SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
did u have trouble with the harddrive name change? my machine uses ide hd. from what i have read the new driver will change hda to sda. i am just trying to be cautious as this server is in production and i do not have any devel boxes.
it's strange, I went from slack 11 (2.33.3) to 220.127.116.11 and it seems that now only half my ram is being shown in meminfo and top... any ideas at all? i went from the ide2.33.3 to huge-18.104.22.168 to get support for everything
the system has 1gb, it now reports 512 only, when i did the kernel update i did not make any changes to its default configs it came w/ from the slackware mirror, i used installpkg to install it and then removepkg to remove the old kernel, and then i updated lilo etc and initrd
but i'm going manually configure 22.214.171.124 tomorrow and see about enabling himem support, though it's funny that if that's the problem that somehow it supports 512 but not 1gb...
So far, i have been using custom kernel and it worked just fine on my laptop
i used the .config from Slackware and i modified it a little bit
- enable ALSA modules
- Change processor type
- Enable High mem
- several other tweaks
everything is working