wireless)
- Lenovo T430s 14" (Due to intel graphic card - Solution: rebuild kernel)
- Sony VAIO SR Model VGN-SR36GN/B (When in the console, the screen is blanker, goes white instead of black)
Toshiba Satellite M115-S3104 (screen at times blanks out after the video driver kicks in on boot up)