LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   libstdc++.so.5 is missing from gcc-4.3.3_multilib-x86_64-4alien.txz (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/libstdc-so-5-is-missing-from-gcc-4-3-3_multilib-x86_64-4alien-txz-751247/)

samac 08-30-2009 08:42 AM

libstdc++.so.5 is missing from gcc-4.3.3_multilib-x86_64-4alien.txz
 
I play Neverwinter Nights and in order for the movies to play they require libstdc++.so.5, but only libstdc++.so.6 is included in gcc-4.3.3_multilib-x86_64-4alien.txz. I have looked at the slackbuild but cannot see what to do to get the earlier libraries. Does anyone know how to do this?

samac

weibullguy 08-30-2009 09:34 AM

libstdc++.so.5 is provided by the 3.X.X versions of gcc. The 4.X.X versions of gcc provide libstdc++.so.6 as you have already discovered. You can install just the libstdc++.so.5 from earlier versions of gcc. Here is how I do it on my (non-Slackware) machine
Code:

tar xf gcc-3.3.6.tar.bz2 &&
mkdir gcc-build &&
cd gcc-build &&
../gcc-3.3.6/configure --prefix=/opt/gcc-3.3.6 \
    --enable-threads=posix --enable-multilib \
    --enable-shared --enable-languages=c,c++ &&
make bootstrap &&
cp -av $(gcc -dumpmachine)/libstdc++-v3/src/.libs/libstdc++.so.5* /usr/lib64

Hopefully it gets you started.

forum1793 08-30-2009 09:35 AM

Have you tried creating a symlink to .6 and see if it works? I've tried stuff like this in the past. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Alien Bob 08-30-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samac (Post 3662795)
I play Neverwinter Nights and in order for the movies to play they require libstdc++.so.5, but only libstdc++.so.6 is included in gcc-4.3.3_multilib-x86_64-4alien.txz. I have looked at the slackbuild but cannot see what to do to get the earlier libraries. Does anyone know how to do this?

samac

Hi!

Perhaps it is enough to run convertpkg-compat32 on Slackware's 32bit cxxlibs package and install the resulting -compat32 package.
I will add cxxlibs to the list of packages in the massconvert32.sh script so that a -compat32 package will be created automatically from now on.

Cheers, Eric

samac 08-30-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Perhaps it is enough to run convertpkg-compat32 on Slackware's 32bit cxxlibs package and install the resulting -compat32 package.
This resulted in a use-able libstdc++.so.5 in /usr/i486-slackware-linux/lib/, linking this to /usr/lib/ allowed the first movie to play, NWN then froze. So I guess my problem is fixed with regard to Slackware64 I will now try to fix the NWN problem.

Thanks Eric.

samac

Alien Bob 08-31-2009 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samac (Post 3662893)
This resulted in a use-able libstdc++.so.5 in /usr/i486-slackware-linux/lib/, linking this to /usr/lib/ allowed the first movie to play, NWN then froze. So I guess my problem is fixed with regard to Slackware64 I will now try to fix the NWN problem.

Thanks Eric.

samac

I've updated my compat32-tools package so that it will now properly deal with the libraries in the 32bit cxxlibs package. Your manual symlink creation should no longer be needed.

Eric


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 AM.