LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   KDE equivalent for Thunar's Bulk Rename ? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/kde-equivalent-for-thunars-bulk-rename-4175480579/)

kikinovak 10-13-2013 03:49 AM

KDE equivalent for Thunar's Bulk Rename ?
 
Hi,

On my Xfce desktop I have a GUI application that's very handy for mass-renaming files: Thunar's Bulk Rename. I'm using it quite often for renaming imported (ahem) music files and the likes, to have consistent naming schemes.

Anyone knows if something similar exists for KDE? (Maybe it's already installed, only I can't find it :p )

Cheers,

Niki

brianL 10-13-2013 04:07 AM

Haven't noticed anything "built in" for KDE, but have noticed this SlackBuild, krename, that might be suitable.

kikinovak 10-13-2013 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianL (Post 5044762)
Haven't noticed anything "built in" for KDE, but have noticed this SlackBuild, krename, that might be suitable.

Thanks. I took a look at it, and it doesn't seem very maintained. The screenshots on the project website go back to KDE 3.

brianL 10-13-2013 04:53 AM

Ah, never noticed that. I haven't used it, or needed anything like that yet. Came across it a while back, when I was doing some casual SlackBuild browsing.

fskmh 10-13-2013 07:48 AM

I normally add kdiff, krename and then krusader to the collection of KDE stuff that comes with Slack. Users that come from a Windows + Total Commander background seem to like it.

I just rebuilt them all again (with the newer krename-4.0.9) and everything seems fine on -current.

piacentini 10-13-2013 07:56 AM

Dolphin has limited support for batch renames: select more than one file and the RENAME context menu to see it in action. It is good for simple sequential renames but not as powerful as the other options mentioned here.

cascade9 10-13-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikinovak (Post 5044758)
On my Xfce desktop I have a GUI application that's very handy for mass-renaming files: Thunar's Bulk Rename. I'm using it quite often for renaming imported (ahem) music files and the likes, to have consistent naming schemes.

Anyone knows if something similar exists for KDE? (Maybe it's already installed, only I can't find it :p )

You could use EasyTag, it can rename files.

Oddly enough, I actually have a 'Rename' option when I right click with dolphin. Maybe I've got some cruft hanging around from when I had Xfce installed....

DarkVision 10-13-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikinovak (Post 5044787)
Thanks. I took a look at it, and it doesn't seem very maintained. The screenshots on the project website go back to KDE 3.

Just a note: krename 4.0.9 is for KDE4.

brianL 10-13-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cascade9 (Post 5044846)
Oddly enough, I actually have a 'Rename' option when I right click with dolphin. Maybe I've got some cruft hanging around from when I had Xfce installed....

I have too, it's a default option. Don't know if it does mass-renames like Niki wants, though.

dals 01-24-2014 10:26 PM

Looking at the same thing myself - found the alternatives lacklustre at best (some do more complex rename rules than others but haven't found one that does regexps as yet, for instance)

Thunar -B URI1 URI2 etc. will open the bulk renaming window from thunar, I'm now looking into writing a kdeservice menu addon thing for it - the next step would be assigning it a keyboard shortcut (would like to have it fire upon pressing f2 with multiple objects selected, and not with single/no objects selected like it does in thunar, but I doubt I'll end up with that elegant a solution)...

And....back. The below seems to work. I had previously installed the kdeservices menu addon package (via alien as it only comes as an rpm and I'm on mint), and I just copied one of the existing entries in /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenu and fiddled with it. The Actions line tells dolphin which of the below [Desktop Action] sections to use (although in this case there is only one), and the "%U" passes the names of all selected files to thunar -B (need those double quotes around the %U or it only passes the first of the selected files).

I saved the below as /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenu/Thunar-Bulk-Rename_servicemenu.desktop, but whatever name you think suits would do. I imagine that it wouldn't take that much tweaking to get this to work without kdeservicemenus installed (:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Service
ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/Plugin
MimeType=all/all;
Actions=BulkRename;
X-KDE-StartupNotify=false
X-KDE-Priority=TopLevel

[Desktop Action BulkRename]
Name=Send to Thunar's Bulk Rename
Exec=thunar -B "%U"
Icon=/usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/scalable/thunar.svg


The shortcut front isn't looking that good though - forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=95924 suggests that it wouldn't be easy to have (i.e. there are no plans to implement) shortcuts for right click menu items :(

Didier Spaier 01-24-2014 11:04 PM

Already approved, rename is expected to be released in next batch from slackbuilds.org. See in git repository this commit.

kikinovak 01-25-2014 12:39 AM

Well, since I moved back to Xfce as main DE, the problem more or less solved itself. Thunar Bulk Rename it is again.

rkelsen 01-25-2014 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikinovak (Post 5104822)
Well, since I moved back to Xfce as main DE, the problem more or less solved itself. Thunar Bulk Rename it is again.

Why does it matter? You can use Thunar Bulk Rename under KDE. It works perfectly fine.

gargamel 01-25-2014 09:27 AM

I can't speak for Niki, of course, but I like consistency in the sense that I want to use "native" KDE applications and tools when I use KDE, and Xfce applications and tools under Xfce. Despite all the good efforts of Freedesktop.org and the likes, Qt/KDE programs still do not look (well, sometimes they do...) and feel like Gtk+ or Xfce programs and vice versa.

Another motivation may come into play if you run a business based on setting up and maintaining systems for your clients: If it's possible to get all the desired functionality and comfort in just one desktop environment, this would be the only one that has to be installed and maintained. Reduced effort, more time for new projects and your family, and a better balance of work and life are possible impacts. ;)

gargamel

kikinovak 01-25-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gargamel (Post 5104979)
I can't speak for Niki, of course, but I like consistency in the sense that I want to use "native" KDE applications and tools when I use KDE, and Xfce applications and tools under Xfce.

+1 on that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.