LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2011, 05:16 AM   #16
AlvaroG
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Location: Canelones, Uruguay
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 128

Rep: Reputation: 31

Well, with regard to the 'may break' thing, there is a very simple rule one can follow and be almost free of issues: be in current, but a few weeks behind it. This is, if current gets upgraded today, upgrade your packages in two weeks.

This way you get almost the same -current experience, and at the same time most of the bugs that may occur will be already fixed by the time you upgrade, as many users would have discovered them while testing the packages. In my opinion, you get the best of both worlds.
It takes more work than doing it automatically with slackpkg, but you can download today's packages and install them after some time, even replacing some of them if a bug is found.

It is not always possible, as sometimes -current gets upgraded more often than a few weeks, but anyway you probably don't need to be in the cutting edge. Also, most important bugs get discovered after a few days (even hours!) instead of weeks, so no real need to worry about it, the bug may be already fixed by the time you run slackpkg :-)

Just my :-)
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #17
blackbelt_jones
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Posts: 46

Rep: Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeRi@lDiE View Post
I dont mean to highjack this thread so OP please excuse me.... @blackbelt_jones: Are you been sarcastic or serious?
current is sort of the bleeding edge of slackware and the test grounds for developers and those brave enough to run current with the risk.... I know from experience that current can and in occasion WILL brake your OS. Those with experience can manage around and get the fixes but for some people including me slackware is my main desktop for fun and work so I can not afford to brake it for massive amount of times. If you ask me for those out there seeking an advice of stable vs current if you dont have the time stay in stable but if you have the time and like to live on the edge go for it. and for everybody else in this post I would say that if the OP is not a season Linux user advising them to go to current is a bad idea. Like somebody said all ready "Old software some time is the price you pay for stability" Just my 2 cents

Good Luck.
Well, I was being serious. Personally, I think of Slackware current as being comparable to Debian Sid (the unstable version of Debian). I've known Sid to break. It seems to me that t's always on the upgrade when the problems happen, so not upgrading too often, as already suggested, makes sense. I think the problem that I had with the upgrade to current may have been caused by my convoluted dual boot strategy. Long story. Bottom line is I scrapped everything (I use a seperate /home so all my personal data was safe) reinstalled Slackware, upgradeiong to current, and all is well.

I had a good reason for upgrading to current. I wanted a more recent KDE, and this was the best way to get it into Slackware. I've now got 4.5.5, and I'm thinking about whether I want to try 4.6.0, which slowed down a Kubuntu system when i tried it.

The question to ask is whether you're willing to risk a complete reinstall to get a newer KDE. I wa swilling to risk it once, but will I risk it again for KDE 4.6.0? Dunno, but right now I have current with KDE 4.5.5, and it runs like a dream.


(So far.)
 
Old 02-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #18
blackbelt_jones
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Posts: 46

Rep: Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroG View Post
Well, with regard to the 'may break' thing, there is a very simple rule one can follow and be almost free of issues: be in current, but a few weeks behind it. This is, if current gets upgraded today, upgrade your packages in two weeks.
Where do we go to find out when current has been upgrade?
 
Old 02-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #19
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,223

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbelt_jones View Post
Where do we go to find out when current has been upgrade?
http://www.slackware.com/changelog/c...php?cpu=x86_64 (64-bit Slackware)

http://www.slackware.com/changelog/current.php?cpu=i386 (32-bit Slackware)

Eric
 
Old 02-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #20
2handband
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Alexandria, Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 809

Rep: Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbelt_jones View Post
Well, I was being serious. Personally, I think of Slackware current as being comparable to Debian Sid (the unstable version of Debian). I've known Sid to break. It seems to me that t's always on the upgrade when the problems happen, so not upgrading too often, as already suggested, makes sense. I think the problem that I had with the upgrade to current may have been caused by my convoluted dual boot strategy. Long story. Bottom line is I scrapped everything (I use a seperate /home so all my personal data was safe) reinstalled Slackware, upgradeiong to current, and all is well.

I had a good reason for upgrading to current. I wanted a more recent KDE, and this was the best way to get it into Slackware. I've now got 4.5.5, and I'm thinking about whether I want to try 4.6.0, which slowed down a Kubuntu system when i tried it.

The question to ask is whether you're willing to risk a complete reinstall to get a newer KDE. I wa swilling to risk it once, but will I risk it again for KDE 4.6.0? Dunno, but right now I have current with KDE 4.5.5, and it runs like a dream.


(So far.)
The betas of KDE 4.6 had some performance issues, yes. But the actual release is the fastest KDE 4.x yet.
 
Old 02-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #21
blackbelt_jones
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Posts: 46

Rep: Reputation: 12
Well I think it was the release that I installed into Kubuntu, not the beta... but I think that Kubuntu is the source of the performance issues, at least on this hardware, which is not the best. Now that I think oif it, the performace issues only came up when I used the Desktop effects. But I like the effects. I did go ahead and install KDE 4.6.0 from the aliens repositories, and it looks great so far.

Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 02-11-2011 at 08:51 PM.
 
Old 02-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #22
2handband
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Alexandria, Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 809

Rep: Reputation: 96
I'm running it on Arch with effects enabled, and it's like lightning. Kubuntu has always been a shit sandwich.
 
Old 02-17-2011, 06:48 AM   #23
Martinezio
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 191

Rep: Reputation: 32
Hi all

Recently I was determined to upgrade my KDE to Alien's 4.6.0 package and thus got some problems. My KDE system don't see my DVD-RW drive, so I can't burn anything and more - I can't read any CD, if I don't mount it manualy from console. Device manager don't see any media (but it works fine for USB sticks) inserted.

Maybe someone knows any solution of this? I think, that this may be involved with udisks tool, but I don't know, which side I should bite first ;/

Thanks in advance for any help.

Of course, before upgrade (I've used previously KDE 4.5.6, IIRC) drive was detected and was visible also for k3b.

Reinstallation is not the solution at all. Maybe something has broken, but what?
 
Old 02-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #24
blackbelt_jones
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Posts: 46

Rep: Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handband View Post
I'm running it on Arch with effects enabled, and it's like lightning. Kubuntu has always been a shit sandwich.
No comment. Yeah, I'm loving it on Slackware, though with Slackware, there are issues with getting all the software I like. Maybe these Alien repos are going to turn out to be the answer.

I can't explain it, it's entirely subjective, and I may be entirely full of myself, but to me, KDE 4.6 seems simpler and more straightforward than previous versions. Is it all in my head? Anybody want to comment?
 
Old 02-21-2011, 02:30 AM   #25
Martinezio
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 191

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinezio View Post
My KDE system don't see my DVD-RW drive, so I can't burn anything and more - I can't read any CD, if I don't mount it manualy from console. Device manager don't see any media (but it works fine for USB sticks) inserted.
I answer myself, but maybe someone need in the future.

I've upgraded udev to the latest stable (166), and rebuilt the kernel (I had enabled "enable deprecated sysfs features to support old userspace tools" option in general setup, which for new distros should be disabled).
Now, everythink works ok

Regards!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slackware 13, KDE4 and Kdenetwork aszabo Slackware 1 12-04-2009 01:04 PM
unable to install KDE4 in slackware 12 gopi.d Slackware 21 08-06-2009 02:52 AM
kde4.2 and slackware 12.2 specialized Slackware 7 05-07-2009 07:26 AM
slackware and kde4 mbvo Linux - Software 4 09-08-2008 03:25 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration