LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2013, 06:07 AM   #31
Bertman123
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 166

Rep: Reputation: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikinovak View Post
I'm right now deciding between KDE Networkmanagement or the GTK applet. In the meantime, you can use AlienBob's package. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks! Right now I have wicd set up and running. So far everything work very nicely. Good job with this and thank you for all of your hard work with it. It is appreciated!
 
Old 08-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #32
jon lee
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 81

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by torimus View Post
Heh, development of this garbage was even financed from EU grants, so EP & EC are devils
I'm not going to get into a discussion of what it could be used for or any of that, but...

I'm building a live distro version of slackware and decided that this stuff didn't belong on a lightweight system. First thing I did was remove the mysql package (why have a database on a livecd?). This breaks Akonadi. Despite the fact if you turn off akonadi and nepomuk in the kde control center, they still load as system processes. To break that you have to go in /usr/bin and rename nepomukservicestub, nepomukserver, akonadi_control, and akonadiserver.

One last thing is to remove the gvfs package.

Cheers!
 
Old 08-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #33
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current & "True Multilib." PC-BSD.
Posts: 2,091

Rep: Reputation: 147Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon lee View Post
...I'm building a live distro version of slackware and decided that this stuff didn't belong on a lightweight system. First thing I did was remove the mysql package (why have a database on a livecd?). This breaks Akonadi....
Is there a reason to install akonadi on a live distro?
The first thing I do with KDE is un-install, that is I don't even bother to install, akondai and then disable nepomuk and strigi (sp) in settings and turn
off nepomuk services in the sevice manager.

Last edited by cwizardone; 08-24-2013 at 09:20 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #34
jon lee
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 81

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwizardone View Post
Is there a reason to install akonadi on a live distro?
The first thing I do with KDE is un-install, that is I don't even bother to install, akondai and then disable nepomuk and strigi (sp) in settings and turn
off nepomuk services in the sevice manager.
I dunno.. I went with the standard install as is the recommendation. I have ran into problems before picking and choosing (although sometimes you can get away with it).

I didn't even see nepomuk in the service manager, but even after disabling it there, I still see:
1 S 1000 2349 2214 0 80 0 - 30533 poll_s ? 00:00:00 nepomukserver
1 Z 1000 2352 2349 0 80 0 - 0 exit ? 00:00:00 nepomukserver <defunct>

in my processes. Do you have that clear from your processes?

I'm trying to clean up the kernel a bit as well. So far I've removed IPv6 (until it can be secured better) and Network File Systems, next time I'm removing RPC, should anything else be removed?

Last edited by jon lee; 08-24-2013 at 09:51 AM.
 
Old 08-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #35
rokytnji
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 13 , Various Puppys (MacPup,Slack0),MX-14
Posts: 2,127
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 639Reputation: 639Reputation: 639Reputation: 639Reputation: 639Reputation: 639
Quote:
I'm building a live distro version of slackware
Sorry to go off topic. It is just that that statement reminded me of something.

http://extonlinux.wordpress.com/

http://extonlinux.wordpress.com/?s=Slackware

Otherwise, ignore me.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #36
kikinovak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware64
Posts: 1,408

Rep: Reputation: 629Reputation: 629Reputation: 629Reputation: 629Reputation: 629Reputation: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertman123 View Post
Thanks! Right now I have wicd set up and running. So far everything work very nicely. Good job with this and thank you for all of your hard work with it. It is appreciated!
I did some testing and decided to go with the classic NetworkManager applet.

Code:
Mon Aug 26 17:42:39 CEST 2013
  Added a section in the README.txt file on using the network manager applet.
BeautifulSoup-3.2.0-i486-1_microlinux.txz: Added.
lxml-3.1.1-i486-1_microlinux.txz: Added.
gc-7.2d-i486-1_microlinux.txz: Added.
numpy-1.6.2-i486-1_microlinux.txz: Added.
gsl-1.15-i486-1_microlinux.txz: Added.
libsigc++-2.2.10-i486-1_microlinux.txz: Added.
mm-common-0.9.5-noarch-1_microlinux.txz: Added.
glibmm-2.32.1-i486-1_microlinux.txz: Added.
cairomm-1.10.0-i486-1_microlinux.txz: Added.
pangomm-2.28.4-i486-1_microlinux.txz: Added.
atkmm-2.22.6-i486-1_microlinux.txz: Added.
gtkmm-2.24.2-i486-1_microlinux.txz: Added.
inkscape-0.48.4-i486-1_microlinux.txz: Added.
+--------------------------+
Here's the new section in README.txt on how to use it:

Code:
Using the NetworkManager
------------------------

MLWS doesn't make use of KDE's network management applet and relies instead on
GNOME's corresponding applet, which already ships with Slackware in the
'network-management-applet' package. In its default configuration, the applet
is not supposed to appear in a KDE session:

  $ grep KDE /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop 
  NotShowIn=KDE;

As root, clean up any remaining configuration in '/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf':

--8<---------- /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf ---------------------------------------
...
# Config information for eth0:
IPADDR[0]=""
NETMASK[0]=""
USE_DHCP[0]="yes"
DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""

# Config information for eth1:
IPADDR[1]=""
NETMASK[1]=""
USE_DHCP[1]=""
DHCP_HOSTNAME[1]=""
...
# Default gateway IP address:
GATEWAY=""
...
--8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Activate the NetworkManager:

  # chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.networkmanager

As a normal user, enable the corresponding applet:

  $ mkdir ~/.config/autostart
  $ grep -v NotShowIn /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop > \
      ~/.config/autostart/nm-applet.desktop

Reboot, and you're ready. Notice the applet makes use of Oxygen GTK and
integrates nicely.

  /!\ If you're dubious about this setup, I got the idea by looking at a Red
  Hat Enterprise Linux 6.x workstation running KDE. 


         Niki Kovacs, Fri Aug 23 06:26:42 CEST 2013
Works nice here. Tell me if it's OK for you too.

Cheers,

Niki

Last edited by kikinovak; 08-26-2013 at 02:42 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #37
ryanpcmcquen
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 49

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by textillis View Post

However, and here is my question:
I would love to have a playground in which to enjoy the magic, theme-park aspects of KDE. Ideally, I would like this in an Linux distro having a similar philosophy to that prevailing in Arch or Slackware (the two distributions which more than any others have reinvigorated my interest and pleasure in personal computing) but if that is not possible, as you seem to suggest above, do you think Suse might be the way to go for my stated aim: ie: KDE Wonderland to flounce about in from time to time when I've got no work to do? (pour flaner comme le faineant que je suis)

Thanks
Hi textillis,

You really should give the Chakra Linux project a try. It is a fork of Arch that focuses on making the best KDE desktop possible. It still uses Pacman, but they are working on their own package manager. It's pretty slick, and the default theme is quite elegant.

;-)
 
Old 08-28-2013, 12:47 AM   #38
kikinovak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware64
Posts: 1,408

Rep: Reputation: 629Reputation: 629Reputation: 629Reputation: 629Reputation: 629Reputation: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpcmcquen View Post
Hi textillis,

You really should give the Chakra Linux project a try. It is a fork of Arch that focuses on making the best KDE desktop possible. It still uses Pacman, but they are working on their own package manager. It's pretty slick, and the default theme is quite elegant.

;-)
The problem with Arch and its spinoffs is that these distributions don't know the meaning of the word "perennity". Everything may install fine at first, but after a few weeks or months, your installation will quite probably implode after an update.

I fiddled around quite a lot with these distros, and I've come to the conclusion that they're unusable in the long run, the more so if you're using Linux in production environments, as I do. The fact that the Arch forums are run by demi-gods talking down to you from their cloud of thunder doesn't help either.

Last edited by kikinovak; 08-28-2013 at 12:52 AM.
 
Old 08-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #39
Bertman123
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 166

Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikinovak View Post

------------------------

MLWS doesn't make use of KDE's network management applet and relies instead on
GNOME's corresponding applet, which already ships with Slackware in the
'network-management-applet' package. In its default configuration, the applet
is not supposed to appear in a KDE session:

$ grep KDE /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop
NotShowIn=KDE;

As root, clean up any remaining configuration in '/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf':

--8<---------- /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf ---------------------------------------
...
# Config information for eth0:
IPADDR[0]=""
NETMASK[0]=""
USE_DHCP[0]="yes"
DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""

# Config information for eth1:
IPADDR[1]=""
NETMASK[1]=""
USE_DHCP[1]=""
DHCP_HOSTNAME[1]=""
...
# Default gateway IP address:
GATEWAY=""
...
--8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Activate the NetworkManager:

# chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.networkmanager

As a normal user, enable the corresponding applet:

$ mkdir ~/.config/autostart
$ grep -v NotShowIn /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop > \
~/.config/autostart/nm-applet.desktop

Reboot, and you're ready. Notice the applet makes use of Oxygen GTK and
integrates nicely.

/!\ If you're dubious about this setup, I got the idea by looking at a Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 6.x workstation running KDE.


Niki Kovacs, Fri Aug 23 06:26:42 CEST 2013[/CODE]

Works nice here. Tell me if it's OK for you too.

Cheers,

Niki
Works perfectly, thanks. Had no problems getting it set up! Nice job.
 
Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #40
jon lee
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 81

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
It took a bit of finangling (read as dirty hack), but I did manage to compile (portions of) kde 4.11.0 without nepomuk.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps2c743385.png

I like the new gl compositing options.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps2b365130.png

Can't really tell a difference, but it seems flash video doesn't work as well with open gl 3.1 compositing (which it shouldn't be using anyway?).
 
Old 08-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #41
ryanpcmcquen
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 49

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikinovak View Post
The problem with Arch and its spinoffs is that these distributions don't know the meaning of the word "perennity". Everything may install fine at first, but after a few weeks or months, your installation will quite probably implode after an update.

I fiddled around quite a lot with these distros, and I've come to the conclusion that they're unusable in the long run, the more so if you're using Linux in production environments, as I do. The fact that the Arch forums are run by demi-gods talking down to you from their cloud of thunder doesn't help either.
I definitely agree with you Niki. :-)

Distro-hopping is a lot of fun but I am a Slackware user through and through. There is no better way to compute, in my opinion.

The neat thing about the Chakra project is that they recognize the tumultuous nature of Arch and freeze the tool chain, and other important parts of the system to help with stability (they call it a half/rolling release). They also use their own repositories. I am not in any way claiming that it is stable like Slackware, but in my own experience I have found it quite stable. It is, if nothing else, a nice diversion and implementation of KDE. Also, the forums are quite a bit friendlier.

On a side note, I really can't stand how patronizing Arch users are either, considering that once you get through installation and configuration, Arch is probably one of the EASIEST distros to use. Along with the AUR, they have a binary package for everything. Even in Ubuntu I have to add PPA's. Just sayin'.

:-0
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:15 AM   #42
Knightron
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Distribution: Slackware.
Posts: 1,297
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 152Reputation: 152
In the small time i used Arch, i found the users quite tolerable. On a side note, you can't argue that Arch has if not the best, one of the best wikis of all distros.
As for Charkra, i tried it about a year ago, appealed by it's half rolling release cycle you mentioned. In all fairness, i had no stability issues, so i've got to give them that; but i had a hell of a time with their tools to handle bundles (they may be improved by now). I'm not a fan of the separation of gtk applications.
 
Old 08-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #43
jon lee
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 81

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Well as per OP's article, it is possible to get kde (4.11) up and running without nepomuk, akonadi and gam_server. It runs well and fast.

Here's the logs:
http://pastebin.com/GtRhkeD7
(what may look like errors aren't really- except I need to recompile the printer-applet)

Here's my process list:
http://pastebin.com/ELefJrus

Notice no nepomukserver.

It runs in 162mb of memory but that is with most effects enabled.

You will have to do without (ie remove) amarok, calligra, kde-pim and kde-pim runtime (I left the kde-pim libraries) as all of these require nepomuk/akonadi.

Edit:
And here's a screenshot of system settings without nepomuk and akonadi.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...psebfbe904.png

Last edited by jon lee; 08-30-2013 at 12:53 PM.
 
Old 09-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #44
jon lee
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 81

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
A few more notes- since I've been playing with this. When compiling kde-runtime if you whitelist drkonqi from the Cmakelist.txt (and while you're at it, nepomuk and kwalletd), you will remove the dependency on kde-pim libraries. I have the memory footprint down to 132mb now.

I haven't had plasma crash so I don't really know how it will react with removing drkonqi. I do know before, drkonqi wasn't much help anyway (which influenced my decision to do away with kde-pim libs).

I'm tempted to try this with nepomuk in kde-libraries as well.

Edit: Also I have found Clementine to be a most excellent replacement for Amarok- without the nepomuk/akonadi dependencies.

Last edited by jon lee; 09-04-2013 at 01:45 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Development begins on a lightweight KDE version LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-14-2013 05:30 PM
LXer: What makes a “lightweight” desktop environment lightweight? LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-14-2013 12:40 PM
LXer: hackweek9: Lightweight KDE Desktop project - updated LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-13-2013 06:11 PM
Lightweight KDE 3.5 theme ??? manosagn Linux - Desktop 4 02-22-2007 04:24 AM
good lightweight (but with KDE) noob distro? e1000 Linux - Distributions 17 11-25-2004 09:50 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration