[SOLVED] libreoffice3.3.2 printing problem in SW13.37
SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
After installing libre3.3.2 using the Slackbuild scripts, I found that it displayed
fonts correctly, but doesn't print the same font on the printer. The output of the
printer should be Arial, but is instead some elongated, overlapping mess.
The same Slackware package installed on SW13.1 prints normally. (Same computer,
Spadmin used to control the printer fonts, but apparently not anymore. Anyone have
an idea about how to troubleshoot/correct this problem?
Well, I would assume that the problem is anywhere "between" the fonts and cups (or between libreoffice and cups).
Since after exporting the file to pdf everything works fine, it seems unlikely that the fonts (alone) are the problem.
Otherwise if you print the odt-file directly with cups, either to a file or to the printer, the issue remains the same.
Edit: I'm running the LibreOffice-3.3.2 package from AlienBob on Slackware64-13.37 and I don't have any problems.
Since my last post, much, hmmmm.... water .... has gone over the dam. For one thing, I
have a new computer, the old one having gone belly-up. Still have the same problem, though.
To correct my previous post, if I export to a pdf file, the file displays properly and prints
properly, sometimes. Envelopes and spreadsheets always print with that strange font. Normal
pages of text seem to be all right most of the time.
I suspect ghostscript-9.00 is the culprit, as I can substitute everything else from SW13.1 into
my system without change. Unfortunately ghostscript-8.71 won't run under SW13.37, even if compiled
therein. (Haven't really looked at why yet.)
Because this has now happened on two different machines, I am really surprised that no one else seems
to have had this problem. I have reinstalled SW13.37 from two different sources, one an iso I downloaded
myself and the other the cd's from my subscription. I have also recompiled, repackaged, and reinstalled
everything that seems to affect printing from the source files. None of this has had any effect on
Well, I'll keep working on it. If anyone has a flash of brilliance, let me know.
I tend to prefer HP printers under Linux and have good results with them. You didn't say what printer you are using. I do not use gutenprint. I currently use HP laserjet M1212nf (TCP/IP) and HP Deskjet 990Cm (USB) via hplip and a HP Laserjet 6MP (TCP/IP via D-Link parallel-ethernet dongle). Hplip sets up CUPS and the HP 6MP I set up via CUPS. I don't select the ghostscript version of the drivers but rather the hpxxx.ppd versions. No issues printing from the sbo built Libreoffice.
From your brief information, I would suspect the wrong, or a bad, printer driver, a a misconfigured CUPS (ie via hplip)
Last edited by kingbeowulf; 06-06-2011 at 01:34 AM.
OK, Back at it. I've been busy the last week, without much spare time. Ever notice how
life keeps getting in the way of important things?
To answer previous posts: My printer is an Epson Stylus CX5000. I use the Gutenprint driver,
which has worked well for several years. My new computer uses an ASUS M4A78LT-M motherboard
with 4 gig of ram. Uname-a gives this info: "Linux nadrek 22.214.171.124-smp #2 SMP Sat Apr 9 23:39:07
CDT 2011 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 245 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux"
There are two hard drives. One, of 320 GB, is formatted into a number of partitions, the first of
which is my Slackware 13.37 partition and the second, SW 13.1. I am currently running 32 bit versions.
The second hard drive (500 GB) is mounted as /home.
I did try file 5.07. No happiness, the condition persists. Other than the above, I can't add much
to my last post.