LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
fogpipe
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Distribution: Slackware 64 Current
Posts: 327

Rep: Reputation: 77

Fluxbox is a great window manager and if you start akonadi you can probably run kmail in it. The only kde app that i use regularly is kmix, which seems to work well as long as you dont run kde. Konsole runs in fluxbox, tho there are better terms imo. Fluxbox has real transparency if you run it with xcompmgr, pseudo transparency otherwise and has virtual desktops. You likely already have fluxbox installed and if you get rox from slackbuilds you will get a desktop and filemanager to go with flux that offer nearly instantaneous response and are highly configurable.
 
Old 05-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #17
emgee_1
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware 14
Posts: 39

Rep: Reputation: 6
I use also de kde 4.10.2 version on slackware 14 32bit. Sometimes I feel some sluggishness. But by far this is the best kde4 version I ever experienced

I disabled nepomuk, but read somewhere that it is better to remove kdepim if you do not use it, because merely starting a clock applet will wake up the nepomuk server.

I do not use thunderbird or kmail though. I used to use claws but I am now rather happy with mutt. And tmux and newsbeuter combo for news.

I use recoll for desktop search. Which I have running as a deamon. A little helper (recollrunner) acts in dolphin(!) for searching:
simply typing recollf:/search-words/ will find and deliver the results in dolphin which works pretty great.

There are (a lot) of post on the interwebs on improving your sluggishness of Kde: disabling animations, diabling special effects like:
blur, transparency () and enabling window resize. And then the oxygen theme is supposed to be also a resource hog.
But I use kfaenza for icons, theming is all solarized (which I find absolutely asthonishing great).
Sorry for being off topic.

Greetz

Marcel
 
Old 05-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #18
Erik_FL
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 797

Rep: Reputation: 247Reputation: 247Reputation: 247
I use XFCE 4 as a KDE alternative, but it lacks some of the features and applications of KDE. The most notable is that Thunar will not automatically mount or access shared network folders. If you typically access the same network folders all the time then it's not a big problem (mount them permanently). If you access a lot of different folders on different computers then it can be a hassle. Even running Dolphin from XFCE is a bit faster than from KDE, so I sometimes do that.

I like Amarok a lot. I've even considered installing it on Windows, though I'm nervous about all the KDE software that would be installed along with it.

Has anyone tried using Slackware without KDE? What programs do you use as alternatives to KDE applications?
 
Old 05-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #19
Diantre
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 390

Rep: Reputation: 150Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik_FL View Post
What programs do you use as alternatives to KDE applications?
There was a thread a while ago with exactly that title, Alternatives for KDE's Applications. The thread is a little old, but most of the suggestions there are still valid.
 
Old 05-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #20
Erik_FL
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 797

Rep: Reputation: 247Reputation: 247Reputation: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diantre View Post
There was a thread a while ago with exactly that title, Alternatives for KDE's Applications. The thread is a little old, but most of the suggestions there are still valid.
Thanks Diantre. That was very helpful. Now I need to try some of those and see how well they work for me.
 
Old 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #21
gargamel
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Distribution: Slackware, SLAX, OpenSuSE
Posts: 1,593

Rep: Reputation: 142Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogpipe View Post
Fluxbox is a great window manager and if you start akonadi you can probably run kmail in it. The only kde app that i use regularly is kmix, which seems to work well as long as you dont run kde. Konsole runs in fluxbox, tho there are better terms imo. Fluxbox has real transparency if you run it with xcompmgr, pseudo transparency otherwise and has virtual desktops. You likely already have fluxbox installed and if you get rox from slackbuilds you will get a desktop and filemanager to go with flux that offer nearly instantaneous response and are highly configurable.
Just run Kmail in Fluxbox (or any other WM, I guess), and Akonadi awakes automatically, no need to start it by hand.

gargamel
 
Old 05-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #22
gargamel
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Distribution: Slackware, SLAX, OpenSuSE
Posts: 1,593

Rep: Reputation: 142Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik_FL View Post
Thanks Diantre. That was very helpful. Now I need to try some of those and see how well they work for me.
In that thread everyone agrees that it is hard to replace Dolphin. My recommendation here would be SpaceFM, available from SlackBuilds.org. It looks ugly, but is very fast, feature-rich and relatively intuitive to use.

gargamel
 
Old 05-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #23
Iuz
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2012
Location: Brazil
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 22

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Just posting to thanks gudan for the mateslackbuild tip.
few days in it and I'm loving the experience, dont think Im coming back that easily to kde...
 
Old 05-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #24
smoooth103
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: NC, USA
Distribution: Slackware (64 bit)
Posts: 237

Rep: Reputation: 58
XFCE is absolutely great -- I thought I'd mention if you have issues/bugs with KDE you may want to try to clean out prior KDE configs and also completely remove the packages and reinstall. That is pretty much common sense but it really fixed many of the qwirks that were driving me away from KDE.
 
Old 05-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #25
JWJones
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Location: Cascadia
Distribution: Slackware, LinuxBBQ, OpenBSD, Mac OSX
Posts: 723

Rep: Reputation: 186Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoooth103 View Post
XFCE is absolutely great -- I thought I'd mention if you have issues/bugs with KDE you may want to try to clean out prior KDE configs and also completely remove the packages and reinstall. That is pretty much common sense but it really fixed many of the qwirks that were driving me away from KDE.
I have to agree with this. There are a lot of little niggling details that had started to drive me nuts with KDE, not to mention being too much, slow and sluggish on my hardware. Once I really started to delve into Xfce, I really began to appreciate its power, modularity, and responsiveness. Now, when I install Slackware, I forego KDE completely.
 
Old 05-05-2013, 01:40 AM   #26
dh2k
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Distribution: Slackware 13.0 (KDE 3.5.10 from 12.2; Xfce 4.6; Fluxbox); Slackware 13.1 (KDE 4.5)
Posts: 201

Rep: Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
I use the Trinity Desktop, which has:

-transparency
-konsole
-kmail

To run virtual desktops I keep qt4 installed and run VirtualBox.
for more info what version of slackware is Trinity in use on?

Last edited by dh2k; 05-05-2013 at 01:44 AM.
 
Old 05-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #27
kikinovak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: ElementaryOS, Ubuntu LTS, Slackware
Posts: 1,503

Rep: Reputation: 695Reputation: 695Reputation: 695Reputation: 695Reputation: 695Reputation: 695
I almost finished rehauling my Slackware-plus-Xfce-based Microlinux Enterprise Desktop. Moved everything to Github, cleaned the scripts, added a few licences, and I'm now busy reworking the documentation. I'll post the update in a few days. You can take a peek at the work in progress in the meantime.

https://github.com/kikinovak/desktop
 
5 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #28
JWJones
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Location: Cascadia
Distribution: Slackware, LinuxBBQ, OpenBSD, Mac OSX
Posts: 723

Rep: Reputation: 186Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikinovak View Post
I almost finished rehauling my Slackware-plus-Xfce-based Microlinux Enterprise Desktop. Moved everything to Github, cleaned the scripts, added a few licences, and I'm now busy reworking the documentation. I'll post the update in a few days. You can take a peek at the work in progress in the meantime.

https://github.com/kikinovak/desktop
Nice work, Nicolas!
 
Old 05-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #29
Woodsman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Distribution: Slackware 14.0
Posts: 3,476

Rep: Reputation: 532Reputation: 532Reputation: 532Reputation: 532Reputation: 532Reputation: 532
Quote:
for more info what version of slackware is Trinity in use on?
The official stable release is 3.5.13.1. A 3.5.13.2 release is imminent and a R14.0.0 release will be close behind.

The R14.0.0 release includes a lot of work with renaming and rebranding.

I'm using a pre R14.0.0 release from GIT and I'm typing from within Trinity right now. Everything I use is stable and pleasant to use. The project road map shows a late May release for R14.0.0.
 
Old 05-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #30
digger95
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Location: Indiana, PA
Distribution: Slackware 14
Posts: 330

Rep: Reputation: 45
I'm contemplating re-installing Slackware64 without KDE and forcing myself to find XFCE replacements just because it's so much faster on my machine and KDE feels as bloated to me as Windows. My needs are fairly simple but the programs I'd miss the most are K3b and Ktorrent.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KDE's Kate alternative in gnome? michaelinux Linux - Software 6 12-19-2011 10:39 PM
Tomboy alternative on KDE 4 rhodan1 Linux - Software 4 03-20-2011 03:59 AM
An eog alternative for KDE ? frenchn00b Linux - Software 3 08-11-2008 02:22 PM
KDE alternative to SoundConverter Jajamd Linux - Software 2 07-01-2007 05:30 AM
Slackware alternative? snocked Slackware 9 03-14-2003 04:22 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration