LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   latex error installing texlive via sbopkg (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/latex-error-installing-texlive-via-sbopkg-920328/)

Cultist 12-24-2011 04:14 AM

latex error installing texlive via sbopkg
 
SO I was trying to install texlive. I removed tetex and tetex-docs beforehand like the readme says, and proceeded to build. Files all downloaded properly, but after it runs for a bit, it gives met his error:

Code:

checking for latex... no
checking for elatex... no
checking for lambda... no
checking for pdflatex... no
configure: error: LATEX is required to build xindy rules
=== configuring in xindy failed
make[2]: *** [subutils] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/SBo/texlive-20110705-source/Work/utils'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/SBo/texlive-20110705-source/Work/utils'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
Command exited with non-zero status 2
213.27user 78.58system 5:30.62elapsed 88%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 674928maxresident)k
16inputs+1020128outputs (0major+24810714minor)pagefaults 0swaps
+ echo 2
done (exit status 2) Sat Dec 24 05:07:04 EST 2011

My exact process was to type
Code:

su -
, remove tetex and tetex-doc, open sbopkg, and install texlive.

The error seems to indicate that I'm missing Latex, and Google has not helped me to figure out this problem. I can't even find a latex package to try to install.

This is while running in Terminal in xfce in Slackware64 -current.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

amani 12-24-2011 07:09 AM

sbopkg is not stable yet. paths?

better install from texlive dvd or manually.

Cultist 12-24-2011 11:15 PM

Okay, I'm an idiot.

The problem was that I wasn't literal enough with the readme. I removed tetex and tetex-doc before trying to compile texlive, but all the readme actually says is to remove them before INSTALLING texlive. I reinstalled the packages, compiled texlive without issue, removed the packages again, installed texlive, and all is well.

ponce 12-25-2011 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amani (Post 4557564)
sbopkg is not stable yet.

?

can you please explain why you say that?

amani 12-26-2011 10:23 AM

http://sbopkg.org/ says it is still in testing phase.

ponce 12-26-2011 12:23 PM

ah, that means pretty nothing, it's just a disclaimer, I used it for years building thousands of packages without any fault :)

has it failed for you?

firekage 01-01-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cultist (Post 4557878)
Okay, I'm an idiot.

The problem was that I wasn't literal enough with the readme. I removed tetex and tetex-doc before trying to compile texlive, but all the readme actually says is to remove them before INSTALLING texlive. I reinstalled the packages, compiled texlive without issue, removed the packages again, installed texlive, and all is well.

I have the same error but in my case, i only tried to compile it. I hadn't remove anything when compiling and error is still present. Don't know why. I don't use sbopkg, i tried to compiling it with terminal, still no progess.

Code:

checking what warning flags to pass to the C compiler... -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-unknown-pragmas
checking for clisp... clisp
checking for perl... perl
checking for latex... no
checking for elatex... no
checking for lambda... no
checking for pdflatex... no
configure: error: LATEX is required to build xindy rules
=== configuring in xindy failed
make[2]: *** [subutils] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/SBo/texlive-20110705-source/Work/utils'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/SBo/texlive-20110705-source/Work/utils'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
Command exited with non-zero status 2
195.99user 21.86system 4:27.00elapsed 81%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 396208maxresident)k
0inputs+566528outputs (0major+19572551minor)pagefaults 0swaps
+ echo 2
done (exit status 2) Sun Jan 1 23:51:40 CET 2012
root@darkstar:/tmp/texlive# ^C
root@darkstar:/tmp/texlive# mcedit tex
texi2html-5.0.tar.bz2          texlive-20110705-texmf.tar.xz
texlive-20110705-extra.tar.xz  texlive.SlackBuild
texlive-20110705-source.tar.xz  texlive.info
root@darkstar:/tmp/texlive# mcedit texlive.SlackBuild

I downloaded all files from slackbuild, with sources.

lunarDarkside 01-09-2012 07:53 AM

i change 'enable-xindy' to 'disable-xindy' in the texlive.SlackBuild file, and then compile and install without error.

after that i manually installed xindy package, but havn't given it a full test yet.

firekage 01-09-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunarDarkside (Post 4570149)
i change 'enable-xindy' to 'disable-xindy' in the texlive.SlackBuild file, and then compile and install without error.

after that i manually installed xindy package, but havn't given it a full test yet.


Thank you for this tip :D I didn't know that it can be disabled.

JohnV2 01-21-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firekage (Post 4563381)
I have the same error but in my case, i only tried to compile it. I hadn't remove anything when compiling and error is still present. Don't know why. I don't use sbopkg, i tried to compiling it with terminal, still no progess.

Code:

checking what warning flags to pass to the C compiler... -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-unknown-pragmas
checking for clisp... clisp
checking for perl... perl
checking for latex... no
checking for elatex... no
checking for lambda... no
checking for pdflatex... no
configure: error: LATEX is required to build xindy rules
=== configuring in xindy failed
make[2]: *** [subutils] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/SBo/texlive-20110705-source/Work/utils'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/SBo/texlive-20110705-source/Work/utils'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
Command exited with non-zero status 2
195.99user 21.86system 4:27.00elapsed 81%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 396208maxresident)k
0inputs+566528outputs (0major+19572551minor)pagefaults 0swaps
+ echo 2
done (exit status 2) Sun Jan 1 23:51:40 CET 2012
root@darkstar:/tmp/texlive# ^C
root@darkstar:/tmp/texlive# mcedit tex
texi2html-5.0.tar.bz2          texlive-20110705-texmf.tar.xz
texlive-20110705-extra.tar.xz  texlive.SlackBuild
texlive-20110705-source.tar.xz  texlive.info
root@darkstar:/tmp/texlive# mcedit texlive.SlackBuild

I downloaded all files from slackbuild, with sources.

Hi ;)

you need to do "su -l" I've tested...

look at this http://slackbuilds.org/howto/#su

best regards,
John

firekage 01-22-2012 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnV2 (Post 4580852)
Hi ;)

you need to do "su -l" I've tested...

look at this http://slackbuilds.org/howto/#su

best regards,
John

I don't understand. In what purpose? I've tried to install it with root privileages with su, and given password so i was not as a user but as a root. It is because of mentioned at slackubilds.org path?

JohnV2 01-23-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firekage (Post 4581138)
I don't understand. In what purpose? I've tried to install it with root privileages with su, and given password so i was not as a user but as a root. It is because of mentioned at slackubilds.org path?

Yes of course... the installer was not to be able to find xindy because of the path.

check "$ env" like this "$ env | grep PATH" and look for example this environment variable "PATH=", you see? ;)

now you can do this:
# slocate -u (if you never ran before)
# slocate xindy

where is it? in the user account you have /usr/share/texmf/bin moreover if you check root PATH you don't have it... that's why :D

best regards,

John


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.