SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
i've compiled samba from source on my notebook. i connect via a wireless connection and can successfully browse windows share on other boxes on the network when i use the CLI (smbclient \\machine_name\share) , but when i go into konqueror and try to browse the network using smb:\\\machine_name, this is the error i'm getting :
An error occurred while loading smb:/tomatoes:
Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Error loading 'kio_smb'.
i've googled this and couldn't locate anything that would help me with this problem. if anyone's encountered this before i would appreciate it if there's a way around it.
i ran konqueror as root (through run and 'kdesu konqueror')... i'm gonna try to chmod those files and see what comes up.
also, another thing i noticed was , i installed smb4k and running it as root , it comes up with the error that says, couldn't locate smbmount .... and when i click OK it just shuts the program off. i also recently compiled my kernel to 2.6.10 to get ACPI support for my notebook and i did specify smb file system under file systems > Network file systems. is that the only place i needed to specify or did i need to do something else (specify another module) to have this working.
initially i had ubuntu on my notebook, but i got fed up with it (being used to slackware for so long now..) so when i was installing slack on my notebook i guess one of the disks might have been scratched and whilst installing samba, it gave me an error that the samba-3.x.tgz package couldn't be installed, so i skipped it for then only to think i would later install it via the source packages, which i did. is there any way to uninstall the samba source i've installed right now and just mount the slack cd and reinstall it again ??
Did you make a package w/ checkinstall, or did you just run 'make install'?
If you made a package you can just remove it. Sometimes you can run 'make uninstall' and it will remove the program, but that depends on whether or not the program makers made it that way. I don't know if that's the case with samba or not.
However, if the missing files are in /usr/local/samba/bin just adding symlinks in /usr/bin might fix your issues.
just wanted to let you all know that i fixed the problem. you were right since i had compiled samba from source i didn't have some files needed for konqueror to access smb. so i went to the samba source directory, did a make uninstall, it removed all the modules. went to the /usr/bin and /usr/sbin directories and removed all the symlinks, downloaded the samba tgz package from slackware.com, and it works now. thanks for all your help.