LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2006, 02:47 PM   #1
d-s-r
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Kernel panic: gatt bus addr too high


Since this is my first post on Linux Questions, I'd like to say hi to everyone. I just installed Slackware 10.2 under Parallel Desktop on my MacBook. When I try to boot, I get the kernel panic "gatt bus addr too high". Go to <tinyurl.com/lj25k> to see a screenshot of the console. The line before the kernel panic says "agpgart: Detected Intel i815 chipset", so does that mean there might be a problem either with my CPU or with how Parallels Desktop treats it (all I know is PD doesn't make use of both cores)? It's a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo CPU. Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,
David
 
Old 09-19-2006, 12:15 AM   #2
terry.simons
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-s-r
Since this is my first post on Linux Questions, I'd like to say hi to everyone. I just installed Slackware 10.2 under Parallel Desktop on my MacBook. When I try to boot, I get the kernel panic "gatt bus addr too high". Go to <tinyurl.com/lj25k> to see a screenshot of the console. The line before the kernel panic says "agpgart: Detected Intel i815 chipset", so does that mean there might be a problem either with my CPU or with how Parallels Desktop treats it (all I know is PD doesn't make use of both cores)? It's a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo CPU. Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,
David
Hey David,

I ran into the same problem.

Try installing the test26.s kernel instead of the default. I'm actually using build 1884 (the latest stable is 1848) but test26.s works with it. I didn't try test26.s with the stable, and I didn't try 2.4 with the beta, but my particular combination does work.

Good luck.

- Terry
 
Old 09-19-2006, 12:50 AM   #3
terry.simons
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.simons
Hey David,

I ran into the same problem.

Try installing the test26.s kernel instead of the default. I'm actually using build 1884 (the latest stable is 1848) but test26.s works with it. I didn't try test26.s with the stable, and I didn't try 2.4 with the beta, but my particular combination does work.

Good luck.

- Terry
You'll want to mount disk 2 and run installpkg on the Linux 2.6.13 test kernel modules... they don't get installed by default. Also, it looks like with the modules installed the error comes back, but it doesn't take the kernel out... the system recovers gracefully.

You'll need the modules to get the emulated NIC working.

- Terry
 
Old 10-17-2006, 07:03 AM   #4
Mythrill
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Posts: 12

Rep: Reputation: 0
Oh, dammit. I've written at the wrong topic. Anyway, your problem is most likely caused by an attempt on writing on some reserved bits stuff. Try what Terry said first. You might consider removing the agp module too if that fails, since some cards like Nvidia have their own.

And Terry, you don't install test26.s. That kernel is just a boot kernel so you can install the system.
 
Old 10-22-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
terry.simons
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythrill
Oh, dammit. I've written at the wrong topic. Anyway, your problem is most likely caused by an attempt on writing on some reserved bits stuff. Try what Terry said first. You might consider removing the agp module too if that fails, since some cards like Nvidia have their own.

And Terry, you don't install test26.s. That kernel is just a boot kernel so you can install the system.
Actually, you *do* install the test26.s kernel... at least I had to. I both booted *and* installed test26.s. The 2.4.x kernels cause the issue described, and since Slackware installs the booted kernel by default, I didn't think it was necessary to distinguish between the booted kernel, and the installed kernel.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obtain IP addr. from MAC addr? Ryand833 Linux - Wireless Networking 3 06-30-2005 02:59 PM
ACPI resume, PCI bus corruption(?), kernel 2.6.7 mbeattie74 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 12-16-2004 08:55 PM
Kernel panic puts me in a panic theeeg Linux - Software 2 07-31-2004 05:46 PM
Pb with kernel 2.6.4 to give users' right to /proc/bus/usb on a Slackware 9.1 myxmyx Linux - Software 0 04-29-2004 02:39 AM
Kernel panic making me panic! Linux_N0oby Linux - Software 19 05-29-2002 01:31 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration