LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   lightweight kde (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/lightweight-kde-4175469776/)

vonbiber 07-16-2013 02:41 AM

lightweight kde
 
Anybody heard of this project?
https://github.com/SUSE/hackweek/wik...-based-desktop

kikinovak 07-16-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vonbiber (Post 4991091)

Yep. I'd happily use it if there was a Slackware version available. I have a perfectly ambivalent relationship with KDE 4 in its current state. I really dig the Oxygen look & feel, the subtle professional glitter of everything, and some apps like Dolphin, Gwenview or K3B are really great. On the other hand, some applications are real "usines gaz" (what we call them here in France), and the developers seem generally more interested in adding new features before ironing out the most unnerving bugs.

My dream desktop for Linux: SUSE's lightweight KDE desktop running on Slackware, with a release cycle of one minor release every six months (instead of one major release every three months).

Cheers,

Niki

Timothy Miller 07-16-2013 01:55 PM

I look forward to seeing the progress on it. While all my machines are powerful enough to run full kde desktops, lighter without loss of functionality is always a good thing.

YellowApple 07-16-2013 02:33 PM

Interesting; this will be fun to watch develop.

To be honest, I'm quite alright with KDE4. Even on slower machines, it usually runs fine for me once desktop effects are disabled. On the other hand, perhaps this could eventually be incorporated into KDE proper - i.e. trim out the fat and produce a leaner-yet-beautiful DE.

frankbell 07-16-2013 07:30 PM

There's RazorQT, which is an attempt to make a lighter desktop based on the QT libraries.

I haven't tried it, but I've heard some podcasters who have, with mixed results.

I generally prefer KDE applications, but I almost never use KDE itself; too much bloat. I prefer Fluxbox or (more recently) E17.

Timothy Miller 07-16-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbell (Post 4991600)
There's RazorQT, which is an attempt to make a lighter desktop based on the QT libraries.

I haven't tried it, but I've heard some podcasters who have, with mixed results.

I generally prefer KDE applications, but I almost never use KDE itself; too much bloat. I prefer Fluxbox or (more recently) E17.

I tried it. It's...functional, but not very customizable at all, and font rendering to me was HIDEOUS. KDE is my standard desktop on everything I own.

red_fire 07-16-2013 09:53 PM

I have an idea.. since KDE is very customizable, why don't we try to create a standardized set of configurations for such 'light' KDE? It may not be as good as the aforementioned light KDE project, though, but I think it will work.

What I can think of so far:
- Turn off effects, of course
- Turn off Nepomuk Indexing service

;)

Timothy Miller 07-16-2013 10:04 PM

To quote the waterboy's mama "Nepomuk is da DEVIL!"

torimus 07-17-2013 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy Miller (Post 4991660)
To quote the waterboy's mama "Nepomuk is da DEVIL!"

Heh, development of this garbage was even financed from EU grants, so EP & EC are devils ;)

itsgregman 07-17-2013 02:11 AM

Kde4 has left a bad taste in my mouth since it came out. The only good thing about it was it forced me to look for an alternative that suited me and I was fortunate enough to find one.

While I don't imagine this new lite Kde4 will be much different than what Pclinux provides with their minime release, I will be watching their progress a hoping they can at least make the bloated mess that is Kde4 into something closer to the Kde3 I really miss.

Pearson 07-18-2013 01:11 PM

I like the trimmed-down implementation of KDE in Porteus Linux (a Slackware derivative,BTW). I' like to see that done as a package.

kikinovak 07-18-2013 02:15 PM

Slax 7.x has done a nice job too.

manwichmakesameal 07-18-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy Miller (Post 4991637)
I tried it. It's...functional, but not very customizable at all, and font rendering to me was HIDEOUS. KDE is my standard desktop on everything I own.

Wow, that's not the experience I've been having with it at all. I've been using it for about a month now. I like the fact that the whole desktop now is QT based. It's way more lightweight than KDE. The possibility of LXDE and Razor-QT teams working together is also pretty awesome.

textillis 07-19-2013 03:39 AM

>Niki, Salut, re. KDE light experience
 
Quote:

My dream desktop for Linux: SUSE's lightweight KDE desktop running on Slackware, with a release cycle of one minor release every six months (instead of one major release every three months).

Cheers,

Niki

Hey Niki, on that subject, I have been running SW -current for a couple of weeks, switching between KDE and xfce. I totally relate to the "ambivalence" of which you speak in reference to KDE. And I think the frugal side to my (split) personality is going to resolve the issue in favour of xfce.

However, and here is my question:
I would love to have a playground in which to enjoy the magic, theme-park aspects of KDE. Ideally, I would like this in an Linux distro having a similar philosophy to that prevailing in Arch or Slackware (the two distributions which more than any others have reinvigorated my interest and pleasure in personal computing) but if that is not possible, as you seem to suggest above, do you think Suse might be the way to go for my stated aim: ie: KDE Wonderland to flounce about in from time to time when I've got no work to do? (pour flaner comme le faineant que je suis)


Thanks

kikinovak 07-19-2013 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by textillis (Post 4993061)
I would love to have a playground in which to enjoy the magic, theme-park aspects of KDE. Ideally, I would like this in an Linux distro having a similar philosophy to that prevailing in Arch or Slackware (the two distributions which more than any others have reinvigorated my interest and pleasure in personal computing) but if that is not possible, as you seem to suggest above, do you think Suse might be the way to go for my stated aim: ie: KDE Wonderland to flounce about in from time to time when I've got no work to do? (pour flaner comme le faineant que je suis)

Thanks

Actually, openSUSE is a fine distribution, technically speaking. I've been using it a few years ago and found it quite well assembled, though a little bit too bleeding edge. Especially the KDE desktop is quite cleanly implemented. The main reason I turned away from openSUSE was the infamous deal with Microsoft a few years ago. And honestly, after some time, I get tired of the DO NOT EDIT THIS BY HAND nonsense, even if everything works OK.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.